danilofaria

Mushrooms and body discomfort

12 posts in this topic

I have tripped a few times on mushrooms and I find that for me it creates a lot of body discomfort which makes any consciousness work very difficult to make.

How do I describe this discomfort? First, it feels very cold. Not only cold but there is an overwhelming craving for warmth. Then the body is very restless and it is very hard to stay still in one position. There is this constant feeling of discomfort in the body that is rather unpleasant. At some point in the trip, this starts fading.

Weirdly I don't see that described in many mushrooms trip reports.

So my questions are:

• Is this normal or do most people not feel that on mushrooms at all? 
  • Is there a way to overcome this obstacle?
  • Are mushrooms even a good tool for consciousness work?

For more context, I have had really deep insightful trips on ketamine without any body discomfort at all. On ayahuasca, I also feel a very similar discomfort. I have not had other psychedelics than the 3 mentioned here, but I would appreciate also if someone can tell me which substances generally create body discomfort and which ones don't.

6 minutes ago, danilofaria said:
  • Is this normal or do most people not feel that on mushrooms at all? 
  • Is there a way to overcome this obstacle?
  • Are mushrooms even a good tool for consciousness work?

I did darkness retreat with shrooms for a month. I consumed 2,4, 6gr and lastly 10 gr dried shrooms. Coldness comes before the ego death. You cant force yourself to stay in one position on shrooms. You have to let go your body, and it is supposed to react the way that it is suppose to. Dont consume psychedelics if you are not ready to let go. Or start from minimal dosage. Shrooms shows you everything you can imagine. I did lsd and dmt before with heavy dosage, however shrooms destroyed me. 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

1 hour ago, James123 said:

I did darkness retreat with shrooms for a month. I consumed 2,4, 6gr and lastly 10 gr dried shrooms. Coldness comes before the ego death. You cant force yourself to stay in one position on shrooms. You have to let go your body, and it is supposed to react the way that it is suppose to. Dont consume psychedelics if you are not ready to let go. Or start from minimal dosage. Shrooms shows you everything you can imagine. I did lsd and dmt before with heavy dosage, however shrooms destroyed me. 

thanks for the reply!
In the context of feeling a lot of body discomfort, what exactly does it mean to let go one's body? I don't really feel like I am trying to resist anything, I just feel like I am simply feeling a lot of discomfort. I am confused as to what I can do about that.

Do LSD and DMT have these body discomfort effects too or are they much more mind driven experiences?

1 hour ago, Meta-Man said:

The restlessness might be energetic blockages. The body should become loose and smooth as you surrender deeper into the trip.

Can you elaborate a bit on this? How to make one's body loose and smooth and get rid of energetic blockages?

11 minutes ago, danilofaria said:

thanks for the reply!
In the context of feeling a lot of body discomfort, what exactly does it mean to let go one's body? I don't really feel like I am trying to resist anything, I just feel like I am simply feeling a lot of discomfort. I am confused as to what I can do about that.

Do LSD and DMT have these body discomfort effects too or are they much more mind driven experiences?

I didn’t feel nausea or pain in my body. But I couldn’t handle the experience even in the beginning. I let go, after that my body was turning like snake, i was keep turning over in my bed. Lsd made me laugh a lot and i was just shocked when i used dmt (visuals were crazy). But none of my psychedelic experiences, i never felt something is wrong with body. I was dying thats why I couldn’t even feel my body. It is tricky when you are dying as ego, you cant even think about body. Because you are dying. Lol. Maybe are you confused with ego death, or you had a panic attack? What is dosage shrooms that you consumed?

I have the same problem with mushroom. I feel very very cold and that creates a lot of fear. 

My last 3 trips over the period of one year was nothing close to the level of growing I had from my first trip.

@danilofaria I’ve also found that mushrooms produce discomfort and an incessant need to move the body at the beginning. Feelings I find extremely uncomfortable. However, like others have said it’s important to let yourself settle in naturally. Don’t try to resist the need to move by stationing yourself. Just let go and allow the body to do what it needs to. The body is built up of so much unconscious tensions and suppression’s, it’s only expected it will convulse and move in a cathartic manner.

For me, I had an extremely powerful physiological release from mushrooms. My body began twitching while on the ground releasing emotional baggage. This letting go allowed for the excess agitation and tension to release as it required.

Edited by Jacobsrw

On 5/10/2020 at 4:49 PM, James123 said:

I didn’t feel nausea or pain in my body. But I couldn’t handle the experience even in the beginning. I let go, after that my body was turning like snake, i was keep turning over in my bed. Lsd made me laugh a lot and i was just shocked when i used dmt (visuals were crazy). But none of my psychedelic experiences, i never felt something is wrong with body. I was dying thats why I couldn’t even feel my body. It is tricky when you are dying as ego, you cant even think about body. Because you are dying. Lol. Maybe are you confused with ego death, or you had a panic attack? What is dosage shrooms that you consumed?

I have had mushrooms at various different dosages from very small to quite strong (around 7g) and in most of the trips with mushrooms, I had this quite distracting body discomfort. There were other interesting phenomena happening as well like visuals, mild ego death, personal insights, weird feeling like time is moving slower, etc. But sometimes the body discomfort was so intense that it just swamped all the other phenomena.
I don't have panic attack issues. I do have a recurring theme in my trips of being acutely aware of the mortality of the people I love (especially my father) in an almost unbearable way. This has come up very strongly in recent ayahuasca and ketamine trips, which I have been learning to address.
Maybe this recurring theme has to do with ego death fear, but I am not sure how it relates to the body discomfort that happens on mushrooms (and on ayahuasca).

On 5/10/2020 at 5:22 PM, Meta-Man said:

The fearbound ego keeps the body stiff, inhibited and unnatural. Remove the ego and you can become smooth like a cat.

Remove ego on the ‘feeling’ level. Ego is not just operating on the level of mind. It is a massive virus infection that has overtaken the entire organism.

Most people have never experienced a truly flowing body.

Thank you for the reply, but it is still not very clear to me how to do that. Please let me know if you have specific tips on how to achieve this.

22 hours ago, kadsuy said:

I have the same problem with mushroom. I feel very very cold and that creates a lot of fear. 

My last 3 trips over the period of one year was nothing close to the level of growing I had from my first trip.

Do you feel like you have made any progress in overcoming that discomfort over the course of these trips? Have you experienced a similar discomfort on other substances?

22 hours ago, Jacobsrw said:

@danilofaria I’ve also found that mushrooms produce discomfort and an incessant need to move the body at the beginning. Feelings I find extremely uncomfortable. However, like others have said it’s important to let yourself settle in naturally. Don’t try to resist the need to move by stationing yourself. Just let go and allow the body to do what it needs to. The body is built up of so much unconscious tensions and suppression’s, it’s only expected it will convulse and move in a cathartic manner.

For me, I had an extremely powerful physiological release from mushrooms. My body began twitching while on the ground releasing emotional baggage. This letting go allowed for the excess agitation and tension to release as it required.

So you believe the way to go during the discomfort is to move the body as you feel like you need to in order to feel more comfortable? Will the discomfort start to gradually lower on consecutive trips? Does it help to take a massive dosage and then let a big catharsis happen?

@danilofaria yes essentially. Allow the body to move as it pleases. But reframe the letting as a “natural course” of the body’s movement. Don’t try to get comfortable using the mind to control the body but rather allow the body to settle itself through the instinctual release of tensions and agitations. The catharsis should be a natural arising from the function of freely letting go.  Otherwise, you would be just compounding the already existing tensions with more of them. The power of letting go is that is like a liberating reset.

2 hours ago, danilofaria said:

I have had mushrooms at various different dosages from very small to quite strong (around 7g) and in most of the trips with mushrooms, I had this quite distracting body discomfort. There were other interesting phenomena happening as well like visuals, mild ego death, personal insights, weird feeling like time is moving slower, etc. But sometimes the body discomfort was so intense that it just swamped all the other phenomena.
I don't have panic attack issues. I do have a recurring theme in my trips of being acutely aware of the mortality of the people I love (especially my father) in an almost unbearable way. This has come up very strongly in recent ayahuasca and ketamine trips, which I have been learning to address.
Maybe this recurring theme has to do with ego death fear, but I am not sure how it relates to the body discomfort that happens on mushrooms (and on ayahuasca).

Even when i consume 10 gr, i never had a issue with the body, because nothing is inside of it so. But you told me that after you have a ego death you feel discomfort. So you shouldn’t consume shrooms, try lsd or 5 meo dmt. Because, the discomfort maybe restrict you to discover more. 

@danilofaria @danilofaria I experience the cold shivers and restlessness on psychedelics and also high doses of weed too. I usually get it on LSD, Changa(DMT with MAOI) or mushrooms within the first 30 minutes to an hour then as I relax into it it subsides, but after an experience I had with an extremely high dose of weed in the form of a concentrate dab where I was left basically normal in my mind but my body was uncontrollably shivering for almost 2 hours this led me to a realisation in that moment.. I was unable to let my body go into uncontrollable laughter which was literally dying to come out of me but I just couldn't release it! 

So I went home and done some research and found that being unable to genuinely laugh from the belly is an indication that we have moved into the activation of our sympathetic nervous system more as we've grown older which basically leaves us in survival mode and leaves us unable to concentrate on anything other than well, survival. On the other hand we have our parasympathetic nervous system which allows us to relax and let go including (genuine belly laughter) which we struggle activating.

I still haven't been fully able to 'let go' myself and still get the shivers but one thing I've found that helps me and I can't remember if I heard this from @Leo Gura or elsewhere but it's almost like psychedelics are a female energy and you have to literally open yourself up and let them penetrate your being. One more thing I've noticed is the feeling of purging (being sick) is part of letting the ego go and it's like my body resists that too, i smoked some Changa in a joint last weekend as I couldn't get a pipe and I had the overwhelming urge to be sick but it didn't feel like food but rather negative energy inside of me but my body just fought the urge even though I was willing it, I feel if I'd had a higher dose through a pipe I would have been able to purge too.