Raphael

Let's get practical #2: Deep Work & Organization

660 posts in this topic

25 September 2020

• Wake Up Time: 07:27 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 10:10 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

• ✅ 45 minutes of Doing Nothing Before Going To Sleep

Work Sessions:

• 04:03 PM - 04:33 PM
    • I had a call
    • Focus: 3.5/5
    • Duration: 30 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 08:58 AM - 10:41 AM
    • I worked on my website. I added many images and did a few corrections
    • Duration: 1 hour 43 minutes
  • 11:08 AM -12:47 AM
    • I continued the work on my website
    • Duration: 1 hour 39 minutes
  • 01:47 PM - 01:58 PM
    • I had a call with a client
    • Focus: 3/5
    • Duration: 11 minutes
  • 02:10 PM - 03:10 PM
    • I fixed some emails templates
    • Duration: 1 hour
  • 03:53 PM - 04:03 PM
    • I started to work back on my website and quickly got interrupted. This guy always contacts me in the wrong moment, always when I'm taking a break or when I start working on my own stuff. It's super annoying
    • Duration: 10 minutes
  • 04:33 PM - 05:00 PM
    • I worked on a services carousel
    • Duration: 27 minutes
  • 07:37 PM - 08:48 PM
    • I worked on my website. I was quite focused
    • Duration: 1 hour 11 minutes

I had another sleepless night.

@Raphael Courage, stay focused on your objective and you will make it.

• Average Focus: 3.25 / 5 (objective at least 4 / 5)
  • Total Work Duration: 6 hours 51 minutes, including 6 hours 21 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)
  • Total Reading Time: 0 minutes (objective 0 minutes, I'm not reading anything currently)
Edited by Raphael

26 September 2020

• Wake Up Time: 06:17 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 10:02 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 02:23 PM - 03:22 PM
    • I had an amateur photoshoot to get some pictures of me for my website. The quality isn't top-notch, but that's what I can have
    • Duration: 59 minutes
  • 03:24 PM - 04:17 PM
    • I communicated a little with a client, filtered a bunch of photos, and searched for a testing phone
    • Focus: 2/5
    • Duration: 53 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 08:54 AM - 10:25 AM
    • I did a few bug fixes and also some label design
    • Duration: 1 hour 29 minutes
  • 11:05 AM - 12:16 AM
    • I worked on improvements for the mobile website
    • Duration: 1 hour 11 minutes
  • 01:33 PM - 02:21 PM
    • I finished working on the mobile ad area bug
    • Duration: 48 minutes
  • 07:30 PM - 08:40 PM
    • I finally fixed the bug on the mobile view
    • Focus: 3.75/5
    • Duration: 1 hour 10 minutes

Sleep was way better than the previous night, but I distracted myself a lot during the day. Because of that I didn't work that much and didn't work on my website. I need to complete this one as soon as possible, it will be crucial for my marketing.

• Average Focus: 3.125 / 5 (objective at least 4 / 5)
  • Total Work Duration: 5 hours 42 minutes, including 3 hours 50 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)
  • Total Reading Time: 0 minutes (objective 0 minutes, I'm not reading anything currently)
Edited by Raphael

Be Lazy (from Deep Work: Rules For Focused Success In A Distracted World -  Cal Newport)

• Injecting regular and substantial freedom from professional concerns into your day provides the idleness paradoxically required to get deep work done
  • At the end of the workday, shut down your consideration of work issues until the next morning
  • If more time is needed, extend the workday, but once shut down, the mind must be left free

