soos_mite_ah

How do you know when you have shifted from stage green to stage yellow?

9 posts in this topic

As far as my personal journey goes, three years ago I would consider myself very green with bits of orange in me. I was very into feminism, anti-capitalism, equality, understanding a variety of cultures for a global, inclusive perspective.  Back then I was also very emotionally closed off and afraid of vulnerability and saw it as a weakness on my part even though I wouldn't have judged other people in the same way. 

Since then, I was placed in a very blue/ orange environment. Initially, because I was very green, it was my knee-jerk reaction to start moralizing to these blue/orange people and start shoving my thoughts on society and politics on them. I was very triggered and I thought it was absolutely necessary to put up a fight because or else I would be complicit. I saw them as demons or people who lacked any type of empathy towards the disadvantaged in society. After a couple years of being in this environment, I noticed that I don't feel the need to lecture about my views anymore to people who do not agree with me. Because I was around very blue/orange people, I eventually started understanding where their points are coming from and how these views were created in the first place even though I do not agree with them. They ceased to appear as demons and I could see how they played into a larger social system and how they were simply playing their part. I was already having these thoughts and observations and upon discovering spiral dynamics, a lot of things, starting from the people I was around to the subjects I was studying, began to make sense. While my political and social stances have not changed, I would say that my attitude has. I can see how their perspective fits into the greater narrative and progression in society. I am at a point where I don't think perspectives are right or wrong but they just are, similar to how our feelings aren't right or wrong but an indication of our internal state. Instead of perspectives falling into a binary of right vs. wrong, they fall under a spectrum of complete vs. incomplete. And when we have an incomplete perspective, to make it more holistic, we can either look at the holes and humbly admit that we simply don't know, or find information and narratives to fill those holes, not because we need to be more right than the other perspectives, but so that we can take those other perspectives and create a more accurate picture. 

As far as being emotionally closed off goes, I have worked through those issues in therapy and through self development to the point where I am open with my feelings and I even am open to my negative emotions such as fear, anger, and sadness as they inform what is going on in ego and self and can be a source of insight. However, while I have made progress, I would say that I have a bad habit of thinking about my feelings rather than feeling my feelings. This is still a work in progress. 

I think I fall somewhere between green and yellow though I wouldn't be surprised if part of me is still in orange. However, I'm not sure since the ego can over estimate itself on the spiral which is why I wanted to ask this question. How do you know when you have moved from green to yellow?  If you have made that transition, what made you realize you shifted and what was your experience? 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

How judgmental are you of capitalists, Wall Street types, CEOs, religious people, etc?

One of the hallmarks of Yellow is a drop in judgment of other worldviews and perspectives.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura  

I don't agree with the capitalistic value for excessive materialism as that can be very toxic and limited since it does not include the perspectives of most people who do not benefit from increasing profits because of how wealth is distributed. Nevertheless, I can see how those motivations did help in creating the orange economy we have today and create prosperity after industrialization which I respect since it is a foundation for further societal development. In regards to religious people, while I do not believe in religion and the dogmas that it can carry, I can see the ways religion can manifest as a healthy and necessary force in people's lives. The way i think of it, if the belief of a supernatural deity can give you guidance, hope for the future, peace of mind, and help you sleep at night, who am i to judge? I will admit that a part of me does tend to judge religious people when they abandon critical thinking to the point where they hurt people (ie sexism, terrorism etc), however I can see why they feel or think that way which does temper my initial judgments. 

I guess I still do have my judgments but I have softened those judgments considerably over the years with empathy and understanding. 

@soos_mite_ah You are doing good. Sounds to me like you're in late Green, early Yellow.

@Leo Gura  Thank you so much. Also, from what I get from stage yellow is that this stage does not fall into the trap of false equivalency. As a result, I'm guessing yellow can see the short comings as well as the necessities of each stage and how it falls into a natural hierarchy. Given this, would yellow's judgement be more of a discernment? Would the difference between judgement and discernment be whether or not there is an emotional reaction to the subject in question?

@soos_mite_ah Correct

Judgment takes things personally and seeks to deny reality.

@soos_mite_ah As I see it, if you do active things like reading many books, learning about yellow attitude, meditate etc you can reach at most 25-33% of yellow.

The rest 2/3 or 3/4 (66-75%) is going to be only from passive yellow development, which is the most natural and authentic one, that occures as a natural result of satisfacting the more basic needs from orange and green and exhausting them. Only then your mind will be really free to think about the next step and be grounded in more 'being' state. That is the more subconscious kind of development but the core of it.

Edited by Nivsch

🌻 Stage Yellow emerges when Green starts to have tolerance and respect to the variety of views within HIMSELF. Israelis here? Let me know!

@Nivsch Can you provide examples of yellow literature? Would you consider Manufacturing Consent yellow?

On 25.4.2020 at 6:00 AM, Ya know said:

@Nivsch Can you provide examples of yellow literature? Would you consider Manufacturing Consent yellow?

Its not yellow because its about engineering the crowd thinking. Super corrapt red/blue mentality. yellow would never do it.

One yellow book I think is really good is "The subtle art of not giving a fuck" by Mark Manson. Also I think a lot of books from Leo's list, and NLP books as well.

Edited by Nivsch

🌻 Stage Yellow emerges when Green starts to have tolerance and respect to the variety of views within HIMSELF. Israelis here? Let me know!