Dragos

Is alcohol really a bad thing?

50 posts in this topic

@Dragos  haha, a lot has changed. 

I wouldn't say music is a bad habit, music is beautiful. Of course if you're addicted to it and listening 24/7, but I wouldn't feel guilty for enjoying music man. 

Junk Food on the other hand, yeah, there's not much to defend there for eating it regularly. 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

On 4/25/2020 at 5:18 AM, Serotoninluv said:

My drinking interfered in my life when I was younger. My last drink was in 1992 and I never missed it. There is so much more in life to do. Plus, alcohol reduces consciousness. If I’m at an event, like a concert, with people drinking and feeling loose, I may take a low dose psychedelic or edible cannabis to spice things up. Alcohol doesn’t resonate with me anymore. 

Wow! And you we're never tempted to drink at any event in any circumstance? For me the thing that bothers my mind is that i'll find a person or a group of people  or a party in my life that have a certain vibe about them and make me think ,why bother with not drinking, so silly, like they having fun they're good right, why not start now?'

On 4/25/2020 at 5:24 PM, Saupahar said:

It is said that drinking alcohol takes you into the state of lower consciousness than you normally are. So i am worried that even if i drink occasionally it might take me to the lower states of consciousness. I am really focused on my self development. In the past i have drank a lot and have really bad experiences and good ones too at that moment. And now i have sometimes have to face peer pressure and also want to drink socially but i am afraid  that it will be bad for me. I don't  know if i will drink next time or not and, if i drink,i wonder if it hampers my personal growth,and all the work i am doing for it will go into vain-not completely but may be negate some of the progress i have had till now.

This is basically what I think too. I don't think it will affect your growth if you drink here and there, but I just don't want to identify with that, and also my body doesn't tolerate it much, I don't think is made for it. I'll probably have to drink for a long period of time to build up some tolerance and that i will not do.

On 4/27/2020 at 0:49 PM, Michael569 said:

There is absolutely no benefit to drinking alcohol whatsoever. A lot of people still believe that red wine is somehow healthy. This is tragic marketing implantation in the minds of the young who are trying to excuse their functional alcoholism. Alcohol is a neurotoxin and a carcinogen. It pulls nutrients from your body, it depletes glutathione and other antioxidants, it messes up with blood sugar balance, damages your arteries and hormonal balance. 

Whatever problem anyone has they claim alcohol helps to "solve" they are deluding themselves and this will bite them in the ass one day. 

Exactly, I remember 5 years there was a study that was presented on tv where they said that res wine is in fact beneficail at least a glass a day. And even at that time  I was thinking it is nuts that they actually put this in the news like they revealed that wine is actually a potion that helps us, lol.

On 2020-04-27 at 0:49 PM, Michael569 said:

Whatever problem anyone has they claim alcohol helps to "solve" they are deluding themselves and this will bite them in the ass one day. 

Sadly that i did not hear this a few years ago. 

“ In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few. ”
― Shunryu Suzuki

Lol, ironically--one time I had a partial awakening on alcohol.  One time I got so drunk at a club with my friends once, I was watching one of my acquaintances vomit in the club's toilet.

I knew I was very drunk too as I watched this person throw up, but I then realized that there was still this "something" still there watching me be drunk as hell.  I clearly saw the distinction between drunk as hell me and the thing present there watching drunk as hell me--like a witness.  It was super trippy and I'll never forget it.

Even though drug addiction is treatable, because it’s also a chronic disease, it demands some radical, permanent, and serious changes. Although progress has been made in behavioral and pharmacological treatments, with every new development, the therapies have to evolve and move forward, toward novel ways of approach to addiction.

For some people, relapse after the attempt to stop using drugs is a part of the process, so specially tailored prevention methods for relapse are included in the newest treatments.

Recovery treatment should be composed to serve the need of the particular case. Some studies showed that for opioids and alcohol addiction treatments, medications should be the first and basic treatment method. Behavioral therapy should also be included but as a form of support.

Alcohol is definitely bad for your health. But so are: breathing in polluted air and being exposed to background radiation.

You have to see if the benefits outweight the negatives for yourself.

Alcohol addiction hasn't been a problem for me unlike other things, because it's very obvious how shitty I feel when I drink too much, or two often. I choose to avoid hard liquor, except for the occasional mini added to another drink, but am fine with having 2-4 beers or white claws one or 2 days a week. Or none at all for a few months at a time.

This spring I thought I would not drink because it's just not necessary I don't need it, but a few times when I ordered kombucha from Amazon, they sent an alcoholic variety as an automatic substitute for something out of stock, and wasn't going to waste it.  Then realized how ridiculous it is being straight edge, makes as little sense to me as drinking daily.

Also fuck everyone who shames people for drinking or says it's un-spiritual. Alcoholic beverages are the most accessible, and for many of us the only readily available tool to temporarily alter our state of consciousness instantly, real benefits to being more open minded and creative. To use it wisely is to let go of self counsciousness, break old routines that don't serve us, develop new habits that we stick with even in a sober state. To use it unwisely would be to use alcohol as a crutch you depend on rather than something you do for fun occasionally.

I drink regularly and i don't consider it a bad thing. It can certainly be justified on a spiritual level so long as you exercise self control.