SamueLSD

Looking for a good explanation of sleep.

13 posts in this topic

Sounds pretty simple, and stupid... but the further I expand my awareness, the more questions arise, and this is one that is bugging me in-particular. 

Why am I not conscious during deep sleep? 

The thought that goes through my mind is: where the fuck does consciousness go??

Although, I know this thought is limited as it obviously doesn't "go" anywhere.

Is consciousness just "tuned out" almost completely, with only a minuscule trickle seeping into my mind?

Scientifically, it makes sense. Metaphysically, I cannot wrap my damn head around it.

“The psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight.”

if you can say with confidence that there is deep sleep then you most certainly were conscious there. it isnt possible to know and not be aware because knowledge is awareness. the thought right now in your mind is dualistic assuming degrees of awareness while its always been just one degree the right now degree.

@The observer 

I do not remember being in deep sleep.

I am just aware it was a period of time that there seemed to be nothing, and I have labelled that as deep sleep.

1 hour ago, The observer said:

assuming degrees of awareness 

There are degrees of awareness, a 600 micro-gram acid trip is obviously a higher state of awareness than a deep sleep. 

Thanks for your response

“The psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight.”

That's the problem with the word consciousness. It's the problem with any word... Consciousness, as in, all that is, does not mean being conscious of. All that is cannot be put into words. Consciousness is a word.

Alternative Rock Music and Spirituality on YouTube: The Buddha Visions

6 minutes ago, Gili Trawangan said:

does not mean being conscious of

I like that. Thank you. I still don't quite get it.

If I, my true nature, is consciousness, where the hell do I go late at night?

( Again I am aware that question is somewhat invalid, but I know there is some sort of answer I am looking for )

28 minutes ago, SamueLSD said:

I like that. Thank you. I still don't quite get it.

If I, my true nature, is consciousness, where the hell do I go late at night?

( Again I am aware that question is somewhat invalid, but I know there is some sort of answer I am looking for )

Did you read the rest of my comment? Maybe it wasn't very clear, I'll try to be more direct. Your true nature is NOT consciousness. Consciousness is a word, a concept you're holding in your mind. Your true nature CANNOT be put into words or concepts. It REALLY can't. Once you've begun to hold a concept in your mind about what reality is, you're already wrong and in a trap. Consciousness as a concept is just a trap. Once you let go of that, sleep has no hidden secrets anymore.

Alternative Rock Music and Spirituality on YouTube: The Buddha Visions

1 hour ago, SamueLSD said:

I am just aware it was a period of time 

That might be the thorn. There might be a deriving of time from apparent change, but perception is not apparent change. Apparent change is dualistic, and of thought, which is “itself” the consciousness, and thus can not be thought. Imagine a man made of clay, asking where the clay goes when “he sleeps”. To have a lucid dream is to realize One is Sleeping.

Lucid? 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Well, you're trying to get a conceptual understanding of something that is beyond concepts, in your own words. So, you're dead in the water.

3 hours ago, Gili Trawangan said:

Once you let go of that, sleep has no hidden secrets anymore.

@Heyyyyyy

Right. 

You're saying I need an awakening to realise this truth?

Edited by SamueLSD

@Nahm 

Thanks Nahm, I'll try to keep that in mind. I'm sure it will click eventually lol.

Maybe I need to sleep on it 

You are absolute nothing/infinity during deep sleep. You imagine reality during dreams. And you imagine this reality while awake.   

The higher your state of consciousness, the time you feel between deep sleep and waking life will shorten since your awareness of source/love/self increases, because in the absolute, time is imagined.    

5 minutes ago, erik8lrl said:

You are absolute nothing/infinity during deep sleep    

I have realised some of the problem: I cannot grasp something infinite within a finite mind.

I have already realised this, but I am again realising that it's difficult to not do that.