lostmedstudent

Career failure

35 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, lostmedstudent said:

@Elisabeth yeah but psychiatrists have more of a leadership role. we are physicians. we can prescribe medications, we can help people in acute crisis, in psychiatric emergency, severe inpatient management, etc. we have more decision making and power compared to other mental health workers involved in the therapy. psychological issues are dealt in multidisciplinary fashions and psychiatrists are like the conductor in the therapeutic orchestra. 

I never thought of it that way. It's interesting and maybe for severe cases it's true. 

For me, if you want a leadership role, take a leadership role, but don't be my psychiatrist. If a psychiatrist is the conductor of an orchestra dealing with my healing, that's quite wrong. It should be me taking the initiative. I go to a psychiatrist for medication recommendation and prescriptions, which is all a psychiatrist has ever given me. Healing? That happened in therapy and through other initiatives of mine. My first psychiatrist wouldn't have even sent me to therapy.

In my opinion, if you haven't done so yet, you should arrange with a doctor to spend some time in his office. It may be problematic because of patients' privacy. But you really want to know how the job is like before you strive for it. It might burst some of your illusion-bubble. 

If you wanna be involved in psychedelic research, that's a different story, go figure out how to do that. 

@Nahm <3 <3 <3 needed to hear that, thank you

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Have you taken my LP Course? If not, that would really help you here.

i have not, and i will :) thank you leo <3 <3 <3

6 hours ago, Evil Raccoon said:

I can't find somethin healthy or positive in Blue.I just CAN'T stand that stage!

That's a big problem.

Go study stage Blue in more detail. There are many healthy and important aspects to it.

17 minutes ago, lostmedstudent said:

i have not, and i will :) thank you leo <3 <3 <3

That's your problem right there.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Go study stage Blue in more detail. There are many healthy and important aspects to it.

There is?

Shit dude...Just listening to the Stage Blue episode alone makes me feel anger, fear, hate and all kinds of negative emotions.To me these people are crazy! I feel really unconfortable studying blue.

Edited by Evil Raccoon

I'm not friendly.

12 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

That's your problem right there.

Good marketing strategy :D 

Have you considered pegging yourself in more holistic psychiatry? To combine your knowledge of the human psyche with something like spirituality and life purpose adding other elements of holistic health such as diet and lifestyle modification. 

Despite psychiatry doctor being the leaders in the field, a lot of therapeutic approaches are based on pharmacological intervention that don't always produce long-term results and are predicated on life-long drug therapy. What if you could take the person's life and turn it around completely by tackling their case 365 from all angles. You would be unstoppable. And having a medical degree and calling yourself a doctor would give you more power and authority than anyone else. 

Just a food for thought :)

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

21 hours ago, Evil Raccoon said:

There is?

Shit dude...Just listening to the Stage Blue episode alone makes me feel anger, fear, hate and all kinds of negative emotions.To me these people are crazy! I feel really unconfortable studying blue.

Those emotional reactions and judgments are the clue which tells you that your mind is resisting some truth.

If you properly integrate Blue you will no longer be emotionally triggered by it and you will stop judging it.

You clearly have some Blue shadow that requires integration for you to reach the next level of your evolution.

18 hours ago, lostmedstudent said:

Good marketing strategy :D 

It's not a marketing strategy. The course was designed to deal with that precise issue.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Advanced issue found

?
On 26/05/2020 at 2:56 AM, EddieEddie1995 said:

Advanced issues found

On 26/05/2020 at 2:56 AM, EddieEddie1995 said:

@Leo Gura It looks like you have some good motivating skills! Is that something you are working on ? :P

For those who can't afford the LP course, this post will be very helpful :-) 

I think you should not worry so much. You have to accept it as it is. Modern life is hard, and not everyone gets what they want. I think physician is good job and you will succeed in future! Don't give up. By the way if you will have problems with license, guys from medicallicensing.com/state/texas/ can always help you!

Edited by Onfeetable

On 5/27/2020 at 0:55 PM, lostmedstudent said:

@Elisabeth yeah but psychiatrists have more of a leadership role. we are physicians. we can prescribe medications, we can help people in acute crisis, in psychiatric emergency, severe inpatient management, etc. we have more decision making and power compared to other mental health workers involved in the therapy. psychological issues are dealt in multidisciplinary fashions and psychiatrists are like the conductor in the therapeutic orchestra. 

I just want to let you know from a patient's perspective that you may be idealizing the psychiatrist's role a little bit. The majority of psychiatrists I know are just as conventional as any other field, many are atheists at stage Orange, and they don't take too kindly to a belief in the supernatural or prescribing psychedelics. Some of them won't see female patients if they get pregnant, partially because they don't want to get sued due to side effects, and partially because they don't like the idea of the mentally ill reproducing (I have horror stories). What many psychiatrists focus on is medication management. There are psychiatrists who do what you dream of, but they have to start their own practices as they are swimming upstream. Also, many private psychiatrists in my area (southern US) don't even take medical insurance, leaving the poor out of luck or dependent on county services. 

You sound more of a fit as a general practitioner or integrative medicine. You will see plenty of mentally ill people in your practice should you go that route, and you will have more freedom to pursue multidisciplinary treatments as a GP than as a psychiatrist. I honestly feel psychiatry is not that great a fit for you given the current state of things, and that you dodged a bullet by not being accepted into a program. Sorry, but congratulations :D

Edited by Nobody_Here

On 5/28/2020 at 8:02 AM, Evil Raccoon said:

There is?

Blue has many healthy aspects;

- Discipline

- Responsibility/Accountability

- Respect for authority

- Teamwork & Organization (Apart of something greater than yourself. Military etc.)

- Respect for law & order

Blue is very important. Society as we know it simply couldn't function without it. Rules exist for a reason. It is the foundation and bedrock for other things to be built. The problem with Blue is that people who get stuck in it are locked into tradition by indoctrination, and fear upsetting the order that protects them. They get neurotic about following the rules they've always known and hate individual idealism.

But of course as you learn the next stage transcends this and integrates personal ambition.

Edited by Roy

hrhrhtewgfegege

@Nobody_Here thank you 

its an eternal battle inside of me.

i will see where my heart leads me but i do wanna give psychiatry another try. I feel like i didnt try hard enough

you gave me a different perspective so thanks for that :)  

@lostmedstudent

I can relate on some level, as I am a veterinarian, and had followed a similar, lengthy path to receive my medical training.  I was fortunate to obtain the residency I desired, so I can only empathize with your disappointment. 

I think your feeling of overwhelm, disappointment and displeasure with the system are understandable.  Make sure you remind yourself that this pain will reduce with time, there is some relief that comes with knowing the pain will subside. 

My recommendation would be to reframe the circumstance. 

Your options (in general) are two. 

1) Move forward in family medicine, embrace it as the path that has chosen you. Focus and recognize all of benefits, and except some of the drawbacks.  It seems that half of what a family medicine doc does it help people with mental issues (anxiety, depression, etc.).  With a special interest in psychology/therapy, you can provide a lot of value for your patients on the front line.  Perhaps it isn't what you envisioned, but on some level you can work in a similar capacity and really help your patients. 

2) Do the family medicine residency, then continue to pursue a psychology residency.  Target two psychiatry programs and spends weeks to months volunteering with their teams.  You have to play the game.  They will rank you higher if they like you.