Lorcan

Running.

18 posts in this topic

How much running is enough to maintain good heart health etc.

I currently do 15 minutes of hard running (Daily) , I am slowly building up to 30 minutes.

That depends on your age, health condition and fitness.

Also, training more won't necessarily guarantee health. A lot of professional athletes are diabetic and suffer from adrenal fatigue.
More importantly, you can't outexercise a bad diet. 
A solid whole foods nutritional plan is a lot more important and sustainable.

When it comes to exercise, then doing too much cardio isn't good for you. There is this dangerous "black hole" - not aerobic but not over 80% intensity either. I would imagine that's where you're being in for the most time. You're getting tired but aren't pushing yourself completely to the end. This is not a good place to be in.

I would structure a cardiovascular fitness running as such: 

• 80% of your training should be aerobic and at quite low intensity. A good rule of thumb is to look at your breathing. If you can breathe through your nose, then it's just enough
  • 20% should be anaerobic, like high intensity interval training. Either 5-10 minutes of Tabata intervals with 30 seconds of sprinting and 30 seconds walking or jogging. HIIT training shouldn't exceed 20-30 minutes. It's a lot more time-efficient way of burning fat and also yields more benefit than black hole running. However, because of the intensity, you should do HIIT only 2-3 times a week. But when you do, max out completely. At other times focus on building up your aerobic base.

Hopefully, it helps. You can Google some HIIT training examples and look more into Mark Sisson's Primal Endurance.

Body Mind Empowerment 
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAohrrjG-3gEp5QF1WlM9_w

I'm 14, I'm skinny I weigh 7 stone. I am doing laps around my house for 15 minutes, breathing was a problem when I first started running exercise as I had'nt exercised at all before Is started doing 5 minutes running sessions to build my lungs up then went onto doing 10 minute sessions, when my lungs started becoming a non-issue I amped to 15 minutes. My main enemy when running is my muscles right now, I can jog for 15 minutes and I wont be that out of breath. I could do 20 minutes, but when you run clockwise around an an object(In this case my house) my ankle nearest to the house starts to strain from constantly turning right.

I have no trouble with breathing during my 15 minutes, the main thing is my muscles now just building up leg muscles.

I eat whatever my dad puts on the plate, (My dad is a somewhat good cook) this can anything from fish and vegtables, chicken with gravy plus vegtables , sphaghetti bolganase. Chicken or Ham pies, with Vegetables.

I rarely eat pure fruit, I should really eat more.

I eat 1 Bowls of cereal in the morning with milk (Not super sugary cereals mind you) and I have dinner which consists of meat with a portion of vegetables and probably something starchy is well, I will have a few snacks in between like some biscuits, some ham, toast with butter, baegal sandwich etc.

Then I have a bowl of cereal as my last meal.

I make sure to fill up on water an hour and before I run.

The bad thing about running is that it is very monotonous. And usually the result is that you lose a pretty amount of calories. Something that I didn't care about in my past. So, I will definitely bring some variation into it as it is simply healthier for your body. Less back problems for example. And building up leg muscles usually takes place when you go max speed for a few seconds.

Many studies show interval training is better for your overall health and puts less strain on your joints.

Sorry If I interrupt your subject,although I dont have the same age/height/weight etc. I want to have this type of exercise (walking/running, running/walking) and If anyone is into that, please tell me the benefits of it.

Not just "is good for your heart etc" I know these, I want to know every little unimportant reason or result, it can give me,and why should I do it.

All about 1.health physical and mental 2.mood 3.appearance 4.reasons reasons reasons WHY should YOU keep doing it for the rest of your life.

I dont care about how fast I can run or how far I can go. I want to have the habit. Its important to me.

Because with my nutrition and stuff,things are going great. Im so into healthy eating. But exercising? ....ugh.. zero effort.

The reasons are very important to me.

The appearance is very important also. I know that you cant beat low self esteem with running,but it can improve things a little bit.

Thank you!!!!!

On Saturday, July 02, 2016 at 7:42 PM, Siim Land said:

• 80% of your training should be aerobic and at quite low intensity. A good rule of thumb is to look at your breathing. If you can breathe through your nose, then it's just enough
  • 20% should be anaerobic, like high intensity interval training. Either 5-10 minutes of Tabata intervals with 30 seconds of sprinting and 30 seconds walking or jogging. 

I thought that aerobic is about movement and increasing your heart rate more,and anaerobic more like pilates and yoga.

????

Popi, I started just walking to get some fresh air.  Then I decided I wanted to throw a little sprint into my walk so I did.  Then I decided I wanted to try to jog more, and go longer, so I did.  Then I said let me see if I can do this consistently and I did.  

You'll notice in the beginning that its nice just to take a walk.  After a while that isn't quite as satisfying and you kinda build over time.  As you progress be sure to monitor how your joints feel, don't feel bad for taking a day or even a week off if you start to get sore.  You can always do some light upper body workouts in the gym which will take the load off your legs while they rest.  Its good to have options when you work out, so that you're not always using the same muscles, tendons, joints, etc to the point where it leads to injury.  

Also just to echo what Siim Land said about nutrition, you can't outexercise a bad diet.  

Its not hard to get into a healthy habit of running or what I just call jogging, because I jog for the most part, and I slow down to walk when I'm tired or feel my joints are about to become a little stressed.  The hardest thing to do is to do it in moderation so you don't get an injury, but that is the key to longevity and getting to the point where you could potentially run the whole way, but I haven't got there yet, I'm still good where I'm at.  

A few notes, running shoes help, also some good breathable shorts if its hot.  A great psychological benefit I noticed in the beginning was that I could get myself directly out of a mental funk by just getting up, throwing on my shoes, and going for a quick walk or jog, its just good for a change of environment or a change of pace.  In other words I always feel better afterwards.  I was watching a video on Steph Curry and they said that sometimes he'll just go to the gym at 3:00am because he's just that dedicated, and hearing that reminded me of how dedicated I've been in the past.  It made me get off of my ass in that moment and go for a run and it was like 11:30 pm I think.  I remember that night I had a little piece that was really explosive, and I went faster than I'd ever gone up to that point.  What would have happened if I had stayed there sitting on my ass?  ha.  See.

Another thing to help you stay away from injury is to try to only jog or run when your going up hill.  When you're going down hill (even a slight decline) the pressure it puts on your knees increases from the way you land, not that it can't be done, just that its not that easy until you reach a good running weight, your legs and ankles have strengthened enough, and you have good form and technique.  So in the beginning only jog up hill and walk down hill.

You can google all the health and well being benefits, I don't know them off hand.  I just know its good for you as long as you take it slow, and give your body the rest it needs along the way.  Anyways, hope this helps.  

14 hours ago, SFRL said:

@Lorcan try boxing, you are at the perfect age now. 

I am 16 now. 17 in November.

This is OLD. Holy shit. Where did the time go? Kind of wish I could go back in time to 14 years old again. I have not had a running or meditation routine in so long. I could of experienced more growth if I kept up my meditation and running habit, as well as compounding those habits into more positive routine practices.

At some point, I fell into some of the usual traps at that age of 14-16. Obsessing to much over getting girls, playing to many video games. Luckily I have not been lulled back to sleep :D.  I still realize there is greater purpose for me.

Whats with answering threads that are like two years old? I have seen a good few people do it and I do not know why. Thank you anyway. It was a reminder of how fast time goes by me mindlessly. Thank you so much. Soulbass and  SFRL

Edited by Lorcan