• Reason #1: Downtime Aids Insights
    • Some decisions are better left to the unconscious mind to untangle
    • Actively trying to work through decisions will lead to a worse outcome than loading up the relevant information and then moving on to something else while letting the subconscious layers of the mind mull things over
    • For decisions that require the application of strict rules, the conscious mind must be involved
    • For decisions that involve large amounts of information and multiple vague, and perhaps even conflicting, constraints, the unconscious mind is better suited
    • The conscious mind is like a home computer on which carefully written programs can be run and return correct answers to limited problems
    • The unconscious mind is like Google's data centers, in which statistical algorithms sift through terabytes of unstructured information, teasing out surprising useful solutions to difficult questions
    • Providing the conscious brain time to rest enables the unconscious mind to take shift sorting through the most complex challenges
    • A shutdown habit is not necessarily reducing the amount of time you're engaged in productive work, but is instead diversifying the type of work you deploy
  • Reason #2: Downtime Helps Recharge the Energy Needed to Work Deeply
    • Attention Restoration Theory (ART): spending time in nature can improve the ability to concentrate
      • Walking through nature invoke attention modestly, allowing focused-attention mechanisms a chance to replenish
      • When walking through nature, you're freed from having to direct your attention, as there are few challenges to navigate and experience enough interesting stimuli to keep the mind sufficiently occupied to avoid the need to actively aim your attention. This state allows your directed attention resources time to replenish
    • You can restore your ability to direct your attention if you give this activity a rest
    • If you keep interrupting your evening to check and respond to e-mail, or put aside a few hours after dinner to catch up on an approaching deadline, you're robbing your directed attention centers of the uninterrupted rest they need for restoration
    • Trying to squeeze a little more work out of your evenings might reduce your effectiveness the next day enough that you end up getting less done than if you had instead respected a shutdown
  • Reason #3: The Work That Evening Downtime Replaces Is Usually Not That Important
    • For a novice, an hour a day of intense concentration seems to be a limit, while for experts this number can expand to as many as four hours
    • Any work fit into the night, therefore won't be the type of high-value activities that really advance your career; your efforts will instead likely be confined to low-value shallow tasks
    • By deferring evening work, you're not missing out on much of importance
    • Accept the commitment that once your workday shuts down, you cannot allow even the smallest incursion of professional concerns into your field of attention. Including: checking e-mail, browsing work-related websites
    • Even a brief intrusion of work can generate a self-reinforcing stream of distraction that impedes the shutdown advantages
    • Shutdown with a strict shutdown ritual that you use at the end of the workday to maximize the probability of success
      • Ensure that every incomplete task, goal, or project has been reviewed and that for each you have confirmed that either:
        1. You have a plan you trust for its completion
        2. It's captured in a place where it will be revisited when the time is right
      • Have a set phrase you say that indicates completion
      • The process should be an algorithm: a series of steps you always conduct, one after another
      • Reason: Avoid the Zeigarnik effect
        • Incomplete tasks tend to dominate our attention. If we simply stop whatever we are doing at 5 PM and declare "I'm done with work until tomorrow", you'll likely struggle to keep your mind clear of professional issues, as the many obligations left unresolved in your mind will keep battling for your attention throughout the evening
        • It's possible to limit the impact by making a plan for getting the work done later, it will facilitate the attainment of the goal and also free cognitive resources for other pursuits

27 September 2020

• Wake Up Time: 06:30 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:15 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Deep Work Sessions:

• 10:07 AM - 10:53 AM
    • I did a small correction on the password forgotten page and a few improvements on an HTML template.
    • Duration: 46 minutes

@Raphael That's good, you rested properly today :)

• Average Focus: 3.75 / 5 (objective at least 4 / 5)
  • Total Work Duration: 46 minutes, including 46 minutes of Deep Work (objective 0 minutes)
Edited by Raphael

Weekly Statistics (21 September 2020 - 27 September 2020)

Total Working Hours

28 hours 13 minutes

Average Focus

3.25 / 5

Edited by Raphael

Embrace Boredom (from Deep Work: Rules For Focused Success In A Distracted World -  Cal Newport)

• Efforts to deepen focus will struggle if you don't remove distractions
  • You'll struggle to achieve the deepest levels of concentration if you spend the rest of your time fleeing the slightest hint of boredom
  • Constant attention switching online has a lasting negative effect on the brain
  • Once the brain becomes accustomed to on-demand distraction, it's hard to shake the addiction even when we want to concentrate
  • If every moment of potential boredom (ex: waiting 5 minutes) is quickly relieved with a quick glance at your smartphone, then your brain has likely been rewired to a point where it's not ready for deep work — even if you regularly schedule a time to practice concentration

28 September 2020

• Wake Up Time: 05:41 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:03 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 07:41 AM - 09:17 AM
    • I sent an email uploaded some images and retouched images. The result isn't perfect as I'm far from being an expert in image retouching, but that's all that I have for the moment. I need to start generating results
    • Duration: 1 hour 36 minutes
  • 10:48 AM - 11:03 AM
    • I had a call with my client
    • Duration: 15 minutes
  • 11:33 AM - 12:32 AM
    • I continued updating my different profiles and started to write content on my website
  • 03:52 PM - 04:05 PM
    • I had a quick call with a client
    • Duration: 13 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 09:26 AM - 10:18 AM
    • I did an update to the contact form on my website and started to update my profile on recruitment platforms
    • Duration: 52 minutes
  • 11:04 AM - 11:32 AM
    • I designed a few social media icons
    • Duration: 28 minutes
  • 01:35 PM - 03:03 PM
    • I worked on my website content. I lack a little of inspiration, but I think that it will be fine
    • Duration: 1 hour 28 minutes
  • 03:11 PM - 03:45 PM
    • I started to work back on my website SEO then got interrupted by a client. My concentration is also starting to fall down a little
    • Duration: 34 minutes
  • 04:06 PM - 04:59 PM
    • I started to do some SEO optimization, then got interrupted by a call, then got fucked up by the slow network. I still managed to get stuff done anyway

