Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
krazzer

Is Enlightenment The Right Side Brain?

13 posts in this topic

I've been meditating almost every day for the last 3 to 4 years of my life now, and I've had multiple enlightenment experiences.

I'm not sure if I can say i'm truly 'enlightened' but I know for sure that my current mind state is in a completely different plain of existence than most people around me, and completely different than my own mind a few years ago.

While still being very grounded and a rational person, I really buy into the idea that the I is an illusion and that awareness is greater than our body.

However, a few days back i started reading this book: https://www.amazon.com/My-Stroke-Insight-Scientists-Personal/dp/0452295548

Which basically says that the left side of our brain is the rational part, which creates thoughts, and that the right side brain is awareness and does not create thoughts but is aware of what happens in the rest of the brain and is aware that we are all one big energy field.

Also if parts of the left side brain are disabled, the right side brain's awareness brings one onto a permanent blissful state, or Nirvana as Buddhist monks call it.

So is meditating nothing more than training your right side brain to be more dominant?

Is everything we are trying to achieve here basically this, and could you even call it spirituality? Isn't it all just neuroscience?

Not that it really matters, the result is the same, I'm just curious how you guys look at this? 

Easy choices, hard life. Hard choices, easy life.

It very well could be! I dont know what goes on with other peoples brains and lives but in my case I have been strengthening my right brain with 25 years of being a visual artist and musician ( left handed) and not taking seriously most of what people usually do like work, money, wealth, friends, relationships, school who knows, umm cars, whatever - none of it is impórtant to me at all. I just spend my time helping people or living in nature where I like best to be. I am really happy and really enjoy just doing nothing ( well technically staring at trees is something) . It also occured to me that spirituality might not be a good name for being -  just a flashy one people like to use. Well Iam going to watch the video CHEERS

9 minutes ago, Kevin Dunlop said:

It very well could be! I dont know what goes on with other peoples brains and lives but in my case I have been strengthening my right brain with 25 years of being a visual artist and musician ( left handed) and not taking seriously most of what people usually do like work, money, wealth, friends, relationships, school who knows, umm cars, whatever - none of it is impórtant to me at all. I just spend my time helping people or living in nature where I like best to be. I am really happy and really enjoy just doing nothing ( well technically staring at trees is something) . It also occured to me that spirituality might not be a good name for being -  just a flashy one people like to use. Well Iam going to watch the video CHEERS

the brain is just an organ of the body, that is used to function and control the body,  now what fuels the brain and the body?  Consciousness , the body is a physical replication of consciousness,  what ever your problem is in the physical body , the root cause is in your consciousness, maybe created long ago.  consciousness created this body, to function in here in this dimension,  you became lost in the identity that you created to play here, believing that you was it,  now what can you do to regain the state of being that you lost when that happened.  how long did it take you to lose yourself and become this human identity.   when you drop the identity and  your belief system which is nothing but programing,  and take up that space of being again, that is enlightenment,

cool Dog, I didnt like the video it was so watered down,  but I really enjoyed your comment thanks. I was fortunate enough to learn to observe the results of my programmed, or I call it the learned identity - reprogram it myself with  much better ways I found, stop doing the disfunctional things I initially learned and see the results of the new reprogramming. Through this I learned that my identity was a programmed pile of problems handed down to me. But luckily it is also reprogrammable by me, with practice. Mostly I reprogram it to have an easier time with other people, but spiritual work is different it is freeing myself from the whole deal because none of it is really important in the end. I was freaked out, I must admit by how simple the explanation in the video sounded to me and how the more I find out about enlightenment the more it seems to match my experience - its not hard at all - it just comes naturally when you drop the identity and enjoy just being. I wanted it to be more mystical than that :) I was like oh no what if I am enlightened, I better not tell anybody. Hahahah

Edited by Kevin Dunlop

18 hours ago, krazzer said:

I've been meditating almost every day for the last 3 to 4 years of my life now, and I've had multiple enlightenment experiences.

So is meditating nothing more than training your right side brain to be more dominant?

I was thinking along the same lines lately, (also i wouldn´t say enlightenment is "nothing more" than ..this or that...but i´m quite shure the mind state that people associate with the term "enlightenment" has a lot to do with a Balance between the left and the right hemisphere, as opposed to beeing left brain or right brain dominated.

I experienced this because i was experimenting with an interessting technique that i came up myself (im crazy like that sometimes xD ) 

I meditate say 40minutes with the left eye closed and the left ear with ear plug, so this side just gets very little input (i can´t stop the physical sensations on left body half but those are minimal while sitting still ... then i do another 40 minutes with the right eye/ear closed/plugged.

It is super interessting, after 10-15minutes a shift happens and i usually get very tired/ unfocused if the left half is shut down, i also usually get songs stuck in my head on one side, and always get al lot of thought aka words/sentences with the right "side active"

also Planing things occurs alot on the right side on rarely on the left side, with the left side "active" i usually feel quite "desireless" like a child ... it is really fascinating ... try it for yourself ... the effect gets more prominent the longer you do each side

I would say you actually get to know to 2 parts of your personality "clean" for themselves...after that i do 20min with both eyes ears open to integrate the whole experience ...

enjoy :) 

Edited by Falk

You guys are totally underestimating enlightenment!

You should be more interested in becoming of aware of the fact that "right side of the brain" is a thought inside nothingness.

When you say "brain", you say it as thought it really exists.

Might want to question that assumption.

Where was the brain before you were born?

Did it exist?

No?

Then what possible significance could it have to you or to truth?

All this brain-talk is shallow, shallow, shallow. You need to look 1000 miles under the surface.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On 15/7/2016 at 4:08 AM, Leo Gura said:

You guys are totally underestimating enlightenment! 

Did it exist?

No?

Hi Leo,

I agree, Ill get back to writing more seriously for you now. I was just trying to soften up the ego´s certianty a bit by saying it ¨could be that x exists¨ then weaving a silly word knot around it making it easy enough to realize that it also could not exist, like everything else. But Leo seriously now, I want to say that there are no ¨you guys¨out there somewhere, there is definately no Kevin Dunlop either. No keyboards no screens. You dont have to have any fears, about someones getting it or not getting it. If you have to think of, us out here, think of us as these amazing beings that only feel unconditional love for you and everything else equally. There is no need to fear for us or anything else, everything is perfect the way it is, so lets just feel the peace of knowing that everything is going to be fine. 

This is just a 2D ( dualistic) word knot being weaved here, that can never be real enough to explain any true reality. Infact we are not really communicating now, you are just communicating with yourself, there is no Kevin Dunlop somewhere out there writing to you. He never existed, he doesnt do anything, he´s not real so no one has to worry about him. Lets just think of him one last time though as this amazing being, really just unconditional love.... then let him disappear. Poof! Gone..true emptiness.

Now I am sure you realize that you are the same Leo. Not an ego, an amazing being, just unconditional love for everything, no real fears of any kind. Now feel that love, trust it, and poof! You are gone too now, emptiness Leo, just emptiness thats all there is.  

Edited by Kevin Dunlop

On 13/7/2016 at 4:36 PM, krazzer said:

Also if parts of the left side brain are disabled, the right side brain's awareness brings one onto a permanent blissful state, or Nirvana as Buddhist monks call it.

Get used to seeing the egos dualistic false reality as uneeded. Here I disable my ego not my brain

I had the same thought from a book called a case against reality. 

That book is indeed very interesting! There is definitely something to the right brain theory. Though, it's also more than that. I think what it really boils down to is that the left brain is where the seed of Maya (the illusion of separation) is planted and grown; it's the part of the brain that shrinks consciousness, chops the whole down into small pieces, analyzes, and passes judgment on the individual pieces. The left brain creates nothing but distortions. When you are walking in nature if you are resting in open awareness of the whole, you are in the right brain. When you see a bird and you focus on that bird with the left brain, your consciousness shrinks and the background becomes blurry. These are all distortions. The right brain is more open, with less distortion and less pull from duality. So by moving into a space that is more open and less distorted you create an environment that is more conducive to realization. It's not that the right brain is enlightenment, but for the average person that lives their life mostly from the left brain, moving more to the right is a necessary step on that path to free themselves from Maya. All spiritual methods including meditation, self inquiry, devotion, etc all water that right brain seed. So this is not something that needs to be consciously done, it is something that tends to happen all by itself under the covers. There are also other parts of the brain that are equally important for realization, so it's not so simple to just be right brain and nothing else. The science of what goes on in the brain during meditation and "enlightenment" is extremely fascinating!

Edited by MountainCactus

My experience of Awakening was recognizing the entire construct of the "ME" was an illusion.

After the ME fell away, It was simultaneously recognized Duality is an illusion because there never was a ME to begin with, it just felt like there was(Maya) 

One thing occurring and appearing as many...❤ Non-Duality...

Liberation was recognizing the sufferer never existed, and completely seeing through the egoic self agenda and the way it controls the apparent individual.

I like to describe the whole apparent process as jailbreaking the mind, disentangling from social conditioning and snapping out of The Matrix. 

When the mechanism that creates suffering is seen through it's almost laughable. It's absolute perfection...

Its recognized Free Will is the dream of the individual. 

Everything is absolute perfection... what happens is the ME character places an overlay over reality and then perceives it with that Veil over the top of it. What helps the individual is labeled as good and what doesn't is labeled as bad. If I like white rice and meditation, people that eat white rice and meditate are good, and the people that don't eat white rice and meditate are bad. The ME is the most important thing going on here.... ?

There's no longer a resistance to what is...

Enlightenment is seeing reality clear... the stories and judgments about what is, are eliminated. ❤

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi