korbes

Extrinsic motivated to do personal development

3 posts in this topic

I have always been different, my entire life.

I've been called weird a few times, but mostly, I just try to go under the radar, so I can fit in and be "normal" and accepted.

As I was contemplating today, I found out, that my entire identity and ego is revolving around being better than others. And I figured out that I wanted to be better than all my friends, old friends, and all the people from my elementary school class incl. their parents. I want so bad to be better than them, in terms of personal development, to be more evolved than them, so that I can "prove them wrong" in a way, and show them, that there was never anything wrong with my "weirdness", I've just been a creative and clever kid.

I believe I am doing a lot of personal development (mostly just buying books, reading them and posting them on Goodreads, but also meditating a little etc.) just for the sake of proving people wrong, so I can become better than them, and they can look up to me and envy me and all the work I've done. That's my egos fantasy.

Now, luckily I know that this is a dangerous path to go on, and I have never ever in the last couple of months, felt so sad, so hopeless and lost, probably because I am not living for me, I am living to get acceptance from others, so they can see how good I am.

The problem is, I am also intrinsically motivated to do personal development, but not enough, I really want to live a better life, be a lot more conscious, have much more self-acceptance, self-love etc. But I don't know how to flip this current extrinsic motivation to something intrinsically, so it comes from a deep desire within, instead of a desire to be better than others. Do you guys have any idea, on how to reframe my ego/identity so it's not about becoming better than others, and also, to reframe my motivation, so it's coming from the inside, rather than outside?

Have you read this thread? It may be useful.

Since awareness alone is curative (check out Leo's video about it if you haven't already), I think you're halfway there.

Build a strong and consistent meditation habit and maybe start journaling. You may be need to contemplate this issue a few times, but if you give it enough time, hopefully this whole thing will turn around and your motivations will also change.