@Raphael Wow... Awesome work Raphael! You really nailed it today! Continue improving yourself :)

• Average Focus: 3.33 / 5 (objective at least 4 / 5)
  • Total Work Duration: 7 hours 18 minutes, including 5 hours 12 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)
Edited by Raphael

Take Breaks from Focus (from Deep Work: Rules For Focused Success In A Distracted World -  Cal Newport)

• Once you're wired for distraction, you crave it
  • Schedule occasional breaks from focus to distract yourself
  • Schedule when you'll use the internet and avoid it outside the scheduled times
    • Keep a notepad near your computer
    • Record the next time you're allowed to use the internet
    • Don't distract yourself until the allowed time
    • Main idea
      • The use of a distracting service does not reduce the brain's ability to focus
      • The constant switching from low-stimuli/high-value activities to high-stimuli/low-value activities, at the slightest hint of boredom or cognitive challenge, teaches the mind to never tolerate an absence of novelty
      • By segregating Internet use and distractions you're minimizing the number of times you give in to distraction, and by doing so you let these attention-selecting muscles strengthen

• Point #1: This strategy works even if your job requires lots of Internet use and/or prompt e-mail replies
    • The duration of the internet blocks will vary depending on your work
    • The total number or duration of Internet blocks doesn't matter as much as making sure that the integrity of your offline blocks remains intact
  • Point #2: Regardless of how you schedule your Internet blocks, you must keep the time outside these blocks absolutely free from Internet use
    • Sometimes a crucial piece of information will be needed online to make progress. It can cause you to get stuck if you are in an offline block.
      • Resist the temptation to go online
      • You may end-up procrastinating by consulting other information
      • It's doesn't take many of these exceptions before your mind begins to treat the barrier between the Internet and offline blocks as permeable — diminishing the benefits of this strategy
    • Don't immediately abandon an offline block, even when stuck. If possible, switch to another offline activity for the remainder of the current block (or perhaps fill this time relaxing)
    • If it's impossible to continue working on an offline block, then change the schedule so that the next Internet block begins sooner
      • Key to the change: enforce at least a five-minute gap between the current moment and the next time you can go online. It will separate the sensation of wanting to go online from the reward of actually doing so
  • Point #3: Scheduling Internet use at home as well as at work can further improve your concentration training
    • If you find yourself glued to a smartphone or laptop throughout your evenings and weekends, then it's likely undoing many of your attempts during the workday to rewire your brain. In this case, maintain the strategy of scheduling Internet use even after the workday is over
    • If the Internet plays a large and important role in your evening entertainment: Schedule lots of long Internet blocks
    • Key: give yourself plenty of opportunities throughout your evening to resist switching to these distractions at the slightest hint of boredom
    • If you're a force to wait (ex: standing in line at a store), it's crucial in these situations, accept the boredom, and fight through it with only the company of your thoughts
Edited by Raphael

29 September 2020

• Wake Up Time: 05:54 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:30 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 08:34 AM - 08:54 AM
    • I started the day with a small call
    • Duration: 20 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 08:54 AM - 10:08 AM
    • I corrected email templates. I had a lot of difficult thoughts and felt sad during this session
    • Duration: 1 hour 14 minutes
  • 10:31 AM - 12:00 AM
    • I had a debugging session, then did some research on minimalist CSS frameworks
  • 12:05 AM - 12:55 AM
    • I did some research an started to write an article
    • Duration: 50 minutes
  • 02:16 PM - 03:20 PM
    • I completed the writing of a page on my website
    • Duration: 1 hour 4 minutes
  • 03:36 PM - 04:46 PM
    • I continued adding content for my website

@Raphael Good job, that was a great day! Maybe a little less intense then yesterday, but it went well overall. Continue :)

• Average Focus: 3.375 / 5 (objective at least 4 / 5)
  • Total Work Duration: 6 hours 7 minutes, including 5 hours 47 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)
Edited by Raphael

30 September 2020

• Wake Up Time: 05:51 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)

• 45 minutes of Doing Nothing Before Going To Sleep

Work Sessions:

• 10:32 AM - 11:06 AM
    • I gave little assistance to a client. I'm sick of this guy, he is contacting me 24/24, he almost doesn't sleep.

Deep Work Sessions:

• 11:10 AM - 11:48 AM
    • I fixed a few email templates. I was distracted listening to the US presidential debate at the same time
    • Duration: 38 minutes

@Raphael Good job :)

• Average Focus: 3.25 / 5 (objective at least 4 / 5)
  • Total Work Duration: 1 hour 12 minutes, including 38 minutes of Deep Work (objective 0 minutes)
Edited by Raphael

01 October 2020

• Wake Up Time: 06:58 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 10:40 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

• ❌ 45 minutes of Doing Nothing Before Going To Sleep

Work Sessions:

• 09:50 AM - 09:12 AM
    • I had a call
    • Duration: 22 minutes
  • 07:33 PM - 08:36 PM
    • I run some plugins on my website, did some updates, and contacted a few persons
    • Duration: 57 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 09:13 AM - 09:47 AM
    • I did a few corrections
  • 10:12 AM - 11:52 AM
    • I did some content writing
    • Duration: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • 12:00 AM - 12:35 AM
    • I worked on another page on my website
    • Duration: 35 minutes
  • 01:35 PM - 02:49 PM
    • I completed another page on my website
    • Duration: 1 hour 14 minutes
  • 03:02 PM - 03:55 PM
    • I continued working on my website. I distracted myself a little too much
  • 04:02 PM - 04:52 PM
    • I completed page titles and meta titles. Run some optimizations plugins

I got lazy to get out of bed this morning.

@Raphael Good job :) Stay careful of your waking up and going of sleep hours, have an awesome night ♥

• Average Focus: 3.19 / 5 (objective at least 4 / 5)
  • Total Work Duration: 7 hours 5 minutes, including 5 hours 46 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)
Edited by Raphael

02 October 2020

• Wake Up Time: 06:58 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 10:10 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 11:00 AM - 11:16 AM
    • I had a call
    • Duration: 16 minutes
  • 12:06 AM - 01:33 AM
    • I did a lot of unrelated things. I got interrupted twice and I also heard an explosion of desperation from my grandma from the first floor.
    • Duration: 1 hour 27 minutes
  • 02:36 PM - 04:03 PM
    • I had a long talk. I wasn't focused. The more I want this guy to disappear, the more comes back interrupting my days
    • Focus: 1 hour 27 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 11:28 AM - 11:55 AM
    • I did a few fixes. I distracted myself too much
    • Focus: 2.5/5
    • Duration: 27 minutes
  • 04:37 PM - 04:54 PM
    • I did a small correction
    • Duration: 7 minutes

I went to bed too late yesterday so I woke up late today. I also got lazy and didn't want to work today. However, I can see more and more the importance of a proper schedule and the importance of slowing down in the evening, avoid screen, and not doing anything.

• Average Focus: 2.6 / 5 (objective at least 4 / 5)
  • Total Work Duration: 3 hours 51 minutes, including 34 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)
Edited by Raphael

03 October 2020

• Wake Up Time: 05:39 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:05 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 09:06 AM - 10:02 AM
    • I fixed some issues, did research on SEO with Angular, and then got interrupted by a call
    • Duration: 56 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 10:22 AM - 11:37 AM
    • I created new components and did some fixes and improvements
    • Duration: 1 hour 15 minutes
  • 11:47 AM - 12:49 AM
    • I tried to install a library to deal with SEO with angular. It's quite messy. I also distracted myself with youtube during this session
    • Duration: 1 hour 2 minutes
  • 03:51 AM - 05:01 AM
    • Trying to setup server-side rendering with Angular is very painful

I didn't felt good today. I didn't sleep a lot therefore I was a little tired and unmotivated during the day.

@Raphael Have a proper day of rest tomorrow and you will do better on Monday. Stay strong, love from your higher self ♥

• Average Focus: 3.37 / 5 (objective at least 4 / 5)
  • Total Work Duration: 4 hours 21 minutes, including 3 hours 27 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)
Edited by Raphael

04 October 2020

• Wake Up Time: 05:41 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:12 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

• 45 minutes of Doing Nothing Before Going To Sleep

Work Sessions:

• No work for today

@Raphael Good, that was a proper day of rest. Try to stay away from screens during off days. Continue :)

• Average Focus: ~ / 5 (objective at least 4 / 5)
  • Total Work Duration: 0 minutes, including 0 minutes of Deep Work (objective 0 minutes)
Edited by Raphael

Weekly Statistics (28 September 2020 - 04 October 2020)

