Someone here

How to quit smoking??

64 posts in this topic

I have a smoking addiction.  Trying to quit since 2018 but always falling.  I realized I was deluding myself. I can keep repeating the cycle of "just one more cigarette" for the rest of my  life and will still want "just one more cigarette".  It's getting to intense phases.  Nowadays I smoke 7 packs a week or so.  My uncle just had a heart attack recently because he is a heavy smoker as well.  I need to stop or I will be  following his path.  It's getting to the point I wake up at night to smoke.    

Any tips? 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

I suggest reading the book from Allen carr on quitting smoking. It has helped an insane amount of people to quit, and it also helped me. It's very good.

Edited by Shiva99

"I should've been a statistic, but decided to go against all odds instead. What if?" - David Goggins.

26 minutes ago, Shiva99 said:

I suggest reading the book from Allen carr on quitting smoking. It has helped an insane amount of people to quit, and it also helped me. It's very good.

Thank you. Will check it out! 

-Osho

I smoked different brands on and off only with friends but never bought my own packet. I was trying to be open-minded about smoking. I must say I'd experienced some tranquiliser effects, but then I'd noticed that I started craving more and that my baseline level of tranquillity had decreased i.e. I started feeling more agitated on a regular basis unless I smoke. At that point, I knew that it was a trap and that things would only get worse. So, from that moment on, I decided to stop accepting any cigarettes whatsoever. Still, I wasn't done. I'd see my friends smoking and I'd want to have one. It was a little bit difficult to me, especially when they stopped offering me cigarettes. I felt left out, like I didn't exist. That was mainly the motivation behind my desire to smoke to begin with. I wanted to belong with my friends. I wanted to belong with the group. I believe that's what motivates most people to start smoking, or really anticipate with anything new. If that's the case for you, then I'd introspect deeply into it. That inquiry alone could unravel the whole idea and paint it as silly.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by The observer

1 hour ago, Shiva99 said:

This ^^^ ...and completely abstaining!

I smoked since I was 12 and then at 42 I "mostly" vaped heavily for roughly another 5 years. I quit cold turkey 3 years ago and haven't cheated.

Trust me, abstaining is the only way to never do it again. 

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

1 hour ago, The observer said:

I smoked different brands on and off only with friends but never bought my own packet. I was trying to be open-minded about smoking. I must say I'd experienced some tranquiliser effects, but then I'd noticed that I started craving more and that my baseline level of tranquillity had decreased i.e. I started feeling more agitated on a regular basis unless I smoke. At that point, I knew that it was a trap and that things would only get worse. So, from that moment on, I decided to stop accepting any cigarettes whatsoever. Still, I wasn't done. I'd see my friends smoking and I'd want to have one. It was a little bit difficult to me, especially when they stopped offering me cigarettes. I felt left out, like I didn't exist. That was mainly the motivation behind my desire to smoke to begin with. I wanted to belong with my friends. I wanted to belong with the group. I believe that's what motivates most people to start smoking, or really anticipate with anything new. If that's the case for you, then I'd introspect deeply into it. That inquiry alone could unravel the whole idea and paint it as silly.

Just my 2 cents.

I started out of curiosity didn't know will end up addicted.  I thought I can quit whenever I want but turns out was deluding myself. 

-Osho

1 hour ago, Anna1 said:

This ^^^ ...and completely abstaining!

I smoked since I was 12 and then at 42 I "mostly" vaped heavily for roughly another 5 years. I quit cold turkey 3 years ago and haven't cheated.

Trust me, abstaining is the only way to never do it again. 

I'm trying my best,! 

-Osho

Just now, Someone here said:

I'm trying my best,! 

It took me yearssssssssssssssss before I could kick the addiction. So, trust me I understand.

I quit 2 times before this for over a year each time and what got me re-addicted was in a stressful time I said, "I'll just have one cigarette". That's a lie.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

11 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

It took me yearssssssssssssssss before I could kick the addiction. So, trust me I understand.

I quit 2 times before this for over a year each time and what got me re-addicted was in a stressful time I said, "I'll just have one cigarette". That's a lie.

Good job! And congrats for quitting. 

I spotted that pattern of "just one more time". I'm becoming more aware of this lie and hopefully will progress in the future! 

-Osho

@Someone here Thanks, it seemed like it was a miracle tbh. 

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

On a macro perspective you need to change paradigms. When you get a need to fulfill your addiction, there is usually tension in your mind and body. There are methods to relax your mind/body, you will need to do some research. At the same time you will also need willpower. Don't let your thoughts set the terms. You set the terms and your thoughts should follow. If you let your thoughts roam, they will look for weak spots and seduce you to smoke again. Until your paradigm has changed you will have to do this until you take on a new persona; somebody who is not a smoker.

In Tate we trust

2 hours ago, StarStruck said:

On a macro perspective you need to change paradigms. When you get a need to fulfill your addiction, there is usually tension in your mind and body. There are methods to relax your mind/body, you will need to do some research. At the same time you will also need willpower. Don't let your thoughts set the terms. You set the terms and your thoughts should follow. If you let your thoughts roam, they will look for weak spots and seduce you to smoke again. Until your paradigm has changed you will have to do this until you take on a new persona; somebody who is not a smoker.

Thank you.  How can I change my perspective tho? 

-Osho

@Someone here I was a smoker too once so I do sympathize with your situation. I tried reading about benefit of quitting books, Allen Carrr's book is great. Even though they help they were not still good enough for me to unwind the pattern I created. I tried watching Anti smoking commercials which are horrific to say the least it worked for a while but then I relapsed. I tried smoke free app. It worked for while but then I relapsed. The thing about cigarette is it is a silent killer and the psychological and physiological dependence it puts people under is massive. You deeply want to quit even while you are smoking but the ego falters and then that shatters you will power. This addiction works at psyche level

If I have to mention a single thing that helped me it has to be 5Meo. After my breakthrough experience cigarette became history. I came in contact with my breath and found my center. To my surprise there was no urge and neuroticism to smoke.

