Rilles

Yoga For Body Awareness?

21 posts in this topic

Im looking to start Yoga, I want to do a meditative/inquiry type Yoga where I can incorporate my body at the same time.

What do you guys recommend? 

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Kundalini or Kriya Yoga. But overall the goal of Yoga is not body awareness but rather raise your conscioussness levels high enough you realize you are not the body. Yoga acts primarily in the 'mind'. But it uses the body in combination with breathing awareness to accomplish this.

2 hours ago, Dutch guy said:

This is meditative, wuji chi kung. Or start your meditation after a few minutes of this.

Cool! So basically Tai Chi? Tried some yesterday, a bit challenging but Im gonna try again. ;) 

1 hour ago, Javfly33 said:

Kundalini or Kriya Yoga. But overall the goal of Yoga is not body awareness but rather raise your conscioussness levels high enough you realize you are not the body. Yoga acts primarily in the 'mind'. But it uses the body in combination with breathing awareness to accomplish this.

Tried some Kundalini! It was great! Im a little bit afraid of getting extreme Kundalini symptoms though, they seem so frightening. 

30 minutes ago, Rilles said:

Tried some Kundalini! It was great! Im a little bit afraid of getting extreme Kundalini symptoms though, they seem so frightening. 

That's a good excuse of the ego ?

I like Yin Yoga, normally you stay at one position for 5 minutes and it allows you to be in a meditative flow.

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”

1 hour ago, Javfly33 said:

That's a good excuse of the ego ?

Or maybe just being careful... Being too intense with spiritual practice can backfire hard... I wouldnt eat 10grams of shrooms before I tried 1gram, ya dig? :P But I will definitely try it out, guess I can stop for a while if something too weird happens. 

1 hour ago, reves said:

I like Yin Yoga, normally you stay at one position for 5 minutes and it allows you to be in a meditative flow.

I like Yin Yoga! Tried it twice now, just need to get more comfortable with the postures, a bit hard to be mindful when youre stumbling over yourself, but I like it. 

I find Yin yoga to be great for meditative body awareness. I’ve enter some deep states. In the beginning, there is learning the postures, surrendering and letting go. . . It can be challenging, yet that is part of the breakthrough. I’ve found online instructors with a good vibe can be a helpful guide to get into the zone. . .

I’ve recently discovered Bohobeautiful yoga. She has that “essence” I resonate with. Mind, body, spirit connection. Yet also connection to earth, wind, water, earth. . . Below is a session I did last night. It is a beginner series that incorporates some easy flow with yin. The postures are only held for 2min. each. For me, her guide helped me let go and release. . .

18 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

I find Yin yoga to be great for meditative body awareness. I’ve enter some deep states. In the beginning, there is learning the postures, surrendering and letting go. . . It can be challenging, yet that is part of the breakthrough. I’ve found online instructors with a good vibe can be a helpful guide to get into the zone. . .

I’ve recently discovered Bohobeautiful yoga. She has that “essence” I resonate with. Mind, body, spirit connection. Yet also connection to earth, wind, water, earth. . . Below is a session I did last night. It is a beginner series that incorporates some easy flow with yin. The postures are only held for 2min. each. For me, her guide helped me let go and release. . .

Thanks! Will watch her the next time I do my session! Seems Kundalini and Yin will take the cake for me, maybe doing a bit of both, who says I cant. ;) 

5 minutes ago, Dutch guy said:

@Rilles Watch out with too much yin yoga, you can stretch too much with this which isn't healthy. If your ready for lost of sorts of energy and body centred to the core(all the bones) try wuji and healing tao.

Too much to choose from?

You mentioned body awareness. . .for me it takes practice of observation. To observe the mind and body. . . This isn’t easy for my mind as it often gets bored, wants to do something else or goes into la-la land. Yet when I can get into the zone, a lot about body awareness is revealed. . . For example, last night I was able to get in the zone and scanned my body of tightness and tensions. I breathed into areas and thought to let go within certain body areas. There was a “release” and the body sank a bit lower - almost like sand. . . I actually experienced “release”. I had thought release was ‘supposed’ to be a different way. Yet there it was releasing. It was amazing.. . . I also got insight into how my body stores negative inputs from my environment. As I observed, it was so clear how different stresses, judgements, criticisms are stored in my body. Some recent inputs and some that happened long ago. This is a different form of release. . . Physical, mental and emotional. . . So beautiful. . . 

