Someone here

How to quit smoking??

64 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Roy said:

@Someone here Consider scaring the absolute shit out of yourself to change your relationship and perspective on smoking. Because whatever your attitude is towards it now, clearly isn't strong enough if you keep relapsing. This is more a blunt method and takes some courage, but you have to be willing to try radical things to make radial change. Wouldn't you agree?

When I say scare the shit out of yourself I don't mean just glance at all the warning labels and recall common tropes. I mean really immerse yourself in the consequences and become truly aware of what smoking does, can do, and WILL do to you. You better be sure it WILL happen.

Of course any smoker can "know" of all those things, and most do. But they don't care because simple acknowledgment and knowledge of all those things is just a game the ego plays with the mind to distract from with the problem. Having knowledge of something is not the same as being aware. People who are aware of the dangers of something don't participate in it, or at the very least they can control it.

I challenge you to go out of your way and spend literally HOURS finding the most grotesque images and videos you can find from lung damage caused by smoking. Read and listen to personal stories of people who suffered and recovered, and those who suffered and simply died from all the associated illnesses. Research and memorize the mortality rates and statistics of smoking. Really sit with the numbers and soak them in, don't just look away when you feel uncomfortable.

After you do that start to contemplate the future deeply and ask questions about the present and the future;

- Is this what I want to happen to my body? Is it already happening to some degree?

- Do I want to die this way?

- Does smoking align with the lifestyle I want? Is it inhibiting anything?

- If I have children or want to have children in the future, would I want them breathing this stuff in growing up?

- Do I want to be able to play sports and play with them without losing my breathe?

- Do I want to be hauling an O2 tank around as early as age 60?

- Do I want to be out of breathe going up a few stairs all the time?

You may come across stuff so vulgar and petrifying you wouldn't have imagined it. Well? It could be a reality for YOU if you don't change your ways.

It's completely possible for you to change though. I believe you can do it, it will just take courage. Do you have the guts? I dare you.

Good luck friend.

Yes I need to contemplate whether I'm happy with being a smoker . My uncle's recent heart attack was an eye opener. It was as a sign to me to quit. I might end up like him keeping in mind I also have poor diet and exercise and not so healthy lifestyle in general. But I'm determined to change all that asap. Thanks bro! 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

4 hours ago, Exystem said:

I just stumbled over this video in my youtube-newsfeed. I'm not the biggest fan of sadhguru but he has some intelligent things to say sometimes. Maybe it helps you :) I wish you success!

4 hours ago, Exystem said:

He is a wise dude. Got a good sense of humor as well :D . Will check him out! 

-Osho

Update : I think I'm making some progress. In the last week I smoked just three packs.  My goal is reduce it with time until I stop completely.  

-Osho

I reduced first to only smoking at nights.

That way you can stop smoking during the day and not feel so much anxiety you just know you will smoke at nights.

Do this for a couple of weeks and you will no longer miss smoking during mornings and afternoons.

Then it comes the most difficult part. Actually substituting that smoke of the night for other thing.

The best method is to bet money that you're going to last without nicotine for 1 week. Once a week is behind, you'll be more conscious about smoking as you have proven yourself to be a willed person.

On 11/19/2020 at 0:12 PM, JohnGiles said:

Well, how did you do it? I want to quit smoking, but it's hard, the habit is very strong, my body aches. 

There is no shortcut. You must to through the withdrawal process. You must put the damn cigarettes down. How? You simply put them down and face the pain. It's a choice between the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. 

-Osho

When I stopped I went through about 4 days of feeling kinda weird, then felt completely fine. I just decided I was done with it and dropped it like a sack of bricks. It happened to occur when I was just getting started with meditation, and the states I experienced were more than enough for me to feel satisfied, though I was still a seeker. Occasionally I have smoked 1 cig, once in a blue moon since then, and every time, I would have that same experience of just feeling kinda weird for 4 days (literally from 1 cig), which showed me that it wasn't worth it and I have no desire whatsoever for it now.

8 years ago, I was addicted to heroin, so I know what withdrawal is. Cigarette withdrawal is a fucking cakewalk.

Edited by The0Self

I have never been addicted to smoking but I ended up addicted to weed. Addictions usually cover up some emotions that we want to substitute. I would advise starting a mindfulness practice when you smoke. Taste that cigarette, how does it feel in your mouth, how does the smoke taste and what it does to your tongue. (Spoiler: it tastes horrible and you are dissociated)

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

22 minutes ago, tsuki said:

Taste that cigarette, how does it feel in your mouth, how does the smoke taste and what it does to your tongue. (Spoiler: it tastes horrible and you are dissociated)

Haha that's honestly not true. It's not  about the "taste" anyway. It's about the "high" so to speak. 

Edited by Someone here

-Osho

When I was addicted to heroin, I wanted nothing more than heroin. Never did I once feel like I wanted to stop, but couldn't. If I wanted to continue, I did. When I stopped, I went on subutex, then I continued taking that, because I wanted to. When I decided to get off that, I did, and that was utterly hellish pain, but the desire to get off it was stronger. When I quit smoking, I was in a much better place in life but as soon as I no longer wanted to smoke, I stopped. Just like that. If you want to stop, you certainly will.

@The0Self oh man heroin is no joke.. I'm glad you recovered from that. 

-Osho

1 hour ago, Someone here said:

Haha that's honestly not true. It's not  about the "taste" anyway. It's about the "high" so to speak. 

And the high does what? Does it no let you feel differently than you normally would? Or maybe feel at all?

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

29 minutes ago, tsuki said:

And the high does what? Does it no let you feel differently than you normally would? Or maybe feel at all?

Ofcourse man. I'm just saying in case you are experienced with it. It is definitely not worth it. That's why I'm quitting. And I'm making some good progress. 

-Osho

@Someone here Good job! 

I was never able to really cut back on nicotine. If I did it didn't last long. I had to just completely abstain. 

Good luck with it all.

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

16 minutes ago, acidgoofy said:

I took 5 grams magic mushromms almost 4 years ago about a week after that stopped smoking

I didn't even have the intend to stop it just seemed so stupid to do it lol

Nice!

My dad smoked for 50 years and one day just said, hmm, I won't go buy any and see what happens. That was 10 years ago or so. Lol

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Simply never buy cigarettes ever again. Stop hanging around people that smoke. Think about yourself as a non-smoker. 

Also think about what its doing to your body. Have some compassion for your lungs.

Thats what helped me anyway.

3 hours ago, RawJudah said:

Simply never buy cigarettes ever again. Stop hanging around people that smoke. Think about yourself as a non-smoker. 

Also think about what its doing to your body. Have some compassion for your lungs.

Thats what helped me anyway.

Man my lungs still hurt. I have moments of short breathing while sleeping it's affecting my ability to sleep. I hope this Will get better soon. 

-Osho

21 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

How much time since you quit?

27 days 

Edited by Someone here

-Osho