Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chives99

Trump rushing to reopen the US

13 posts in this topic

Seems like sending lambs to the slaughter, I've been following the live statistics daily and the US has not "passed its peak" contrary to  trump in the past 2 days us cases have increased by over 100,000 .The peak hasn't  been reached yet. I don't think trump even cares if people die, less dependables in his eyes, if he did he would listen to what health experts were actually saying. I think trump has the thinking of a medieval Emporer but operating in a modern day society, whatever brings my country on top even if that costs  millions of lives, he probably only put the lockdown in place to not lose his population ie workforce  and not destroy the country, but he'll sacrifice many for the success of the country to get ahead of others to thus boost his ego and dominate the entire system.

Edited by Chives99

"You have to allow yourself to not know"- Peter Ralston

It's not just that.  He is probably getting lots of pressure to open - and it "appears" the hotspot states have plateaued...the deaths we are seeing now are from weeks ago.  We have just seen 12k deaths in like 5 days as it is up to like 32k deaths right now.

People are getting anxious.  The curve has flattened.  Yet to your point this monster is still out there.    We need the antibody testing which we don't have and probably won't anytime soon.    We need the regular testing and as of right now we don't have the volume of testing it would take to get things opened.  We would need radical testing so that only people testing negative could enter public establishments - holding their test results with them.   So without this we are really just gambling that it will spread again if we open it up too soon.    Taking people's temps isn't a good solution as most are asymptomatic.

Yet, as most crisis seem to reach a peak and then decline, perhaps the beast has lost some steam due to the social distancing.  I tell you what, personally I'm on board with opening things back up May 1st in my state if we have some things in place to ensure shit doesn't hit the fan.   But we don't have them yet.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Inliytened1 it seems to be mainly concentrated in majour cities such as  New York and LA, but I wouldn't trust suitable distancing measures of other states/counties given how easily it is spread, not much use opening up the economy when more people get sick on a mass scale, can't produce if you're ill. Opening up in these lesser hit states would have to be done very gradually, maybe only allow some people out to work/ run errands on one day and others on another, also temporally employ people in important industries such as fruit picking and factories. In the UK people are taking these jobs as they have no other income and are bored being sat at home all day

4 hours ago, Inliytened1 said:

Yet to your point this monster is still out there. 

Yes.

And we also have the virus to deal with ;)

Trump will do whatever he thinks will get him reelection. That's his only concern.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

9 hours ago, Chives99 said:

I think trump has the thinking of a medieval Emporer but operating in a modern day society, whatever brings my country on top even if that costs millions of lives.

perhaps thats what is needed for the us right now. china is growing like crazy and the us has been consistently declining in comparison until trump. he didnt get elected for nothing america needs a wild beast to bring some balance back to the global politics as its become number two second to china. the white house is not stupid and america could use even a more acute version of trump if theres any but hes the most acute in hand i guess. i guess assassinating the iranian general was an attempt to shift the us focus towards asia instead of the middle east by weakening a chinese ally as that should at least keep the us and china in the same league. however it does seem like china is unstoppable and things are getting more difficult for the us specially after this whole covid-19 thing and the biggest success in china and worst failure in america. its likely that china will make some changes to strengthen its economy even more and then to better its political position. so now i think it would make sense why trump is rushing to reopen b cuz frankly the us is losing drastically 

Edited by The observer

1 hour ago, The observer said:

perhaps thats what is needed for the us right now.

What is a human life worth? what is your life worth?. Growing to stage green means you will have to make some sacrifices for your compassion in that caring and providing for your citizens will weaken your ability to dominate the world. Switzerland probably is the country that takes care of its citizens the most and it has no need to dominate others, threats such as China and Iran could be handled by much greater cooperation 

5 hours ago, Chives99 said:

What is a human life worth?  

According to my calculations about $466,000,000.00 per death due to coronavirus.

13 minutes ago, Bodigger said:

According to my calculations about $466,000,000.00 per death due to coronavirus.

That would be an estimate based reported deaths after mitigation and prevention is imposed. That is certainly an estimate, yet another valid estimate would be based on deaths without prevention and mitigation. The death toll would be orders of magnitude higher if there was not global efforts of prevention and mitigation. The coronavirus has an dangerous combination of Ro and severity. 

@DivineSoda Sweden has different conditions, they are very sparsely populated with 23p/sqkm2  , where as with England its 259 per sqkm2 , Sweden can get away with a low virus rate just by restricting cross country and intra- city travel and social distancing 

We cannot fully solve the problem of covid 19 without a vaccine. This is quite unfortunate as many people will lose jobs and many businesses will go bankrupt but that's where the country comes in. Our countries must help people who have financial difficulties now.

That would be better than what Trump is doing now

"A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you're doing it right, but not enough to know you're doing it wrong."

- Neil Degrasse Tyson

3 hours ago, apparentlynoself said:

We cannot fully solve the problem of covid 19 without a vaccine.

A very robust testing and contact tracking system would be also work. As they do in Hong Kong and South Korea.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

For me this virus has been a good exercise in cultivating non-resistance... a lot of resistances have been brought up in me during this that I've been working through. Is it selfish to use world events like this to help free myself?  I've gone back and forth on whether we are over-reacting to the virus.

Part of me wonders if the people just going out there living their lives, not over-reacting, in a common sense manner of course, are actually the more enlightened ones compared to the people panicking and scolding others and ratting them out.. to me they seem like the neurotic ones... full of fear, resisting what is.  Do we really need to be obsessed with saving every last life? Everyone dies.  Food for thought. It's the elderly and people who are overweight and not taking care of themselves that are the most affected. I'm not sure how it will go over here compared to other forums but just thought I'd throw it out there. For what it's worth I've met several 80+ year olds that have lived good lives, and are out there living life during this virus... their attitude is "if it gets me, it gets me."  ... to me that sort of acceptance is wise, but I can see how being compassionate towards others who don't share that viewpoint and want to take precautions is also wise, so I've taken a middle ground approach. :)  If they open it back up, fine. If they don't, I'm fine with that also.  I will say I could use a haircut!

Edited by sholomar