Pelin

How Important Is Style/clothes For You?

16 posts in this topic

Much as we talk about inner development, we live in this world and we have to go to work/school nearly everyday. Looking at Leo's early videos with casual style shirts and now his black background+black shirt which makes a statement, I guess style does matter.

I was also thinking about the hippie movement, which certainly makes a style (hair musical, for example) and the style in a way made them more memorable. However, I cannot say I have found a style that will last through my life, other than jeans&a tee which I nearly wear everyday ( thankfully my workplace doesn't have a dress code). 

What are your thoughts on this? Does style matter for you? Do you feel like you need to make a statement with your clothes/accesories etc.?

It's definitely not a priority for me. But I'd also be lying if I said I didn't have a certain style. Style comes naturally from authentic expression of self.

For me it's important. Having confortable clothes that fit my body tipe with a certain aesthetic boosts my confidence. 

for me, I would probably run around naked if it wasn't illegal. In other words, have very little care about clothing

Edited by electroBeam
felt like putting in an effort for grammar today

I like to wear clothing which is minimalistic in color and style. Which to me is 

black/white or occasionally some earth-tones. Mostly basic shirts and long pants

that work in most situations, professional or casual.

I really dont resonate with anything that has brand names or eye-catching graphics 

on it (greetings to the walking billboards out there), basic is best. 

It should not be important. But I still dont want to look like crap, but i do not wanna be superficial and care about it so thats something im workin on.

@Pelin, At age 12 I went to San Francisco, and never wore a typical jeans and a tee uniform again... lol... As a creative person, visual expression for myself and others is highly important and vastly overlooked. If you are only comfy in jeans and a tee, and that is truly you, great, rock it... I don't like stereotypes, but for the purpose of defining style, we can even say that there are may versions of jeans and tee's from rolled-up-rock-a -Billy-ish, to preppy, or frumpy, even "dangerous"... lol.... .

that said, I find most people wear those exact items as a mask of conformity because there is so much societal pressure to be "normal".... sadly, because of this phenomenon, I have developed a terrible neurosis where I tend to avoid people that appear to be "normal", because the judgement they feel from others (must conform), often causes judgement in themselves... in turn perpetuating my judgement of normalcy... lol... if only everyone dressed as they truly wanted, in a beautiful circus of pure expression.... the world would be way more fun, for me anyway...

Style is a concept (obviously) but therein lies the problem, believing that what you or others are wearing represents something when it doesn't.

Some dress like celebrities because they believe in the fantasy of concepts about an identity. Some don't care, some go wild, ect ect.

But me? 

18 minutes ago, Epiphany_Inspired said:

As a creative person, visual expression for myself and others is highly important and vastly overlooked.

This. I dress myself as another form of expression.

I have a style. Its called "wear whatever you like".

Sometimes I like to go more casual/sport type.

Other times I like to wear more feminine and serious looking clothes. Sexy etc.

It doesnt really matter to me. If something fits me and I like the look of it,i will buy it. I dont care about brands and expensive/cheap.

For me, clothing is art... The same way we paint pictures, we could dress ourselves... that said, I totally agree with you... likely, if I was enlightened, I could wear anything or nothing regardless...

Style it doesn't mean being fashion. Style is the expression of your preferences and what you want to show to others.

Even minimalist is a style and is saying  to the world "I don't care"...

Every style can have its pitfalls...depends on how important this is for you.

I think that sometimes the problem with clothing is the exuberant amount of clothes that people buy and with so low quality made in this so well know shops. "The true cost" is a good documentarie about the subject

Edited by Raquel

Yes I agree with most of you here, I was asking the question as a form of self-expression, and regardless of fashion and its ugly industry. I was thinking about Dalai Lama and Buddhists, I was thinking about hippies and such. If thought movements have a certain kind of style, what about this community, I wondered. But also a lot of mindfulness is needed when it comes to what we put on our body, as well as in it. 

I like to dress for comfort. I feel like its all about self expression and wearing what you're happy with. I try and keep my clothes stain free and not wear torn clothing or stained up clothing. I feel like that says something about you that you don't care. Appearance does matter.

In my opinion very unimportant. Try to spend as little time/thought on it as possible and use that energy on self actualizing

Easy choices, hard life. Hard choices, easy life.