Ya know

Is it possible to be a star athlete without being orange?

56 posts in this topic

Michael Jordan is arguably the greatest basketballer of all time. It's fair to say he was orange, and used a spartan demeanor for incredible results.

Would it be possible to win in any other way? In the top tier of basketball, being the greatest that has ever been?

Luca Doncic seems a much more mellowed out player who may transcend MJ, but time will tell.

What are your thoughts? Sports is typically ensconced in orange, but are there examples of top tier athletes succeeding in higher paradigms?

I can think of acts of sportsmanship, such as helping a failing opponent over the finishing line embodying green and yellow, but I rarely see dominant players having an aura of compassion and empathy about themselves. 

Being more conscious, developed and loving does not mean being worse at lower stages values. If anything, if you properly integrated the previous stages, you will be even better at those values. You can be an amazing basketballer and be enlightened, there is no contradiction there.

Edited by Thomas_VH

@Thomas_VH I understand that a more developed personality can embody these traits. I suppose a more appropriate question is, what are examples of green or above athletes?

The person them-self can transcend to other stages but if their goal is to succeed individually within the sport they need to focus strictly on orange, to a degree.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking for though? A players career is only just that, their job. It doesn't define them outside of that (mostly). Are you asking for on field examples only?

I guess we could say LeBron James is Orange/Green. People harp on him for not being a "killer" like MJ or Kobe, but that seems to be because LeBron demonstrates he doesn't quite care as much about his individual achievements or how people rank him. While MJ gives off a rather defensive insecure aura about people challenging his GOAT status. Of course a lot of these guys show good sportsmanship and don't throw their teammates under the bus generally, but LeBron plays like more of a stage green player with his passing and leadership style. While players like Kobe have been known to be crude and rag on teammates for not performing to his standard, especially in the 2005-07 seasons when the Lakers dropped off. LeBron played with some REALLY bad teams and I don't think I've ever heard him slip and talk shit about former teammates.

LeBron also seems to be a pretty progressive thinker culturally which indicates green.

hrhrhtewgfegege

@Roy I'm asking if it's possible for them to be great, without resorting to lower levels of thinking, I.E Orange.

Does someone who works on themselves spiritually to progress to yellow, green levels have to regress in order to compete?

@Ya know A stage yellow competitor could be great if he'd realize the importance of work ethic and how that sport will dominate your everyday life.

It can be quite challenging to go up against orange in competition because that's their main advantage. Yellow will realize that this might not be worth selling your soul for. 

Most of the stage orange athletes are great because they are chasing something as if their life depends upon it.

Yellow realizes life is bigger than sports.

Edited by fridjonk

@fridjonk True. For a long time I chased sporting accolades in a game I grew tired of.

Part of me thinks there is a level beyond orange narrow mindedness. I believe there's so much untapped potential of the mind in sport, and awakening can contribute to it. If someone can completely let go of their desire to be something, they can be anything.

So much of what is shown to us as ''achievement'' is little more than intense pressure, neuroticism, anxiety and fear. I wonder if you asked athletes how much of them play to win (fun), rather than not to lose what the answer would be. Especially with social media nitpicking every single mistake.

Also the dogmatism associated with orange. If you can get to yellow and truly begin synthesizing information, letting go, becoming present to the moment and applying a variety of unorthodox skills and unique training methods - I think there can be genuine evolution's in games.

@fridjonk Also I think there can be a ''less is more effect''. People training smarter without having to clock in absurd hours, achieving skills in half the time. Working smarter not harder, 80/20.

There's that Tony Robbins story in Unlimited Power where he gets soldiers to model the best shooters, bringing the target closer to their face. He has some unusual success rate in a previously difficult test. That's an example of a stage yellow teaching orange.

I think grassroots sport has become infected with orange tier thinking, and is in desperate need for change. People driven by fear, despising failure and becoming emotionally attached to outcome. The more I think about it, the more I want to be the change it needs.