7 minutes ago, Dutch guy said:

Watch out with too much yin yoga, you can stretch too much with this which isn't healthy. If your ready for lost of sorts of energy and body centred to the core(all the bones) try wuji and healing tao.

Yes. Thanks for making this point. Yin yoga postures should only be held at about 70% max stretch. Some discomfort is ok and good. Yet it should not be forced or entered into pain zones or hands and feet getting numb and tingly. As well, in the beginning, poses should only be held for 2-3 minutes. Also, don’t force postures. For example, in the quad stretch posture in the above video, my hips were too tight to enter into the full posture, so I had to stay with my upper-body upright and it turned into a hip opener posture rather than a quad posture. It’s important to listen to the body.

Also, when the mind enters into deep meditative states, the relationship with pain can be altered. I’ve entered zones in which I could transform pain into swirling energy of flairs and warm chocolate. Zones in which time stops and I go waaay too deep because I’ve lost sense of “pain” and “time”. A couple times, this led to over-stress which took me days to recover from.

@Dutch guy Thanks for the links on Tai Chi. I’ve been feeling desire for energy flow and motion. I’ve got a bit through vinyasa, yet Tai Chi has been popping up recently. . . . 

39 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

You mentioned body awareness. . .for me it takes practice of observation. To observe the mind and body. . . This isn’t easy for my mind as it often gets bored, wants to do something else or goes into la-la land.

I agree with that, since Im so used to being in my head and so attached to thoughts its hard to branch out and keep my focus on my feet or my legs or belly etc.

Yet when I can get into the zone, a lot about body awareness is revealed. . . For example, last night I was able to get in the zone and scanned my body of tightness and tensions. I breathed into areas and thought to let go within certain body areas. There was a “release” and the body sank a bit lower - almost like sand. . . I actually experienced “release”. I had thought release was ‘supposed’ to be a different way. Yet there it was releasing. It was amazing.. . . I also got insight into how my body stores negative inputs from my environment. As I observed, it was so clear how different stresses, judgements, criticisms are stored in my body. Some recent inputs and some that happened long ago. This is a different form of release. . . Physical, mental and emotional. . . So beautiful. . .

Thats what I want to. I think tensing your body a bit as they do in Yoga makes it easier to focus on it. Just sitting down in regular ol' meditation my body is pretty numb, not very sensitive at all.

@Dutch guy I've been interested in Tai chi / qi gong for awhile, but can't find any good books on it. It's not as accessible as yoga

12 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

I’ve recently discovered Bohobeautiful yoga. She has that “essence” I resonate with.

Been following her videos for the last month as well. About a month into the lockdown Ive started doing yoga and the channel is GREAT. 

I really resonate with her femininity, the beauty of the channel, and her voice.

@Dutch guy how long do you think you need to practice for? I’m looking for something thatb I could do in 5-10 mins before meditate

8 hours ago, Even Hessen said:

As I consider myself to have extreme body awareness and control I would suggest a radically different and perhaps extreme approach. The first one is less of an extreme and for the ones a bit loose, definetly not for the ones being stiff minded. Just put on some fucking groovy, funky or otherwise rhythmic music, suggestions to this are "smooth"-satana, "who are you"-the who, "get up and drive your funky soul"-james brown, "moovin and groovin"-duane eddy, "stayin alive"-bee gees. As this heavenly groovy music plays feel the rhythm in your entire body. Allow the body's own intelligence to take control and just observe the muscles, joints and tendons twistin around baby. Realize you are beyond your body aswell. 

The next approach is radical and extreme, I will admit that. Contact a spirit you have built a beautiful relationship with it and ask it to take control of your body, to possess it and give you greater knowledge and contact with your own body. Remember, you are not your body. Observe what it does to it and just be dude.

yeah... no

@Dutch guy Which video would you recommened for 10minutes? I want to start slow, something to wake me up before i meditate