Dwarniel

Handling of corona in different countries

9 posts in this topic

Im really curious as to how your country is handling this crisis...

I live in Norway. We locked down the entire country pretty early. What's interesting is that our neighbouhing country, Sweden, went for the total opposite strategy: They decided to keep everything open as much as possible and aim for herd immunity. What's the wisest decision is yet to be discovered. As far as I understand from what I've read, Sweden is more aligned with scientific research

Regarding my country, we managed to decrease contamination and deaths fairly quickly. We are slowly re-opening the country as we speak... But we are still speculating about this "second wave" and what it's going to mean for us

It's really interesting to watch how the different political parties act during this situation. The parties who's furthest to the left is currently fighting for cuts in politician salaries in solidarity with people who lose their jobs due to the regulations enforced by the state. (Luckily, we have a good security net in place for people who lose their jobs, they get a living wage gifted from the state when unemployed...)

So... What's the strategy/Situation in your country?

What's the different parties in your country fighting for? from left to the right..

And what are your thoughts on what's going on where you live?

Edited by Dwarniel

...But what if the opposite is true?

Hey there @Dwarniel great to here different approaches are being trialed at these times. Interesting to here the differences in Norway too. I imagine there being possible benefits to such approaches too.

As for where my country, Australia, social distancing and travel ban measures have been implemented. The whole motive behind Australian policies was to minimise the social gathering of people and thus, reduce the degree of transmutable opportunities. It has supposedly been doing well. Further, we had large incentives to invest into mental health (therapy, psychiatry etc). as well as employment incentives to keep businesses open and people employed. The curve has been progressively decreasing and measures are now beginning to be loosened.

The effectiveness of this however, does not go without consequences. Such as businesses closing and people becoming more prone to demosteoc violence and obtuse unusual behaviours. Obviously many have not been prepared for the implications of such measures.

I feel these efforts have good intent and largely benefit the entirety of society but real impact for these times will only show in times to come. Nonetheless, feel there will be far more positives than negatives deriving out of this: awareness in business and cooperate strategies, more conscious consumerism, more emphasis on connection, more gratitude for social resources, and hopefully raised collective consciousness from the illumination of social instabilities. 

2 hours ago, Dwarniel said:

Im really curious as to how your country is handling this crisis...

I live in Norway. We locked down the entire country pretty early. What's interesting is that our neighbouhing country, Sweden, went for the total opposite strategy: They decided to keep everything open as much as possible and aim for herd immunity. What's the wisest decision is yet to be discovered. As far as I understand from what I've read, Sweden is more aligned with scientific research

Regarding my country, we managed to decrease contamination and deaths fairly quickly. We are slowly re-opening the country as we speak... But we are still speculating about this "second wave" and what it's going to mean for us

It's really interesting to watch how the different political parties act during this situation. The parties who's furthest to the left is currently fighting for cuts in politician salaries in solidarity with people who lose their jobs due to the regulations enforced by the state. (Luckily, we have a good security net in place for people who lose their jobs, they get a living wage gifted from the state when unemployed...)

So... What's the strategy/Situation in your country?

What's the different parties in your country fighting for? from left to the right..

And what are your thoughts on what's going on where you live?

population density:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden

deaths per million
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Norway, density 13.9/km (persons per kilometre) 
COVID-19 deaths per 1 million = 40

Sweden, density 23/km
COVID-19 deaths per 1 million = 319

Sweden has more population density than Norway but the number of deaths greatly exceeds that great density.
Sweden has 1.65 times more density than Norway but 8 times more deaths per million

(note the 13.9 and 319 above are only coincidentally a the sequence of numbers, that is not a mistake) 

Finland, density 16/km 
COVID-19 deaths = 48

Finland 1.15 times more density than Norway
1.2 times more deaths , that is more similar, the deaths are mainly corresponding the same way to the greater density

Denmark, density 135.73/km
COVID-19 deaths = 48

Denmark 9.76 times greater density than Norway and same number of deaths as Finland 1.2 times Norway 
Thus they are doing the best of these countries as per death rate.

Edited by Nak Khid

Finland

Social gatherings up to 10 people from 15 May to 15. June

50 people 15.6-31.7. Summer concerts and likewise are cancelled in June/July.

Every festival or public gatherings are canceled from end of April until the end of July.

Schools reopen 15.5 as primary educational schools will have classes, most secondary schools choose distance classes until the summer semester as the government has recommended.

Restaurants and pubs are closed since April but will reopen gradually after 31.5. These businesses mostly survived on the take-away food system and government support.

The border will reopen in 15.5. Ferries and Airplanes will start to travel. However this caused some fuss. As every citizen is by law allowed to enter and leave the country as wished. The government did not state this clearly and it was thought as the country was in some sort of lock down. We believed that only citizens who need to meet relatives and have a job related travel will be allowed leave.

A question for you. Is Norway allowing travelers to enter or is there any restrictions in the beginning of June?

Edited by Zanoni

“ In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few. ”
― Shunryu Suzuki

8 hours ago, Nak Khid said:

Sweden has more population density than Norway but the number of deaths greatly exceeds that great density.
Sweden has 1.65 times more density than Norway but 8 times more deaths per million

Yes, but I read something about Sweden reporting deaths differently... 

In Norway we only report a death as a "corona death" if the patient died FROM corona.. If someone who's corona positive dies from.. Say a heart attack, we don't report that as a corona death.. Sweden however, report every death as a corona death, if the patient is positive, no matter what the patient actually dies from. 

This affect the statistics for sure. I have no idea why we report it differently

1 hour ago, Zanoni said:

Question for you. Is Norway allowing travelers to enter or is there any restrictions in the beginning of June?

People without residence permit are not allowed in norway as per now. I havent heard anything about the government loosening up on this restriction.. We are allowed to travel, but have to do 2 weeks of self isolation/quarantine when we get back.. 

8 minutes ago, Dwarniel said:

People without residence permit are not allowed in norway as per now. I havent heard anything about the government loosening up on this restriction.. We are allowed to travel, but have to do 2 weeks of self isolation/quarantine when we get back.. 

Guess i have to research about the regulations as i have plane tickets to Norway on 5th June. Had to change the date because of the Coronavirus outbreak in April. SAS sells tickets to Norway but Finnair canceled all flights until the end of June.

“ In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few. ”
― Shunryu Suzuki

3 hours ago, Zanoni said:

Guess i have to research about the regulations as i have plane tickets to Norway on 5th June. Had to change the date because of the Coronavirus outbreak in April. SAS sells tickets to Norway but Finnair canceled all flights until the end of June.

Yeah, research that. Please don't take my word for it, i might not be up to date about all regulations ?

Here in the USA they are paying hospitals to put someone on Ventilators and to contribute a death with Covid. Obviously a very bold statement, but my source comes from a family Nurse working in the Hospital. 

Is all that we see or seem

But a dream within a dream?

- Edgar Allen Poe