Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chisel

[book] The subtle art of not giving a f*, Mark Manson (6/10)

5 posts in this topic

Don't let the score fool you. This is a very interesting book. Everyone has their first "self-help" book and this was my first one.

Mark Manson has a very particular style of writing. I found him funny, easy to understand, very simple ideas with a lot of potential and I especially loved the last chapter of the book. It is a good book that can be visited back many times over. Negative score reviews on Good Reads website are very funny to read, certainly the rudeness of the writing has caused some anger on the more intelectual types. The score doesn't reach a high number because the book had the opportunity to go much deeper but didn't. It was just walking around the surface when all the juicy bits are underground. The focus on having a mass appeal made the book a bit shallow in the end. My scores start from a 5 and go higher or lower depending how much good or bad the product does.

The sequel book "Everything is f*" is the perfect book for the pandemic we are facing and came out way before it happening. It is like he predicted the future.

Mark Manson also has his own website and blog with the same style writing.

Warning: Both books have a lot of swearing.

He is well read in Ken Wilber apparently, cool guy

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

I thought it was an enjoyable read. While there is not a lot of stuff in there that would be life changing I would read his other book just for enjoyment. He is a good writer for sure. 

I personally prefer The Life Changing Magic of not giving a f by Sarah Knight.

More actionable tips.