Also, so much of it is utterly meaningless, truly. People place this simulacrum over their perception. People aren't even seeing what they think they are seeing, and become so immersed in the idea of what it is they think they see. Completely identified with their mind, incapable of seeing something different. 

@Ya know You could, but the question is, why would you want to?

In the end, out of all the potential things there are to do in this world, are you seriously going to devote your whole life to being good a throwing or hitting a ball?

Do you see how shallow that is in the grande scheme of things? Once you see that -- which takes some higher consciousness -- then you're not likely to get seduced by that illusion.

But, of course, you're free to do as you like. I'm just explaining why you're not going to find a lot of highly conscious people in sports. Sports is an industry designed for cavemen, not sages.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

13 minutes ago, Ya know said:

''less is more effect''. People training smarter without having to clock in absurd hours, achieving skills in half the time. Working smarter not harder, 80/20.

I don't think that would fly, especially with ball-sports, like basketball or soccer. They already train as smart as possible, with insane hours put in. And that's the thing that separates the greatest from the normies. They have thousands upon thousands of hours clocked in the gym, doing the same movement over and over again to the point of perfection. Team chemistry seems to be the only way left to improve the game. 

But I agree with the 80/20 for more of mental sports, like shooting or business. 

23 minutes ago, Ya know said:

Part of me thinks there is a level beyond orange narrow mindedness. I believe there's so much untapped potential of the mind in sport, and awakening can contribute to it. If someone can completely let go of their desire to be something, they can be anything.

I'm sure once humanity reaches stage turquoise, sports will become obsolete. Because they'd realize every time you win a game, you also lost it, because everything is one. ;)

23 minutes ago, Meta-Man said:

Strong display of bias. So you probably grew up without sports.

Sport is art. I’m surprised you haven’t realized yet at this stage. Take away the competitiveness and it is pure art and joy. The best athletes put on their greatest display when they lose themselves in the joy of the activity. What’s the difference between that and dedicating ones life to music? Whats the difference between Ronaldinho and Mozart? Only different modes of expression. But maybe you condemn other artists the same way, I don’t know. Just a heads up on the bias.

Here’s some pure artistry for you

You can find some artistry in sports. But that's not what the professional sports industry is designed to cater to. It is a business built on tribalism.

Like I said, you are free to do sports. I was merely explaining why you won't find a lot of high consciousness people in sports. That is all.

You can turn rapid hot-dog eating into an art and compare it to Mozart. But don't be surprised when you don't find the highest grade of consciousness in your colleagues. And don't be surprised when it wrecks your body and you can't do it any more.

A display of mastery is a rather Orange level thing. A true master doesn't need to strut around like a cock.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

48 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@Ya know You could, but the question is, why would you want to?

In the end, out of all the potential things there are to do in this world, are you seriously going to devote your whole life to being good a throwing or hitting a ball?

Do you see how shallow that is in the grande scheme of things? Once you see that -- which takes some higher consciousness -- then you're not likely to get seduced by that illusion.

But, of course, you're free to do as you like. I'm just explaining why you're not going to find a lot of highly conscious people in sports. Sports is an industry designed for cavemen, not sages.

I love basketball Leo. It has helped me in some dark times in my life. Shooting by myself is incredibly therapeutic and meditative. 

I completed the life purpose course and I came out with "improving the lives of others with knowledge". I feel strongly about helping young athletes understand more about the world, and using basketball as a method seems noble. 

And like another poster mentioned, you rarely encounter highly conscious people in most domains. I don't think business corporations are much better. As you said, the same values are intertwined with sports.

Can something truly be shallow leo? I think there is immense depth to the game. Like you say, life is infinite fractals. The same is true for the game. It is an organism that is forever evolving. There are always new depths.

As Virgil says, "from one learn all"

@Ya know I bet I'd beat you in 1 on 1, or beat myself so to speak ;)xD

Edited by fridjonk

@fridjonk Haha, would be cool if our astral projections could battle it out. I'm a beast in the paint though. 

@Meta-Man All higher consciousness jobs are about increasing people’s consciousness in some way. Impacting and changing people. I don’t see how an athlete could do that.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie