Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Free Mind

Question About OneNote Common Place Book

9 posts in this topic

I would like to save my notes offline via hard drive like how Leo mentioned he does. The newest version of OneNote appears to only use cloud saving with no option for offline storage. I'm guessing Leo is using an older version of OneNote? Any ideas?

Buy version 2010 on eBay.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

Buy version 2010 on eBay.

Figured. Thanks.

The online version has it's upsides. For example, I can take notes on my laptop at home, or switch to my phone for reference or quick notes on the go.

One valuable feature I've used is switching to my iPad and using an apple pencil to draw into OneNote with pencil-like precision.

Obvious downside is that you're at the mercy of the cloud.

3 hours ago, JohnD said:

The online version has it's upsides. For example, I can take notes on my laptop at home, or switch to my phone for reference or quick notes on the go.

One valuable feature I've used is switching to my iPad and using an apple pencil to draw into OneNote with pencil-like precision.

Obvious downside is that you're at the mercy of the cloud.

Yeah, I realize. There are things in my notes I ain’t comfortable sharing through the cloud. 

How effective is writing notes on iPad? Do you find that it works and isn’t gimmicky? 

@Free Mind Writing on iPad is great. I can take any drawing I've made and redraw it into OneNote, or even type some notes and draw a visual next to it.

Like you said, cloud connectivity is a disadvantage, but enables this seamless switching.

If you really want to create a commonplace books use Notion.so - it's by far the most advanced note taking service out there, you can structure it however you want. 

This video is a good representation of what you can create. But bear in mind you don't have to go that deep unless you need to, the service itself is very easy to use. 

You will want to go to export and make a back up of one note like that. However, I am not so sure that you will be able to edit it and what not offline, but you will at least have a backup of it that way.