28 cm unbuffed

Intelligence and happiness

2 posts in this topic

https://themindsjournal.com/intelligence-cant-find-happiness/

What do you guys think about it? Ignorance is bliss, etc. Also society brainwashing (f.e House M.D - "When I'm happy, I'm worse diagnostician"). 

I believed that. Now, after listening to Leo for a long time, I want to believe, that, the more intelligent you are, the happier you are. I wanted to be happy, so I dumbed myself down. I think I just realized that. I want to be smart, intelligent, brilliant, as I naturally am, but I don't want to sacrifice my happiness for that.

Is it really one or another? 

Edited by 28 cm unbuffed

To me, what is described is a very limited view of intelligence. It is contracted into analysis and rational intelligence, which is just a subset of a more expansive intelligence that includes creativity, emotion, intuition and wonder. Ime, there is no need to reject analytical/rational intelligence since it is one spoke on the wheel of intelligence. The problem is when there is contraction into that subset of intelligence and it wants to “run the show”. It can become a bully.

In terms of SD theory, this would be like being contracted in Orange level analysis/rationality. Someone like Richard Dawkins. Is he happy? It doesn’t seem so since he is so contracted. Yellow level thinkers inter-connect various forms of intelligence including, yet not limited to, analysis/rationality. It no longer dominates and Is integrated and balanced. Are such people happier? I would say yes, since they are no longer contracted into a subset of higher intelligence, they are free to explore.