Someone here

How to quit smoking??

64 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Someone here said:

27 days 

it took me about 2 months to completely feel like i could live withouth smoking "just fine". Hold on. Once you pass a certain amount of time, youll hit that realization of "I dont need this anymore!". It´s just like an eureka moment Lol.

I used to smoke when I was a student. I wanted to give up but couldn't till the stress of exams was over, although I tried many times. I managed to cut down, but stopping altogether proved too much for my will power.  Out of desperation I chose a day to quit, smoked a whole pack in the evening until I felt completely sick, but forced myself to keep on smoking when I hated it. That seemed to reprogram my brain somehow out of the belief that smoking was nice - my last memory of smoking was pretty unpleasant. Like DIY aversion therapy I guess.

Some years later when I was in London I visited an exhibition called Body  Worlds  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Worlds which showed dissected and preserved human and animal bodies. Pretty gruesome for sure, also quite artistic, and it had some lungs on display - smokers next to non-smokers and the difference was amazing, Also bodies with cancer. I never forgot it and want to keep healthy now! 

Yeah, it still took a couple of months for the nicotine cravings to fully die down. But they did, and the improvement in my fitness, sense of taste and smell was brilliant too! Like all the benefits of going jogging without the hard work! :)  Keep at it and it will be really worth it. 

Edited by snowyowl

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

I was a pack a day smoker for 4ish years, one day as I was delirious from quitting meth (a moderate user of about a year and half), laughing to myself maniacally, I realized how stupid it was and felt my life falling apart connected to smoking. I haven’t smoked for about a year and a half and still just really don’t want a cigarette, I’ll get a craving for it if I wiff a familiar good one but it’s not rational enough I act on it. 
I quit meth and cigarettes at the same time so I already knew what it was to crave something and abstain from it. Cigarettes are supposed to be harder to quit than heroin or something like that my family says. 
I realized I didn’t want the dependency on nicotine to control my life anymore. I wanted my life back where I wasn’t chained to being outside in whatever climate if I didn’t feel like it.
Biggest set back is not looking cool but everyone knows it’s better for your body not to smoke, it shows restraint on an obvious topic of healthy or not healthy. You don’t need to be a toxicity farm with your breath. 
cigarettes have their place in mental wellness but that doesn’t mean you need to align with those things if you really don’t want to. 

When you’re done you realize just how stANKy it is. 

Edited by Mindflow
Additions

4 hours ago, Someone here said:

27 days 

Not even 1 smoke in 27 days and you're still not feeling well? Damn man I was feeling almost totally fine after just 4-7 days, sorry to hear you're still not feeling well. Hopefully it's just lung discomfort etc (which will get better in time), and not still withdrawal symptoms like anxiety, confusion, boredom, craving, exhaustion, insomnia, and anhedonia, right? Though I did kind of have the anhedonia for about a month as well, it wasn't so bad.

@Someone here Also, a big part of quitting smoking is just about growing up. You really don’t want to be the guy that dies because of self-inflicted smoking.

Sounds harsh, I’m sorry

Edited by RawJudah
Spelling mistake

13 hours ago, Tim Ho said:

Throw all cigarettes into the garbage can and stop buying more :) 

I had to throw them out the window while driving if I had any, otherwise I'd go back in the garbage to get them. 

At the end, I mostly vaped, but still I had to get rid of all my expensive vaping supplies before abstaining worked.

Edited by Ananta

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

2 hours ago, Ananta said:

At the end, I mostly vaped, but still I had to get rid of all my expensive vaping supplies before abstaining worked.

I'd also recommend vaping, if it weren't for his implication that it's been nearly a month since his last smoke. I was pretty much in the clear after like 4-7 days. When vaping, you quickly learn that it's not the nicotine that does the hooking... It's the MAOI alkaloids -- perhaps synergistic with the nicotine, but it certainly ain't the nicotine alone, lol.

28 minutes ago, The0Self said:

I'd also recommend vaping, if it weren't for his implication that it's been nearly a month since his last smoke. I was pretty much in the clear after like 4-7 days. When vaping, you quickly learn that it's not the nicotine that does the hooking... It's the MAOI alkaloids -- perhaps synergistic with the nicotine, but it certainly ain't the nicotine alone, lol.

Actually, I was just as hooked on vaping. I tried vape without nicotine and it was awful. Went back on the nicotine train within a day. 

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

1 minute ago, Ananta said:

Actually, I was just as hooked on vaping. I tried vape without nicotine and it was awful. Went back on the nicotine train within a day. 

Oh so was I. I guess what I meant is the withdrawal from smoking is quite a bit more unpleasant, which is why it was easy for me to stop smoking, but with vaping, the "stick" wasn't really present.

Just now, The0Self said:

Oh so was I. I guess what I meant is the withdrawal from smoking is quite a bit more unpleasant, which is why it was easy for me to stop smoking, but with vaping, the "stick" wasn't really present.

Oh, I see. I was a hard core vaper too?

Loved nicotine I guess...smoke or vape!

Glad those days are over.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

On 11/22/2020 at 7:27 AM, The0Self said:

Not even 1 smoke in 27 days and you're still not feeling well? Damn man I was feeling almost totally fine after just 4-7 days, sorry to hear you're still not feeling well. Hopefully it's just lung discomfort etc (which will get better in time), and not still withdrawal symptoms like anxiety, confusion, boredom, craving, exhaustion, insomnia, and anhedonia, right? Though I did kind of have the anhedonia for about a month as well, it wasn't so bad.

Still craving and still coughing and have some pain in my chest especially when sleeping and after meals. Keep in my mind I used to smoke so intense. 7 packs a week is just too much. I know my lungs are deeply affected. I can't run without losing my breath. So it's gonna take some time to recover from all that. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

@Someone here  sorry to hear you're going through this, but it's going to be worth it, perhaps the toxins deep inside your chest are coming out. Have you tried steam inhalations with essential oils, eg lavender which is a good all round healing herb. 

Edited by snowyowl
spelling

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

@snowyowl thanks man. No haven't tried any therapy or detoxing yet. I think I should. 

-Osho

16 hours ago, Someone here said:

still coughing

"Tobacco smoke slows the normal movement of the tiny hairs (cilia) that move mucus out of your lungs. When you stop smoking, the cilia become active again. As the cilia recover and the mucus is cleared from your lungs, you might cough more than usual — perhaps for several weeks. However, cough and most other respiratory symptoms, such as mucus production and shortness of breath, continue to improve for up to a year after stopping cigarette smoking."

"In the meantime, you can speed the process by staying well-hydrated. Drink plenty of fluids, such as water, tea and juice. Taking a couple of teaspoons of honey at bedtime and increasing the humidity in the air with a humidifier or vaporizer — particularly in cold weather — might also help. But there's no reason to suppress a cough with medicines unless it affects your sleep or causes extreme discomfort."

Mayo Clinic

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Ananta thank for the tips Ana ?

-Osho

4 minutes ago, Someone here said:

@Ananta thank for the tips Ana ?

No problem!?

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Ananta I find drinking hot drinks working as a lubricant. I feel better after drinking hot tea. My throat is so sore after years of heavy smoking I don't believe it's fixable at this point. But it can get better. 

Edited by Someone here

-Osho