Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
from chaos into self

thoughts and self

4 posts in this topic

look there is merit to differentiating thoughts from awareness and self from noself, but they are one and the same nonetheless. to be aware of something is to hold it in your thoughts. thoughts can be subtle like that. awareness alone is still thought. it is healthier thought but it is still holding thoughts. contemplation.

and you may have experienced ego death, but your self still remains. it is there even if you don't claim it. and anyway, noself is nothing but one way of having self. your body is self. your possessions are self. your likes and dislikes are self.

before enlightenment, chop wood carry water. after enlightenment, chop wood carry water. this is still true of thoughts and self. they don't go away just because you've enlightened. It's just different.

if you want truer noself, become aware of nothing. yet even then, self remains.

2 hours ago, from chaos into self said:

look there is merit to differentiating thoughts from awareness and self from noself, but they are one and the same nonetheless. to be aware of something is to hold it in your thoughts. thoughts can be subtle like that. awareness alone is still thought. it is healthier thought but it is still holding thoughts. contemplation.

and you may have experienced ego death, but your self still remains. it is there even if you don't claim it. and anyway, noself is nothing but one way of having self. your body is self. your possessions are self. your likes and dislikes are self.

before enlightenment, chop wood carry water. after enlightenment, chop wood carry water. this is still true of thoughts and self. they don't go away just because you've enlightened. It's just different.

if you want truer noself, become aware of nothing. yet even then, self remains.

My understanding is that you are not thoughts...you experience inward thoughts and you create outward thoughts.You can prove that you are not a thought by meditating on the GAP that exists between thoughts.When you do your meditations...rather the focussing on the thoughts turn your attention to the GAP between your thoughts.Embrace the SILENCE within the GAP more and more  .You need to create this space/division...you will then come into an  awareness that you are indeed separate from your thoughts.You will then be able to distinguish between inward/outward thoughts.

@Prevailer 

I like what you said about the gap between thoughts. But I don't get why people in nonduality say that you are not your thoughts... I get it as a perspective to distance onself from self criticism and see the consistency of self-acceptance. But your thoughts are as you as your body and your car and possessions are... perhaps they are an expression and in that sense "not you" but nonetheless you are your thoughts and your feelings. Everything about you composes who you are. . . 

But I seem to have different perspective on metaphysics than most people here :) it's interesting! 

8 hours ago, from chaos into self said:

@Prevailer 

I like what you said about the gap between thoughts. But I don't get why people in nonduality say that you are not your thoughts... I get it as a perspective to distance onself from self criticism and see the consistency of self-acceptance. But your thoughts are as you as your body and your car and possessions are... perhaps they are an expression and in that sense "not you" but nonetheless you are your thoughts and your feelings. Everything about you composes who you are. . . 

But I seem to have different perspective on metaphysics than most people here :) it's interesting! 

I understand why you say what you say but can I put some exciting ideas to you.If you stay within the duality mindset only then you will remain in the robotic mind set.The inward thoughts that come into your head can be good;bad;indifferent and are sent to us via our 2 off brain computers.These are different types of thoughts to outward thoughts which are generated by you consciously (in the united consciousness state) or subconsciously (in the split consciousness state) .Our consciousness state does get split if we disappear into our head.We need to come out of our head as well into the UNITED consciousness in the moment state.If we are  Robots then a thought is just data and should have no impact on our emotions whatsoever.The practical reality is that thoughts do have an impact on us and so there is more going on than meets the carnal eye.As I have said in previous posts....imagine a circle...split the circle in half and then put yourself in just one half of the circle and split your being again.....then completely deny to yourself that the other half exists...this is your present mindset/belief system if you don’t mind me saying.As I have said to Leo...for neutrality to work you have to accept the possibility that a God exists that is separate to you as well.You can play the part of the devil if you wish.The reason I have given you the GAP concept is to try and explain that you need to see your self as separate from thoughts.You will then get some perspective of the... i am.You have to think 3 part being not 2 part robotic being.Well you don’t have to...but...I got nowhere with the the 2 part being.