Red-White-Light

Education and Learning

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I am interested in engaging in more self-learning and education. I want to become more intelligent. 

Does anyone have any advice? 

Here's my opinion:

Habits habits habits. Someone doesn't build a skill overnight. Small decisions of your past add up to who you are today. Start with micro habits and build them up slowly. Life seems to be a weird cumulative momentum of good vs bad habits.  Build awareness of your current habits. 

Meta-cognition.. How does memory and learning even work? How does the brain operate? 

Attention and intention.. The better attention you have then the better you can focus to build habits. The more awareness you have of where your attention is the better you can focus intention. 

Energy.. Understand how much energy you have. If you're always tired then it's hard to even get focused or even think clearly. Food/water, exercise/stretch, and sleep.

If you have certain sleeping habits then that's one problem. If you have certain eatting habits then that can be a problem. If you have certain habits of not exercising then it only gets worse. 

What about addictions vs habits? 

What addictions do you have for coping with life? 

I've heard beeminder is a good way to help with building habits. Just start slow. 

Even with typing it takes steps to get fast. Getting in a state flow with the process. Focusing not too much on the outcome but more focus on the process. 

In the military they start off with a few small habits. Doing push-ups then raise the temperature. Basically "boot camp" is "habit camp". Small habits. Making your bed in the morning. Folding clothes. Standing up tall. Then slowly cleaning the whole room. Becoming more and more organized. Seeing your life as systems. 

Life systems of thinking. Giving all the items in your life a purpose to become more efficient with where you allocate your energy. The more you own it becomes more bogging on the working memory of the mind. 

In chess it's about being flexable with your memory. Being able to be a strategic thinker. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Moving slow builds a momentum. Playing hundreds of games you build speed. Playing too fast will cause mistakes. Play at a comfortable speed. 

Hope this helps bro. 

On 25/04/2020 at 7:41 PM, Red-White-Light said:

Does anyone have any advice?

Read A LOT. Bad books and good books. Take notes and persevere to put everything you find valuable in practice.

And most importantly: embrace failure.

unborn Truth

It is great that you have such a desire. Mose people have become lazy due to the lockdown. I recommend you stay motivated! I don't know what to recommend to you. But I started to pass English classes online and make my kids do the same. You can go here and read an article on this topic.

From where can I take your desire? I feel so unmotivated these days, however, back to the topic, as it was mentioned you need to focus more on yourself and read a lot, every millionaire recommends reading especially self-development books. I made reading a habit in high school, and that changed my life radically. I became more self-disciplined, started to look after myself, and find the things I like to do. And I got to the point when I was writing my computer science personal statement, of course, helped by an editing service, as I always have been bad at writing, but this never stopped me to do what I like.

Edited by Haruntome

somehow consciousness (self awareness),as opposed to knowledge, brings about a sense of...knowledge of knowledge. or the experiencing of how knowledge is had in the direct experience. its a bit hard to explain but i was thinking about this recently...consciousness will lead to the understanding of how knowledge operates...for example, consciousness regarding knowledge might clarify for you;

- how you most effectively receive knowledge (theoretically or practically)

- what knowledge you need and why.

- what knowledge itself is, and how to focus on it.

- different ways of storing knowledge (treating the memory as a sub-conscious chest of drawers that you can put things in, leave and come back to later on).

- understanding how to correctly verify your knowledge (especially when tackling philosophical ideas that arent very mainstream).

- the limitations of knowledge (even in simple terms like dating, if your talking like a robot about astrophysics to a girl and simply inserting knowledge into your mind about the girl will be relying on theoretical knowledge too much and you wont establish an emotional connection with the girl).

consciousness (self awareness) acts nearly as a direct revelation of how it is that knowledge enters, exists and works inside your mind...and in this regard, consciousness is [imo] one of the best ways to increase intelligence (since intelligence is simply the measurement of knowledge). 

This is of course assuming your reading books and shit or just listening to leo and taking notes...since leo seems to be a walking encyclopedia of the most pure, refined, compilation of the best books lol. 

Edited by Aaron p

@Red-White-Light Is it about becoming more intelligent, as measured by the SAT? Or is it about Self-realizing absolute intelligence and creativity? Which would you choose? There is a tiny intelligence, which humans vaunt as an achievement, and there is infinite intelligence, which Consciousness channels through the transparent you. Would you rather be a candle, or a magnifying glass for the sun?

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

The Book 

"The Science of self- learning" by Peter Hollins is a good start ,make sure to apply the strategies

Leo's Meta-learning videos might also help

1.Learning = behaviour change

2. Learning = observation

3. Learning = making distinctions

4. Expose yourself to experience episode

Edited by flyingguitarist