Patrick_9931

Perusing enlightenment at 19?

20 posts in this topic

So I’m 19 years old and I’m really concerned with perusing enlightenment:I’ve watched a lot of videos , already had about 5 trips  with lsd and mushrooms and my intention is to have at least 50 trips going every time deeper at each trip, I also meditate 1h a day. In the meantime I’m also trying to discover my life purpose by reading books and following Leo’s life purpose course.

Sow my core reasoning for doing all this work is that what else is there to do if not perusing enlightenment? And I think that sooner you start better it is.

What do you think about that ? Am I doing the right choice ? Am I to young for that stuff? Could I fall in to some traps doing like that ? Thank you for your answers

(Sorry for my bad English i still have to learn it well)

There's is no right or wrong. If it feels right then continue, if not then take a break. There are lots of traps you can fall into, and you will probably fall into a bunch of them, that's what happened here at least. One thing I would recommend to my younger self is to take it easy, don't be so obsessed with the search for enlightenment that it consumes every experience you have. When I was first getting seriously into this stuff I was constantly questioning what was happening, and if "I" was in the "right" consciousness or awareness, sort of arguing with reality. This was a deep trap for me. I could never just let things be as they were. The search enhanced my conflicting ego to a point were I was ungrounded and disconnected from my surroundings. 

Also take it easy with the psychedelics imo. They can be life changing, but that's because they can be life destroying. Trips and mystical experiences can be mind-blowing and blissful, but they can leave you searching endlessly for that same experience, which is a trap. The ego can create a story about  the mystical "state" and that will make anything that is not that "state" feel even more unfulfilling. Story: I had an awakening once where it was very clear that this was it and has always been it, there is nothing wrong because there is no one here for anything to be wrong. One of the main insights was; even if my ego returned it wouldn't matter, because I am whole already, there is nothing that can makes this be other than it is, it can only appear as such. I was certain that this insight wouldn't be forgotten, it was crystal clear. Then 30 minutes later the ego "came back" and said I don't want this, I want whatever that other state was, the THIS this. The thoughts were believed and then I took the train back to egoland, where the insights "this is it" "there is no one and no problem" means nada. 

Edited by traveler

I'm trying to actualize and I am 17, I first did LSD at 14.

Age does not matter.

“The psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight.”

@Patrick_9931 Most people should probably focus on building up a decent life for yourself: career, life purpose, education, skills, business, money, relationships, family, health, nutrition, house, hobbies, etc.

Pretty much everyone needs those things unless you are going to become a full-time monk.

So it's a question of whether you want to be a householder or a monk. There's no right answer. It's all about what you want.

At an age so young, you've got plenty of time to build up a decent life for yourself (over the next 10 years let's say) and then you can abandon it later if you want to go hardcore monk. Or you can have that householder life established and waiting for you after you return from your spiritual quest.

Becoming a monk at 19 is too extreme for most people. That would only be if you know for sure that your destiny is to be a full-time hardcore Buddha. But it even took The Buddha til 27 to leave his household and till 30-something to reach enlightenment.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Great response, agree 100% with that. 

I feel some people want to dive in at the deep end in their first swimming lesson, which is fine, just be prepared for a few times where you almost drown. 

As you mentioned, even post awakening these things have their relative importance, unless you plan to become a monk or hermit, which I suspect not that many on here do. 

Out of curiosity do you plan to teach on any of those things you listed above?

I was speaking to someone the other day, it’s going to be fun when the first/ more truly awakened nutritionists, bodybuilders, money coaches, businessmen, school teachers, interior designers, athletes etc start popping up everywhere. 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

23 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Most people should probably focus on building up a decent life for yourself: career, life purpose, education, skills, business, money, relationships, health, nutrition, house, hobbies, etc.

This at least my plan. This is why i stoped perusing enlightenment. I'm gone focus on build my life purpose and do hard core pick up when the corona-19 is over. 

Edited by Peo
grammer

Also realize that "normal life" and enlightenment aren't contradictory. You don't have to become a monk to become enlightened. Enlightenment encompasses all life, it's not just about meditation. Chop wood, carry water. You don't have to choose. In fact, you can start building your life (like Leo said), but in a conscious way. Try to make conscious choices. Your awareness will naturally rise higher and higher.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

@Patrick_9931 Most people should probably focus on building up a decent life for yourself: career, life purpose, education, skills, business, money, relationships, family, health, nutrition, house, hobbies, etc.

Pretty much everyone needs those things unless you are going to become a full-time monk.

So it's a question of whether you want to be a householder or a monk. There's no right answer. It's all about what you want.

At an age so young, you've got plenty of time to build up a decent life for yourself (over the next 10 years let's say) and then you can abandon it later if you want to go hardcore monk. Or you can have that householder life established and waiting for you after you return from your spiritual quest.

Becoming a monk at 19 is too extreme for most people. That would only be if you know for sure that your destiny is to be a full-time hardcore Buddha. But it even took The Buddha til 27 to leave his household and till 30-something to reach enlightenment.

Inspiring ❤️

All of your life you have been told that God created you. God come now to tell you this:  You are creating God❤️

@Pallero Well said also!!!

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

@Patrick_9931 keep at it while your mind is still developing. The older you get the more programming and baggage you acumilate. Just dont forget to build a foundation for your future as well start a career but never stop your practice!.

I'm 20 years old and have lived as a monk for a year and alot of the elder monks told me that I was lucky to have started at the age I did while the mind is still receptive. 

Follow your heart, there's no right or wrong answer, just what really resonates within.

I've got a very different perspective to the other posters.

9 hours ago, Patrick_9931 said:

So I’m 19 years old and I’m really concerned with perusing enlightenment:I’ve watched a lot of videos , already had about 5 trips  with lsd and mushrooms and my intention is to have at least 50 trips going every time deeper at each trip, I also meditate 1h a day. In the meantime I’m also trying to discover my life purpose by reading books and following Leo’s life purpose course.

Maybe inspect why you want enlightenment? What is it about enlightenment that you love? Spend a few days on it. For a lot of people, their beliefs about enlightenment reflect something totally different to enlightenment itself, something insightful and powerful.

Sow my core reasoning for doing all this work is that what else is there to do if not perusing enlightenment? And I think that sooner you start better it is.

Yep that's good reasoning, but what's 'under' the reasoning? Where is the reasoning sprouting from? What's the source of that reasoning?

What do you think about that ? Am I doing the right choice ? Am I to young for that stuff? Could I fall in to some traps doing like that ? Thank you for your answers

It really, seriously doesn't matter in the end... if you can stomach that so early on the path.

(Sorry for my bad English i still have to learn it well)

Not bad

What enlightenment is truly about, is not the ideas, enthusiasm and fantasies about it. Although it seems that way at the beginning. Its really about appreciating what's already going on. And on that note, what's already going on is work, career, relationships, money, family, etc. 

Instead of shooting for your ideas of enlightenment, maybe shoot for the source of where the ideas are coming from.

I was in the same shoes as you at your age. Now I'm 22, and I've come to realize that I'm actually not ready. I'm not ready to die, to give up my life to God. I still have things I would like to do, and I'm not developed as a person. Nothing wrong with a meditation habit, but don't be surprised if you suddenly start dying while sitting in a lecture or something. If you're not ready for it, it can become a burden if it comes uninvited.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

13 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Let's say that you want to go more on the hardcore monk side after 30. What would be conscious ways to enough money to live a decent lifestyle for the other part of your life? Since it they have to be a lot and illegal stuff might not be the best ;P 

Thank you in advance

@Smiles Sometimes it's hard to construct a life when you're trying to deconstruct it at the same time.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Smiles You can do both, but usually one will take the front seat so to speak. 

For example, there will likely be a period when you're a hardcore seeker that 'The Work' takes your primary focus so maybe your career and relationship don't grow like you'd want them to. 

But then say post-awakening, you are freed from seeking, and therefore free to express this understanding in all areas of life and can actually 'merge' the two by 'improving' your life Consciously in terms of career, health, finances, relationship etc, but while you can still learn from typical Self-Help teachers you'd likely add your own flavor and depth to make them more in line with your own understanding. 

One thing many Non-Dual 'students' forget is that we still need to embrace our humanity, and Human work never ends until we drop the body. However, it can vary, some may want to go and sit in an Ashram and meditate for the rest of their days, whereas, some will want to delve deeper than ever in their career and have a family. It's absolute freedom, and absolutely it makes no difference whatsoever, just follow your heart. 

And, awesome man, society changes one individual at a time, and it sounds so cliche and corny but it does feel there's some kind of collective awakening going on, I mean you didn't have Non-Duality teachers on every corner even 10-15 years ago, now YT is flooded with them, these sorts of forums were a lot rarer as well, it seems humanity is starting to wake up!

@Carl-Richard  Exactly, as a seeker it can be hard to 'combine' the two, but often, post-awakening, this confusion is cleared and life can be 'built' on a whole new paradigm that is aligned with Truth, Love and Happiness. It's beautiful. 

@Patrick_9931 Have you gone on a meditation retreat? I know you didn't mention becoming a monk but spending some time in a retreat is a great way to demolish all your fantasies about what will happen if you pursue enlightenment.

I'm in a similar situation to you. Thanks for sharing!

@Leo Gura Well put. Very helpful. Thanks

I’m 24 and wondering the same..started the path when I was 20.

I’m trying to combine the practices in my daily life while keep focusing on my career etc..

It helps me a lot so I don’t think it’s a black or white answer. Life in general is about knowing how to keep the balance.

Hope I could help?