roopepa

TikTok is surreal

44 posts in this topic

@Jacobsrw The mental health enterprise will always find a way to conceptualize dysfunctional behaviours, but remember that it's all on a continuum. To indulge in something that is associated with dysfunctional behaviour doesn't necessarily mean you're being dysfunctional. That's how it is with everything: drugs, diets, ideology etc. 

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

On 5/7/2020 at 0:37 PM, Zanoni said:

It is simple, we are all enlightened and just don't know it yet B|

So simple and obvious I like it. 

5 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

@Jacobsrw The mental health enterprise will always find a way to conceptualize dysfunctional behaviours, but remember that it's all on a continuum. To indulge in something that is associated with dysfunctional behaviour doesn't necessarily mean you're being dysfunctional. That's how it is with everything: drugs, diets, ideology etc. 

Completely agree. In fact, I don’t even really condone diagnosis. I also resent pharmaceutical companies additionally. I was simply using it as an example of severity. If the DSM-5 is willing to provide a spectrum for it, there must be some consideration for its concern. 

Irrespective of that. It’s clear what unhealthy behaviour it creates. Just observe our youth. Highly stimulus dependent, short attentive spans, neurotic mood swings, emotional deregulation, addictive impulses and so on. This did not exist before the capitalisation of media. 

Edited by Jacobsrw

Some valid points on this thread e.g. Tiktok promoting toxic habits and stage orange valued.

However, people can gain large followings in relatively short periods of time on this platform, and there is a prevalent and popular self-help niche on Tiktok. 

-

If someone wants to escape wage slavery, I think utilising this platform would be an awesome way to attract eyeballs  and market yourself in the world, even know the video format of Tiktok doesn't really allow for content that has impact (due to the maximum of one minute long maximum videos).

The most inspiring stuff I have seen on the platform are the nature clips that people share, and the acoustic music. Some of this stuff is really gorgeous.