LoveandPurpose

drudgery vs. not one's passion - how to know the difference?

5 posts in this topic

According to @Leo Gura in the LPC following one's passion isn't just easy and effortless all the time. Sometimes it isn't fun: drudgery.

How do you differenciate between 'normal' drudgery and drudgery that comes along from not following one's purpose?

Edited by LoveandPurpose

I used to get bored and sick of working an office job I hated

Now I have my own business aligned with my life purpose. I still get bored sometimes and stuff gets tedious. But it's not that same feeling of wanting to rip your skin off. Or feeling like I can't make it 40 years to retirement doing the same job every day without killing myself.

The big thing for me is being able to see the bigger picture. I see the end goal of what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. If you work a job you hate, you're just doing a job for the money, and on a deeper level you know you're just helping to fill someone else's pockets. You're just a cog in a machine, and totally replaceable.

After a couple of months following your passion, you should be able to look at what you've accomplished so far and be proud of it, and feel like it's making a positive contribution to the world. That will keep you going.

Edited by Yarco

@LoveandPurpose If the resistance lasts for a month or so, then you have your hint. You can intute what you like, pay attention to your emotions.

6 hours ago, LoveandPurpose said:

According to @Leo Gura in the LPC following one's passion isn't just easy and effortless all the time. Sometimes it isn't fun: drudgery.

How do you differenciate between 'normal' drudgery and drudgery that comes along from not following one's purpose?

This is a very important Question. Here are my Answer that at least worked for me.

Firstly you have to check how this drudgery will advance you. If it does, don't fight it.

• Example Szenario: Lets say the Drudgery is a very, very stupid Assignment in University, something that hurts you almost physically doing it because it's so backwards and a Teacher gets paid a lot money to teach this shit (h makes you angry because it probably make the students more stupid than they were before), but you have to earn that Degree before you can work in your Field AND you have to take that Course. So you bite the Bullet and just do it, because fighting this is just a Distraction. As you can see from my example I've encountered that problem a lot in University, lol. I would discuss how this makes no sense, but in School or a deadend Job it more about you bending to the will of others than about achieving something great (maybe I was too naive^^). Put in your Example and your irrational feelings...

CONCLUSION => Bend to the will of others for now, do the Drudgery, but work secretly towards your purpose.

Then it depends on how you frame it emotionally to yourself. Put any drudgery in the service of some purpose and it becomes work that brings you to your purpose. That means you create a reminder of your purpose, that makes you feel that you work TOWARDS something. Example Thoughts:

• 'Ok, fuck it. I do this work to get this money to build my passion. It may take years and I have to run and struggle but some day I can break free if I follow this plan'.

Edited by supremeyingyang