Pilgrimage of Self

Should I learn a high income skill (copywriting) or start a beginner business?

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Im 27, living with my parents and have no previous job experience. Am an attorney at law in my country (Turkey) but have no practical legal skills, haven't worked yet as a lawyer. Im currently looking for employment as a lawyer but cant really see myself as an attorney all my life.. just need to start making some money finally.

Researched around a bit and im currently exploring the ideas of either learning a high income skill (copywriting) or starting a simple business that requires minimal capital to start, which would be ebay dropshipping.

I mean learning how to sell on ebay is a skill in itself but its not like copywriting in a sense that it will help me in other parts of my life and definitely in a business I could establish in the future.

My goal is to make a living by earning dollars. In this day and age and global world and my fluency in English, it just seems foolish not to do this.

Even 1.000 USD per month would be amazing for me. Once I know how to do that, I can keep scaling and scaling.

What are your views on this? What would you suggest? I know that starting something is JUST the first step and im just tired with wasting time but choosing the right thing and committing to something is very important as well since it will take a lot of time, energy and other resources to get results with either route.

Thanks

Edited by Pilgrimage of Self

I really doubt that eBay drop shipping is going to instead be your idea of a passionate lifestyle. Do you really like the copy writing? 

With the amount of time and energy you have invest into a lawyer, you might as well be one until you are able to do what you want to passionately. That other stuff is going to require a lot of work and effort to even get close to the wages you would earn as a lawyer. You probably work for a year and it would take several for those other avenues to even make that much.

With that said don't lock yourself down into some crap that makes you stuck there. But if you continued your living situation and lived cheap, saved, and invest that into your new projects as you go. Not to mention if you have any debts from schooling that lawyer job is your best bet of scaling that back before the interest compounds too much. 

I'd also like to mention that you can be a lawyer more consciously. There are plenty of people desperate for those types of services that are in a lot of distressful situations. You really can help and make a difference in the world in the mean time. 

As I have been self exploring more and more it makes me sad with some of the stuff I sell to people on eBay. Now I realize that the person is very happy to get their items and that is great. But it is not providing them anything that is really good to improve their life that much aside from a few things. I sell a bit of everything though. Now I can make sure they have a great experience and make my work that touches people improve their life in some way. I like tossing in a free DVD with DVD orders because it costs me about nothing and I am sure the person appreciate it. Stuff like that, but I am sure if you invested a lot of time into drop shipping you might come to this conclusion as you expand and grow. 

Been watching too much my dan lok my friend. Not saying there's not valuable bits of information, but his motives are more towards swaying you to buy his extremely overpriced class with little return, it's more of a pyramid scheme.

find something that calls to you, something that you could spend hours a day doing with little hassle, and then find a way to convert and translate that into a small revenue, you're best off trying to set a goal of $50 a month first, then scaling that. $1000 is a fantasy that will make reality hit you hard because this path isn't an easy one.

if you need $1k a month, most intro jobs will give you that, at least in US. I can't speak for turkey. Find a minimum wage job and start making money first, save a decent portion of your money and direct it towards something that you want to start scaling.

28 minutes ago, Omni said:

Been watching too much my dan lok my friend. Not saying there's not valuable bits of information, but his motives are more towards swaying you to buy his extremely overpriced class with little return, it's more of a pyramid scheme.

find something that calls to you, something that you could spend hours a day doing with little hassle, and then find a way to convert and translate that into a small revenue, you're best off trying to set a goal of $50 a month first, then scaling that. $1000 is a fantasy that will make reality hit you hard because this path isn't an easy one.

if you need $1k a month, most intro jobs will give you that, at least in US. I can't speak for turkey. Find a minimum wage job and start making money first, save a decent portion of your money and direct it towards something that you want to start scaling.

I admit im a fan of Dan Lok but heard from multiple multiple entrepreneurs/successful people that copywriting is a really valuable skill so "high income skill" isnt exactly in dans monopoly lol.

I see what you mean...you are right it will definitely not be an easy road. Have no delusions about that. Between the two im leaning more towards copywriting based on "what I enjoy more" since im definitely not gonna do dropshipping out of passion lol. On the other side I have always been fascinated about marketing and human psychology.

OMG you are already a friggen lawyer!!!!!?  Absolutely do anything to capitalize on that energy and ride it.  Once you start practicing, you will get energy back from all that time you invested!  Do ANYTHING to show that you are ready and willing to receive those practical skills.

I have an unused engineering degree and it is a huge thorn in my side of unfulfilled pote tials.  I am volunteering to build community housing to fill in some of the gaps in my practical knowledge.

I also have a massage therapy business, and while there is no lack whatsoever of achey backs, there are many many drawbacks to this kind of work.  Business will always be there at the end of the day, so there is no need to be attached to it.

Developing legal skills, however is massive and requires massive effort.  Please continue your journey and take breaks when appropriate.

Edited by h inandout

@Average Investor I think the solution here is to focus on selling things that does improve people’s lives, in one way or way another. ThT can also be entertainment. 

@Pilgrimage of Self  Yeah, I agree if you have these lawyer skills, what is so bad about utilising them and using that cash flow to start a business, any business will involve cash flow, and if you want to scale you won’t be able to pay yourself as much as you will want to from the get go. 

Learning copywriting is a great idea, but it’ll be based on freelance gigs, or you can use it on your own Profucts eventually.

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi