Jacobsrw

I Posit a Theory - ‘Perceptual Purity’

25 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, The observer said:

Good post, man. Thanks for sharing.

Conclusion: Children are stupid. Adults are stupider.

Pleasure :)

haha precisely ?

A child is an almost completely unburdened creature. This is how they can live in the present almost always. Contrasting this, an adult realises that to survive as a responsible person, they must sacrifice their pleasure in the present, or at minimum dedicate a good part of their day to tasks related to survival and resource procurement, which means getting lost in the typical drudgery of a job.

Imagine if an adult had no responsibilities, for example if there were some utopian society which supported and cared for people due to an abundance of resources and wealth. What would an adult do with all that time? Sure, some would waste it, and probably become lost and lacking in motivation, but that is already the case. Others would most likely pursue their dreams, and with the time they had free, maybe live in the moment like children can and do.

My point is, being an adult means taking on responsibility. We didn’t choose this as our lives, but when a person is born into a western society, they implicitly sign a contract, which essentially is them selling their soul. It’s very hard to live this life without any burden. Thankfully there are ways to not be burdened too much, which is what we here are all trying to move towards and share with others. Sharing ways of living and being which can help in this crazy world.

i agree with you, that getting back in touch with your inner child is a healthy and good thing to try to do, but balance is important, too large a change in a person’s life can swing the pendulum back the other way in the opposite direction. Good to find a balance and exercise moderation where necessary. 

1 hour ago, Spaceofawareness said:

A child is an almost completely unburdened creature. This is how they can live in the present almost always. Contrasting this, an adult realises that to survive as a responsible person, they must sacrifice their pleasure in the present, or at minimum dedicate a good part of their day to tasks related to survival and resource procurement, which means getting lost in the typical drudgery of a job.

Imagine if an adult had no responsibilities, for example if there were some utopian society which supported and cared for people due to an abundance of resources and wealth. What would an adult do with all that time? Sure, some would waste it, and probably become lost and lacking in motivation, but that is already the case. Others would most likely pursue their dreams, and with the time they had free, maybe live in the moment like children can and do.

My point is, being an adult means taking on responsibility. We didn’t choose this as our lives, but when a person is born into a western society, they implicitly sign a contract, which essentially is them selling their soul. It’s very hard to live this life without any burden. Thankfully there are ways to not be burdened too much, which is what we here are all trying to move towards and share with others. Sharing ways of living and being which can help in this crazy world.

i agree with you, that getting back in touch with your inner child is a healthy and good thing to try to do, but balance is important, too large a change in a person’s life can swing the pendulum back the other way in the opposite direction. Good to find a balance and exercise moderation where necessary. 

Good read. That’s very true, children are unburdened in a sense. But I would say that so too is the adult.

An adult thinks they are burdened because they have a dichotomous high ideal in “freedom”. That is, to be unburdened “I must be able to do as I please”. But really that’s just the ego speaking. 

The adult’s most dominating problem is that they always wish to be wherever they are not. Which inevitably leaves them suffering wherever they already are. They can never be content because the ego from which they operate can never be satisfied. There’s always a “better” situation it imagines.

Adult responsibility must be acknowledged. But we must also acknowledge freedom is not the mere manipulation of our experience, but the surrender to what IS, without being effected by whatever is experienced. To sink into the impenetrable, imperturbable and unharmable source of our existence where freedom is always inherent.

Ultimately responsibility is at our disposable. However, we can choose how we wish to wield it. Whether to wield it with honour, enacting it with play and joy like the child. Or to feel diminished and enslaved by it like the adult. It’s our choice. Responsibility would be much better suited if seen through the creative playful lens of a child.

Burden can be only experienced from the perspective of the ego self. It cannot be experienced from pure being, which the child state appears to more organically and authentically intuit.

Edited by Jacobsrw

@Jacobsrw Well said, I agree, that is the goal, to live doing what must be done with zero or at least minimal struggle against what is. 

5 minutes ago, Spaceofawareness said:

@Jacobsrw Well said, I agree, that is the goal, to live doing what must be done with zero or at least minimal struggle against what is. 

Very true my friend :)