Ampresus

This sad and empty feeling after watching a great series

13 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

Recently I finished what is in my opinion the best series on earth. However, besides that this is the second time I have finished it, I have this empty and sad feeling. I miss watching that show now. I miss the characters, the fun, the plot. I am sad because I’ve already seen it.

This might sound irrational for some people, but this also effects me in other ways. I have no motivation to do anything at all. Be it making homework, talking with family or friends online or working on something. I don’t experience joy anymore. I feel depressed.

Didn’t really know where to put this. I think the “Serious Emotional Problems” sub-forum isn’t meant for these types of posts.

I am posting this because it also brings back older thoughts and emotions about ending my life. I keep having the idea of just ending it. I will no longer experience that kind of legendary bliss again, and currently with quarantine I’m stuck with tons of homework and school assignments. I hate my teachers. Everything seems so depressing and sad compared to the joy I had watching that series.

Maybe I went a bit off-topic there, but I hope someone can help me. I am currently focussing on meditation to help my mind calm down.

Depression is caused by creating a negative future. Watch Peter Ralston’s video for that.

Pretty much everyone on earth feels that sense of emptiness. It could be said that’s why the spiritual path is taken. No circumstance will ultimately satisfy anyone.

So start creating a positive future for you, maybe take the life purpose course, and pursue Truth, liberation.

This is  the danger of escapism. Our reality is boring so we immerse orselves into series or mmorpgs. The characters become like our family and friends, because although they arent real the mind doesnt make disctintions, the purpose of the main character becomes your purpose, and when the show finishes this alternative dream you're living collapses. Ive been there too.

Fill the void with another hobby.

Edited by Moreira

Just sit.

Enjoy your beingness.

Can you see that all there is, is you? Right now?

Take a deep breath, slowly.

Acknowledge that there is no past, no future.

When that series made you happy, the happyness came from inside of you.

You dont need anything right now.

This moment has everything.

Everything is perfect as it is.

This is reality, wake up.

Can you feel the love that runs through everything?

Including you.

Can you see the unlimited potential in you?

Take a look.

"The Void"

In my childhood, I used to feel this void whenever some friend would leave my house (when we were playing together), or whenever I would leave a friend's house. As I grew up this void continued to appear, but then usually when coming back from very intense festivals or college events with lots of friends and girls. Recently, I feel this feeling whenever I think of myself as not having a girlfriend (I haven't had one for a long time now), and by feeling like there is something wrong with me because of this (feeling different from other people). I can also link it to not being as close to my parents, emotionally speaking, as I would like to. I have felt this so much throughout my life that I even coined a name for it in my personal notes: "The Void". It is interesting that just by writing this I realize that my greatest moments of fun were when I was accompanied, even though I find myself someone who can live alone easier than most people.

Root cause of addiction = Fear of emptiness (Overcoming Addiction - The Root Cause Of Every Addiction)

Another thing to keep in mind is that trying to avoid this void may cause addiction. I think of addiction as not something black or white, but rather a spectrum. There are less healthy addictions (e.g., heavy drugs) and more healthy addictions (e.g., friends, relationships, goals, etc.). Despite of that, they are still addictions, in the sense that we are using them to fill our existential emptiness. The ultimate solution, therefore, is to face it head-on, by opening ourselves up and embracing it (meditation -- you're already doing it, just keep in mind that it takes time --, enlightenment, etc.).

An alternative, valid solution

An alternative, which will not eliminate the void completely but that is still totally valid, is to move oneself up in this spectrum. Adopt healthy eating habits, training habits, healthy relationships (interdependence), healthy movies/documentaries (e.g., videos about personal development), healthy things you like to do, etc. Create long-term goals for your life and start implementing them now, even if by tiny steps. Even if you are stuck with school, bad teachers, or related, having these long-term goals will help, because they are a plan for you to eventually reach a place you'll like to be. And when you can move towards them, even if a tiny bit, you'll start feeling a bit of the good feelings now (remember that life is about the journey; not the final destination, but who you become on the way there). Implementing these healthy habits and goals will make the void, when it comes, less and less intense, and your everyday life a lot more motivated.

In sum, this void is a natural thing that we all feel. You may feel it stronger since you are not enthusiastic at all with your future, as others previously mentioned. I think the Life Purpose course could really help, as it is helping me a lot. There are many nuances and subtleties about what is taught there, so you have to really open your mind (and, most importantly, your heart) when taking it. Cheers!

The ego is never satisfied, you always wants more! 

And when there is no more, you suffer. 

“The psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight.”

3 hours ago, Lena89 said:

@SamueLSD Well said! :) 

:D 

“The psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight.”

I know what you mean to an extent. I often dread the end of a series. Sometimes we invest a lot in the stories and the people we are watching.

I find it's a sign i'm out of balance and aren't engaged enough in other areas of life. That's it.

@Ampresus hi how are you ?

This is a very good time for you to think about your future..

See you got to be joining the workforce one day and have to be earning your living.

But to earn more money you for to be giving value to the word less value is less salary. 

How will you do it ? How will you provide value ? I hope you realize that doing something you love and providing value will keep you in a better situation than doing something you don't love.. 

So think about what that dream job is going to be.. think about the what are your favourite subjects, think about your values and strengths.. having a vision of the future can help you finish all your homework and assignments as you will have perspective and will know that to reach somewhere you got to handle what you have at hand now..

All the best man hope you use this time effectively.

Having a sense of purpose in school/college can be really powerful.

Would you share with me which is that movie, i may watch it :D

To the point.. I know what are you feeling, ive been there and for me it happened when i watched The Vampire Diaries. I was feeling the characters as my  family and friends. The world there was so magical and beautiful and our world was so  boring and mundane. 

So because of that i decided to stop wathcing movies and series and decided to make my life interesting instead. 

Right now i allow myself to watch movies only with educational purpose, in my case is because i want to train my english skills by watching it.

On 21-4-2020 at 1:20 PM, Kiko said:

Would you share with me which is that movie, i may watch it :D

I'll save you the trouble if you won't mind.

On 21-4-2020 at 1:20 PM, Kiko said:

To the point.. I know what are you feeling, ive been there and for me it happened when i watched The Vampire Diaries. I was feeling the characters as my  family and friends. The world there was so magical and beautiful and our world was so  boring and mundane. 

I had this with TVD as well yes.