DefinitelyNotARobot

How to ACTUALLY watch one of Leo's videos?

7 posts in this topic

I was about to watch Leo's new video when a question arose: How do I PROPERLY consume one of his videos? (This is about anyone's videos really)

Obviously it won't be enough to just sit here and mindlessly stare at the screen for an hour. I think a lot of people fall into the trap of mental masturbation, where they just consume information for the sake of pleasing their minds. But I don't want to please mine. I want to expand it!

I usually make notes when watching one of his videos. But even that seems kind of pointless if I don't do anything with that information. What do you do? Do you just write it down and voilà? Do you sit down and contemplate on it? What should we REALLY do in order to understand what he is talking about?

I want to be more efficient with learning what he teaches. I feel like quiet a bit of what he is saying will get lost regardless of what I do, since there needs to be a certain familiarity with these higher states of consciousness, that both him and some of his viewers have attained. But what do I do to reduce this loss to a bare minimum? Like an engineer trying to reduce the energy lost by an engine to a bare minimum?

I personally think mindfulness is part of the equation. What tips can you give me and everybody else that seeks to learn?

beep boop

Listen to it and continue with your life. You will naturally contemplate the subject and intentionally also. There are so many more important things to do than try to squeeze every last drop out of leos videos. Rather, squeeze every drop out from your OWN practise, research and contemplation. Leos videos were never ment to be the steak and potatoes of your practise, it's more like complimentary. 

After all, the age old question (that leo never gets tired of reminding you) remains: how can you trust anything leo says? Focus your energy into the work that either validates or diqualifies Leos teaching, not the teaching itself. 

I find that stuff sometimes clicks long after the initial watch. It's all about what is relevant to you at any given moment. 

Edited by molosku

29 minutes ago, molosku said:

Listen to it and continue with your life. You will naturally contemplate the subject and intentionally also. There are so many more important things to do than try to squeeze every last drop out of leos videos. Rather, squeeze every drop out from your OWN practise, research and contemplation.

Hmm I think you are right! I should probably not worry about the details too much. Thanks!

beep boop

Listen and think until you decide he is wrong and then go on your own path 

Pre-edit: if you never think he's wrong, you're not thinking

Edited by Telepresent

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

I usually make notes when watching one of his videos. But even that seems kind of pointless if I don't do anything with that information. What do you do? Do you just write it down and voilà? Do you sit down and contemplate on it? What should we REALLY do in order to understand what he is talking about?

CHECK IT

13 minutes ago, Telepresent said:

if you never think he's wrong, you're not thinking

Well I am pretty skeptical with a lot of what he is saying. But the open minded kind of skeptical. There have been many instances in the past, where I used to think that he was wrong, just to realize that he had been right all along! Like the "What Is God?" one. It just popped up in my feed one day, back when I was pretty deep into stage orange, and I, as an atheist, obviously thought that I was going to have a fun time with this "religious nut" (I am glad I am not this negative anymore). I watched it for like 30 minutes and turned it off thinking that he was nuts.

Then came the mushrooms and I was like "Oh. I see." :D

Moral of the story, stay critical, but be open to new ideas!. You never know if somebody who sounds crazy is actually more sane than you!

beep boop