Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheHealer

The Bible/Eckhart Tolle/Heaven/Hell/inconsistencies

11 posts in this topic

I've been reading The Bible recently and getting a lot out of it.

Over the years I have paid more attention to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. I have found them extremely beneficial in some regards. However, I find inconsistencies in his teachings. He uses examples from The Bible to reinforce his basic message of "being in the now", such as: 

"Jesus speaks of the five careless (unconscious) women who do not have enough oil (consciousness) to keep their lamps burning (stay present) and so miss the bridegroom (the Now) and don't get to the wedding feast (enlightenment)." 

Yet he also decries the teachings of Jesus by stating "belief in a future heaven creates a present hell" 

Throughout the book of Matthew, Jesus often speaks in the FUTURE tense, and is clearly warning of a FUTURE heaven and hell, that we need to PREPARE for... 

So why is ET contradicting himself, by using Christ to reinforce his own beliefs, yet also denouncing Christ's teachings? 

I happen to disagree with him that belief in a future heaven creates a present hell. Belief in a future heaven *can* inspire people to live a decent, moral, pure life. Whereas living constantly in "the now" *can* create so much evil and suffering - this is an extreme example - but: a "spiritual" person who murdered someone could soothe his conscience by meditating and believe that what he'd done is unimportant because it's in the past. Then his proclivity for evil might cause repeat offences, and then for a while he might feel deep guilt and regret... but then he could just meditate and forget about it all. His core belief that living "in the now" is the most important thing is something he could use to absolve himself of any wrongdoing he might commit. And this applies to other less extreme examples. 

Something to think about. ?

What is the present moment? Can you pinpoint it? What is future, in your experience right now? 

3 minutes ago, TheHealer said:

Something to think about. ?

It's not something to think about. The construct of time exists only as a thought. 

You go grocery shopping because you plan for the future. Planning only happens now. Action only happens now. The mind concerns itself with thoughts like "I hate grocery shopping", "I don't have time to get everything", "this line is so long". It's not planning, not acting, not present. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

3 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

What is the present moment? Can you pinpoint it? What is future, in your experience right now? 

It's not something to think about. The construct of time exists only as a thought. 

You go grocery shopping because you plan for the future. Planning only happens now. Action only happens now. The mind concerns itself with thoughts like "I hate grocery shopping", "I don't have time to get everything", "this line is so long". It's not planning, not acting, not present. 

Very good, well done, 

But I don't need to be given a lesson on presence, like I said I've studied Eckhart Tolle a lot. 

Not only that, but for the past two years, I've meditated every day for long periods and even had enlightenment experiences. 

However, it has only gotten me so far, and I am an independent thinker.

My main point was about Jesus and Eckhart Tolle. If Jesus' message was really about living in the moment, he wouldn't have used the future tense so much! 

@TheHealer There's no conflict whatsoever.  

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@mandyjw Did you actually read my original post, and do you have anything useful to say, or are you just gonna repeat platitudes and tell yourself that you're making a worthwhile contribution? 

@TheHealer I get where you are coming from. Can you consider this possibility? When Jesus talked about the future, he really didn't believe in a "better" or "worse" future. He didn't believe in a future at all. But he had to communicate with other people who still operate in that paradigm, which is completely fine. Otherwise, we couldn't communicate. For example, I don't believe in good or bad. I know that they don't exist as they thought to be. But I still use the words all the time. If Jesus existed and he was enlightened, which I believe to be the case, I assure you that he was perfectly aware that there is no absolute decent, moral, pure life. He said those things to point to something. He said those things because what we call "immoral actions" come from not being awake to the eternal now and believing yourself to be a separate entity who needs things to happen. You see, things can only be "better" to a subject that needs something to happen. Jesus Christ was not operating from that level. When he was upset he was not upset because he needs other people to do something. He was not upset because of lack. He was upset because of Love, because people were unconscious to Love/Infinite Consciousness. "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do".

If I see someone walking into an unknown territory (like the future), I will tell them to be aware and prepared for potential dangers.

If I see someone panicking over losing in a video game, I will tell them that they can never lose because they are already complete in the present moment.

Notice that the difference in context creates a difference in approach. In our modern societies, we panick over extremely silly stuff. So, it is most useful to point that out.

@TheHealer I am not sure where you are going but living in the future and creating your hell is not inaccurate.  

By thinking about the weekend when its Monday is robbing you of being present in Monday.  In the context of ET.  If you are not in the now, you are robbing yourself of joy.  

There is a difference of being the future in the now and thinking about how much better your life will be in the future.