Jj13

Start Using DuckDuckGo

23 posts in this topic

Google is too personalized. It gives you results based on where you live, what you searched for before, and other data about you they track through Google Analytics. Also there is censorship going on there.

DuckDuckGo is not skewing results based on data about you, but justly presenting them based on popularity and their own algorithms.

So if you are learning about anything, using DuckDuckGo will help you get unbiased results.

And that is not even getting into the privacy concerns about Google. Im just talking about search engine objectivity here.

1 hour ago, Jj13 said:

DuckDuckGo is not skewing results based on data about you, but justly presenting them based on popularity and their own algorithms.

what do you think of their results on research compared to google? Do you think DuckDuckgo is as "smart" ?

Thanks I'll try. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Been using it for a couple years and it is nice. I like some of the suggestions on google like when Iook up a stock. I use it combined with brave browser and it is pretty nice overall. Brave has some stuff with too many shields up that cause and issue every now and then. But it has tor built in, which is pretty convenient. 

12 hours ago, Nak Khid said:

what do you think of their results on research compared to google? Do you think DuckDuckgo is as "smart" ?

@Nak Khid Exactly the opposite. DuckDuckGo doesn't cater to your needs, it is not nearly smart as Google in that regard. But that is exactly the reason to use DuckDuckGo. Google feeds you maximally personalized information and so you are in a bubble of information they want you to see. For me, that is a negative.

Privacy wise, Google stores pretty much all your data (that's how they can personalize the search results). DuckDuckGo stores none of your data.

@Nak Khid Having used duckduckgo for a few years I think it is nice to have a bit of both. You would be surprised the difference in results. Now  if you want a big box to show up that is more interactive with results google is better. But a lot of stuff that would have normally got pushed to the bottom comes up in duckduckgo. I seldom feel the need to go back to using google for any reason really. Like I mentioned above I liked how stocks looked, but using duckduckgo lead me to nasdaq site instead where google never suggested that and I much prefer the experience while researching a company. Just depends what you want and if you know what you are looking for I suppose. 

Edited by Average Investor

On 4/28/2020 at 4:44 AM, Jj13 said:

@Nak Khid Exactly the opposite. DuckDuckGo doesn't cater to your needs, it is not nearly smart as Google in that regard. But that is exactly the reason to use DuckDuckGo. Google feeds you maximally personalized information and so you are in a bubble of information they want you to see. For me, that is a negative.

Privacy wise, Google stores pretty much all your data (that's how they can personalize the search results). DuckDuckGo stores none of your data.

I use both Duck Duck Go and google but what I meant be "smart" if you are doing some detailed research and if you put some search terms in to each of these engines and hypothetically we are disregarding their data collecting,  you are at the library say, which one do you think is finding the better matches and results and which one is understanding best some phrase you might use or the implications for your search terms? 

I used it in the past, but I recently switch to Ecosia because they plant all trees all around the world with their revenues.

On 4/29/2020 at 11:20 PM, Nak Khid said:

I use both Duck Duck Go and google but what I meant be "smart" if you are doing some detailed research and if you put some search terms in to each of these engines and hypothetically we are disregarding their data collecting,  you are at the library say, which one do you think is finding the better matches and results and which one is understanding best some phrase you might use or the implications for your search terms? 

I don't know

On 4/30/2020 at 2:36 AM, electroBeam said:

just go the whole way and use tails ;)

Isn't Tails an OS?

On 4/30/2020 at 6:46 AM, Raphael said:

I used it in the past, but I recently switch to Ecosia because they plant all trees all around the world with their revenues.

Cool stuff

Google isn't evil. Though the bubbling side effect of their algorithm is definitely impractical when one is willing to explore new content, especially on YouTube.

On 27.4.2020 at 8:45 PM, Jj13 said:

Google is too personalized. It gives you results based on where you live, what you searched for before, and other data about you they track through Google Analytics. Also there is censorship going on there.

So if you are learning about anything, using DuckDuckGo will help you get unbiased results.

And that is not even getting into the privacy concerns about Google. Im just talking about search engine objectivity here.

Yes, that's a very good advice. I nearly do it all the time when I research about some controversial topics. If you compare the results with Google, it gets very clear that Google first shows you what they want you to see or even hide relevant search results. 

Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.

On 4/30/2020 at 6:06 AM, electroBeam said:

just go the whole way and use tails ;)

Is that an idiom or you made it up?.

On 4/28/2020 at 2:08 AM, Average Investor said:

Been using it for a couple years and it is nice. I like some of the suggestions on google like when Iook up a stock. I use it combined with brave browser and it is pretty nice overall. Brave has some stuff with too many shields up that cause and issue every now and then. But it has tor built in, which is pretty convenient. 

Okay, how about response and intuitiveness of that app (Brave)?. For me it totally sucks, most of the plugins that could be worked are throwing glitches in Brave..

On 4/28/2020 at 0:15 AM, Jj13 said:

What you think of distractive ads and suggestions across Youtube and other similar products of Google?. Do you use adblock or you can easily ignore them af?

On 5/2/2020 at 4:31 AM, gswva said:

Google isn't evil. Though the bubbling side effect of their algorithm is definitely impractical when one is willing to explore new content, especially on YouTube.

tbh honest with you, every business models have to get involved with some kind of trickery to hit more profit. Why it isn't a devil?.. Did you know Google has all the right to invade into your emails, google drive and sell all the data to third-party alliances.

Not just for personalized ads, even individual at Google has all rights to invade and check out someone else's content on Google!.. Don't you consider it as immoral?

30 minutes ago, innerchild said:

What you think of distractive ads and suggestions across Youtube and other similar products of Google?. Do you use adblock or you can easily ignore them af?

Yeah, I use adblock.

On 4/27/2020 at 7:45 PM, andyjohnsonman said:

nice i added the chrome extension

Nice -- you added it, but keep using Chrome which made by Google.

Then simply remove cookies or use incognito mode. And adblock. A half of the problem solved.

Edited by rnd

It still skews results as far as I know.