LoveandPurpose

I want to learn how to think properly

10 posts in this topic

At the moment I want to study epistemology so I can differenciate between what's right and wrong.

But when I started reading, it came to me that I must take one step further back and first learn how to think - so I can know which books on epistemology are right and which are wrong.

Can you recommend me books on how to use your mind properly? Along the lines of being aware of biases, thinking critically etc..

Thanks to everyone helping me! :) 

Yeah I would love to know more about this as well. Irrational by Stuart Sutherland is a good and interesting book about how some cognitive biases are impairing our thinking and judgements. It views rationalism as the end all be all and disregards intuition and what not but it is a good read. Not an easy read but would definitely recommend. Opened my eyes as to how wrong and biased our thinking could be.

Hey, books are cool but obviously focus a lot on the theory. My experience is its best to see this play out in action which is why ive linked to channels below that do street epistemology. I think in general though its better to not think of things in black and white terms as in something is holistically good or bad, its better to see why thing A could be seen as good or bad and why opposing thing B could also be seen as bad. You yourself dont have to have a solid standpoint, however after a while researching topics in this way you might find that you lean toward one side because of the evidence however you know the flaws in whatever side that is and the positives of the other side. Your mind will always be open to new evidence so you dont build up an attachment with any one perspective. So its building a comfort being uncertain at no knowing, because realistically saying you dont know is the only logical answer to most big questions for humans, the fact everyone 'knows' something different that contradicts with another person with an opposing view shows us that most of us at least, are mistaken when we say we know something. 

Anyway here are they videos, the guys doing this are atheist but of course there a limitations to being an atheist and i suspect you could probably even dismantle some of their beliefs such as their idea of consciousness or that the self is real. But i think these are still great demonstrations of Epistemology in action, you can us this method to question any belief you yourself have (i linked one of their vids random but check their channels for more) - 

@Consept Although I still think that some theory on this would be good - helpful advice and thanks for the videos man! :)  

2 hours ago, LoveandPurpose said:

At the moment I want to study epistemology so I can differenciate between what's right and wrong.

But when I started reading, it came to me that I must take one step further back and first learn how to think - so I can know which books on epistemology are right and which are wrong.

Can you recommend me books on how to use your mind properly?

Write it and focus on it.

Meditate it. Turtle it.

Imprint in your mind.

"I want to think properly"

Walk around.

Digestion & repeat