You have made the first step which is your desire to quit. Therefore, my friend you have all options you can read books, use apps, watch videos and operate at language & psychological level or use the direct route of obliterating your ego and unwinding the pattern.  Best of lucks!

@Someone here 1. focus on doing the things you want to do, even when you smoke don't guilt yourself as you have done the most important things 

2. Practice kriya yoga/ breathing techniques like deep breathing or slow repetitive breathing as its a vaccine to overcome any addiction.

3. Meditate as it will give you more mindfulness towards your inner dialog imagery and feelings that trick you to smoke.

4. Get a support system like friends or family who will encourage you to stop, ask yourself why do you smoke? Or need to smoke ? It's just inhaling air and exhaling it out .. so why do it ? 

5. Try self hypnosis by Steve g Jones, you will find it in you tube, at least for the initial stages it can help you, once you gain momentum maintain it.

6. Willingness is a state of mind, because you are willing you will succeed be willing, be willing to do whatever it takes to succeed.

7. Each time you control your impulse, you build your willpower up. 

@Someone here Consider scaring the absolute shit out of yourself to change your relationship and perspective on smoking. Because whatever your attitude is towards it now, clearly isn't strong enough if you keep relapsing. This is more a blunt method and takes some courage, but you have to be willing to try radical things to make radial change. Wouldn't you agree?

When I say scare the shit out of yourself I don't mean just glance at all the warning labels and recall common tropes. I mean really immerse yourself in the consequences and become truly aware of what smoking does, can do, and WILL do to you. You better be sure it WILL happen.

Of course any smoker can "know" of all those things, and most do. But they don't care because simple acknowledgment and knowledge of all those things is just a game the ego plays with the mind to distract from with the problem. Having knowledge of something is not the same as being aware. People who are aware of the dangers of something don't participate in it, or at the very least they can control it.

I challenge you to go out of your way and spend literally HOURS finding the most grotesque images and videos you can find from lung damage caused by smoking. Read and listen to personal stories of people who suffered and recovered, and those who suffered and simply died from all the associated illnesses. Research and memorize the mortality rates and statistics of smoking. Really sit with the numbers and soak them in, don't just look away when you feel uncomfortable.

After you do that start to contemplate the future deeply and ask questions about the present and the future;

- Is this what I want to happen to my body? Is it already happening to some degree?

- Do I want to die this way?

- Does smoking align with the lifestyle I want? Is it inhibiting anything?

- If I have children or want to have children in the future, would I want them breathing this stuff in growing up?

- Do I want to be able to play sports and play with them without losing my breathe?

- Do I want to be hauling an O2 tank around as early as age 60?

- Do I want to be out of breathe going up a few stairs all the time?

You may come across stuff so vulgar and petrifying you wouldn't have imagined it. Well? It could be a reality for YOU if you don't change your ways.

It's completely possible for you to change though. I believe you can do it, it will just take courage. Do you have the guts? I dare you.

Good luck friend.

Edited by Roy

hrhrhtewgfegege

I just stumbled over this video in my youtube-newsfeed. I'm not the biggest fan of sadhguru but he has some intelligent things to say sometimes. Maybe it helps you :) I wish you success!

~ There are infinite ways to reunite that which already is one ~

15 hours ago, Arcangelo said:

Replace it with weed.

Candy helps too.

LOL.

-Osho

12 hours ago, TRUTHWITHCAPITALT said:

@Someone here I was a smoker too once so I do sympathize with your situation. I tried reading about benefit of quitting books, Allen Carrr's book is great. Even though they help they were not still good enough for me to unwind the pattern I created. I tried watching Anti smoking commercials which are horrific to say the least it worked for a while but then I relapsed. I tried smoke free app. It worked for while but then I relapsed. The thing about cigarette is it is a silent killer and the psychological and physiological dependence it puts people under is massive. You deeply want to quit even while you are smoking but the ego falters and then that shatters you will power. This addiction works at psyche level

If I have to mention a single thing that helped me it has to be 5Meo. After my breakthrough experience cigarette became history. I came in contact with my breath and found my center. To my surprise there was no urge and neuroticism to smoke.

You have made the first step which is your desire to quit. Therefore, my friend you have all options you can read books, use apps, watch videos and operate at language & psychological level or use the direct route of obliterating your ego and unwinding the pattern.  Best of lucks!

Thank you. I'm determined and made the decision to quit. 

-Osho

10 hours ago, Elton said:

@Someone here 1. focus on doing the things you want to do, even when you smoke don't guilt yourself as you have done the most important things 

2. Practice kriya yoga/ breathing techniques like deep breathing or slow repetitive breathing as its a vaccine to overcome any addiction.

3. Meditate as it will give you more mindfulness towards your inner dialog imagery and feelings that trick you to smoke.

4. Get a support system like friends or family who will encourage you to stop, ask yourself why do you smoke? Or need to smoke ? It's just inhaling air and exhaling it out .. so why do it ? 

5. Try self hypnosis by Steve g Jones, you will find it in you tube, at least for the initial stages it can help you, once you gain momentum maintain it.

6. Willingness is a state of mind, because you are willing you will succeed be willing, be willing to do whatever it takes to succeed.

7. Each time you control your impulse, you build your willpower up. 

Thanks bro for the tips. Will start working on them. 

-Osho