Total Working Hours

29 hours 44 minutes

Average Focus

3.18 / 5

05 October 2020

• Wake Up Time: 05:47 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:27 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Deep Work Sessions:

• 08:33 AM - 09:53 AM
    • It seems like setting up SEO with Angular is going to take more time than expected. I currently have an issue because jQuery is supported on server-side rendering
    • Focus: 3.75 / 5
    • Duration: 1 hour 20 minutes
  • 10:11 AM - 11:52 AM
    • Again setting server-side rendering for SEO with Angular is very painful. I'm getting a huge amount of errors
    • Duration: 1 hour 41 minutes
  • 12:04 AM - 12:52 AM
    • Things are still difficult and painful
    • Duration: 48 minutes
  • 01:50 PM - 02:40 PM
    • Things are still difficult. It seems like I'm getting nowhere
  • 03:06 PM - 04:07 PM
    • I submitted an issue on GitHub and started to do other fixes then got interrupted by my screaming grandma. She was vomiting and shitting at the same time, and said that someone poisoned her.
  • 04:11 PM - 04:46 PM
    • I continued the code replacement. I wasn't that focused because I was listening to Leo at the same time
    • Duration: 35 minutes

It seems like my brain is much clearer when I put my glasses. I avoided putting my glasses for many years, I will put them more in the future.

@Raphael Great job! Continue :)

• Average Focus: 3.29 / 5 (objective at least 4 / 5)
  • Total Work Duration: 6 hours 13 minutes, including 6 hours 13 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)
Edited by Raphael

06 October 2020

• Wake Up Time: 05:54 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:45 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 09:15 AM - 10:04 AM
    • I created a small function, did some analysis, and searched for keywords. I wasn't focused because I was listening to Leo at the same time
    • Duration: 41 minutes
  • 10:28 AM - 10:47 AM
    • I did some analysis and had a talk with my client about SEO. Things are going to be more complicated than I expected
    • Duration: 19 minutes
  • 12:34 AM - 01:10 AM
    • I had a call
    • Duration: 36 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 02:08 PM - 03:13 PM
    • I made some progress in understanding how SEO is managed with Angular. I distracted myself too much
    • Focus: 2.5/5
    • Duration: 1 hour 5 minutes

I really got lazy today. I didn't want to work and distracted myself a lot.

@Raphael Ok. Today's wasn't that great, but that's fine, it happens sometimes. You will do better tomorrow :) Courage!

• Average Focus: 3.125 / 5 (objective at least 4 / 5)
  • Total Work Duration: 2 hours 41 minutes, including 1 hour 5 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)
Edited by Raphael

07 October 2020

• Wake Up Time: 05:53 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:25 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 09:37 AM - 09:59 AM
    • Focus: 4/5
    • Duration: 22 minutes
  • 12:04 AM - 12:12 AM
    • Focus: 4/5
    • Duration: 6 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 09:04 AM - 09:37 AM
    • I did some improvements for the SEO with Angular, then got interrupted
  • 10:18 AM - 11:41 AM
    • I continued the modifications to make the app SEO compatible
    • Duration: 1 hour 23 minutes
  • 11:48 AM - 12:04 AM
    • I continued the modifications to make the app SEO compatible, then got interrupted
    • Duration: 16 minutes
  • 12:14 AM - 12:53 AM
    • I started to manage the carousel with the angular Boostrap library instead of jQuery
    • Focus: 3.5
    • Duration: 39 minutes

@Raphael Congratulations! That's much better than yesterday! When you want it, you can do it! Continue the great work!

• Average Focus: 3.75 / 5 (objective at least 4 / 5)
  • Total Work Duration: 3 hours 20 minutes, including 2 hours 52 minutes of Deep Work (objective 0 minutes)
Edited by Raphael

08 October 2020

• Wake Up Time: 06:51 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)

Deep Work Sessions:

• 10:05 AM - 11:09 AM
    • I did some progress with the jQuery removal from Angular
    • Duration: 1 hour 4 minutes
  • 02:31 PM - 04:00 PM
    • I continued the jQuery removal
  • 04:09 PM - 04:49 PM
    • I continued the jQuery removal
    • Duration: 40 minutes

I didn't sleep well, had trouble getting out of bed, and felt lazy and unmotivated. It looks like I'm sabotaging myself.

@Raphael Difficult emotion arises, people go through them and overcome them. You will overcome these challenges and succeed. Take care ♥️

• Average Focus: 3.17 / 5 (objective at least 4 / 5)
  • Total Work Duration: 3 hours 13 minutes, including 3 hours 13 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)
Edited by Raphael