Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rasheed

Are chewing gums legit?

10 posts in this topic

Do sugar free gums actually protect teeth? Or it is a lie, just to sell the product?

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

@Rasheed I saw at a medical college this poster brush your teeth twice a day, use mouth wash twice a day, and floss them maybe once a day when you think you need to. 

One dentist suggested me to rinse my mouth after having sugary things or food. However now a day I don't have anything sugary. And to use brushes with soft bristles. 

So ya these were some good tips I feel so shared them with you.

4 hours ago, Elton said:

@Rasheed I saw at a medical college this poster brush your teeth twice a day, use mouth wash twice a day, and floss them maybe once a day when you think you need to. 

One dentist suggested me to rinse my mouth after having sugary things or food. However now a day I don't have anything sugary. And to use brushes with soft bristles. 

So ya these were some good tips I feel so shared them with you.

Thanks. But what about chewing gums?

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

@Rasheed I personally would not consume a lot of them or neither recommended them as I haven't done research on these, but would prefer the methods I mentioned earlier to protect your teeth rather than chewing gum.

Chewing gums seems to have a somewhat stimulating effect on digestion which can be good or bad depending on the perspective. For  conserving energy and longevity, you want as little insulin spikes throughout your day as possible. For people who have poor digestion, chewing 15 mins before food can help start their digestive juices flowing. Chewing on parsley od dandelion leaf can do that as well. 

Regarding teeth, cleansing,  it could work by mechanically picking bits of food from areas between your teeth and maybe cleanse the roots of your teeth from plaque deposition. But not sure. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

The most important thing about chewing gum is to dispose of it considerately. I hate stepping into or even touching gum under chairs or wherever people put it. Yuck! :S

Chewing in general is believed to make your teeth stronger but aspartame or other artificial seweeteners are suboptimal. I'd say xylitol or stevia gums are much safer than regular ones.

I shoot vids about health (https://bit.ly/395NEhj)

when in doubt throw it out

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Chewing gum exhausts your salivary glands and tricks the brain into thinking you are ingesting food so digestion is on run and enzymes kick in making your body use up energy and reserves when no food is being consumed. Pointless behaviour and not needed.

In school we were taught that xylitol (A form of sugar) feeds good bacteria in your mouth while the karies bacteria (teeth consuming bacteria) cannot ingest it. So supposedly xylitol works by increasing the amount of good bacteria in your mouth relative to the bad karies bacteria, so the karies bacteria has harder time fighting for resources and spots to live and multiply when you eat food. You are supposed to chew xylitol chewing gum after every meal.

Then again, this could have been just some lobbyist bullshit to push their product on every schoolchild in Finland.