The Don

ADHD is a serious issue on the self-actualization path.

34 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Chumbimba said:

@Javfly33 I have been diagnosed since the second grade. Its really crippling to the point where I feel really dumb most of the time. 

@Chumbimba Have you tried Kratom? I mean it's still a drug but it's way more safer than ADHD meds and I've seen there are plenty of people that use it successfully to treat their ADHD.

More over, if Kratom helps you with your adhd, you can be sure your adhd regardless what doctors might say, it's entirely psychological. 

Btw if you rock it while on meds, obviously you are not dumb bro, (not that I would measure intelligence in academic environments ever tbh)

@Javfly33 I know deep down I am very intelligent but my focus is terrible. I am currently double majoring in psychology and software engineering. Off medicine I have terrible brain fog, sexual cravings that distract me, thoughts about failure etc. while on medicine all my wisdom and genius comes up and I am super effective. I just sat and did math for 6 hours. @kieranperez I feel you that it won’t last an I know you say let go of the need to get rid of ADHD but my lack of focus is really bad. I have jittery all the time and can’t even do my job properly. I had a very traumatic childhood with physical and verbal abuse. Also academic traumas like failing classes, graduating high school in 5 years instead of 4. I know academics don’t judge intelligence, but lately I have so in my head with consciousness, enlightenment and spirituality. It’s nice to do something more practical for once 

56 minutes ago, Chumbimba said:

@kieranperez I feel you that it won’t last an I know you say let go of the need to get rid of ADHD but my lack of focus is really bad. I have jittery all the time and can’t even do my job properly. I had a very traumatic childhood with physical and verbal abuse. Also academic traumas like failing classes, graduating high school in 5 years instead of 4. I know academics don’t judge intelligence, but lately I have so in my head with consciousness, enlightenment and spirituality. It’s nice to do something more practical for once 

I’m not telling you you should do anything. You’re going to do what you want and that’s up to you. 

As far as your conditions... yeah welcome to the club my friend lol. Do you think you’re alone in that? I used to shake an entire classroom with my foot shaking, got made fun of for meds, special ed, failed school despite being smart and dropped out of college, etc. That’s part of life. This is the hand your dealt with and I can appreciate the struggle with that. It’s fucking hard when the entire societal system doesn’t accommodate people like us. I dealt with being suicidal throughout my teenage years while dealing with dealing with a crumbling family and watched my mom attempt suicidal weekly for about a decade and until my family collapsed. That’s part of life and First Noble Truth in Buddhism (Dukkha): life is suffering. And I can tell you from personal experience that I wasted years of my life having a pity party that got me nowhere. 

The reality is you don’t have to do anything about this. I’m telling you this is something that you can take on if you want to. I’ve had psychosomatic trauma in my chest where I can’t breathe and I was trying to meditate and I spent YEARS trying to find ways to sit down while having all of my stories about why I can’t... Until I met the Zen master that I referenced in my first comment and that shut all of my excuses up. I’m telling you that this is something I think you can address if you want to. I don’t care what you do. Maybe your meds will work out. My bet is that they won’t as I’ve yet to see a case even outside myself that it does work. Traumas are fixable... if you want to fix them and I want to invite you to see that your rationalizations on your story (which I’m not dismissing at all) communicates that you don’t want to do the work towards the solution you say you want. I’m telling you that you from personal experience right now, having adhd, that you don't need to not have adhd to have an enlightenment experience. Anyone who tells you otherwise is full of shit. I have other friends who are conscious of their true nature and have had it worse than me (and I haven’t met many that have had worse adhd cases than me). Leonardo da Vinci was enlightened and that dude had ADHD as the case with many others and the more conscious “you become”, the more you’ll be able to deal with the root of this issue most likely.

Take what you will from this and I invite you to take responsibility and be honest with yourself on this because this can be turned around (I think - maybe I’m wrong). 

All the best. Done with this thread. 

Take care all of you. 

I have ADHD myself. The best book I've read on it has been Finally Focused: The Breakthrough Natural Treatment Plan for ADHD That Restores Attention, Minimizes Hyperactivity, and Helps Eliminate Drug Side Effects. 

• Try different supplements/nootropics
  • Exercise/Get high-quality sleep
  • Eat a healthy diet
  • Do concentration exercises daily (stare at a candle for x amount of minutes)
  • Meditate daily
  • Try out kriya yoga for 6 months. 
  • Do Neurofeedback
Edited by Austin Actualizing

I just got Scattered Minds by Gabor Mate, I also suffer from ADD.

That book may be useful.

Edited by Arzola

10 hours ago, Chumbimba said:

@Javfly33 I know deep down I am very intelligent but my focus is terrible. I am currently double majoring in psychology and software engineering. Off medicine I have terrible brain fog, sexual cravings that distract me, thoughts about failure etc. while on medicine all my wisdom and genius comes up and I am super effective. I just sat and did math for 6 hours. @kieranperez I feel you that it won’t last an I know you say let go of the need to get rid of ADHD but my lack of focus is really bad. I have jittery all the time and can’t even do my job properly. I had a very traumatic childhood with physical and verbal abuse. Also academic traumas like failing classes, graduating high school in 5 years instead of 4. I know academics don’t judge intelligence, but lately I have so in my head with consciousness, enlightenment and spirituality. It’s nice to do something more practical for once 

@Chumbimba Yeah, with the description you said it´s pretty clear your ADHD is absolutely psychological. There´s nothing wrong with your brain, you "just" have to do a shit ton of shadow work and healing in the inside.

I myself do programming and I have the EXACT same "symptons" LOTS of time. Probably in less intensity? I guess so, but the symptons are the same. The fact is i am aware enough to see the symptons are just my monkey mind telling me "stuff". Then sure I can pop an adderall and my ADHD will "dissapear", it wasn´t ADHD it was just that the drugs shuts your monkey mind off, so you can work. 

Basically when you sit front of a computer or study book your monkey mind is telling you 100 negative thoughts per minute. This creates feelings of anxiety, inadecuacy, overwhelming, and of course, it ends up creating jittery. ITS ALL IN YOUR HEAD! I´m actually amazed medicine has called this "ADHD"!. Maybe there are real ADHD but those symptons I have felt them myself too when putting myself to study and its absolutely my bullshit. It looks medicine will create all sort of diseases to avoid the fact that brains are not the responsible for our suffering. We are. (but do not understand this in a negative way lol, more in positive not-deterministic way in regards to the brain)

Do you what you have to do, some times using some drugs are necessary if you are finisihing some work or something like that, but do not self-deceive yourself more.

Get rid of ADHD will mean working a lot in your traumas, shadows, healing...I think you should start slowly, it will take a shitton of work. It doesn´t get more obvious than that. You won´t cure adhd by meds because as I say meds doesn´t have in fact nothing to do with adhd they just shut your mind off that proves ADHD was just the result of your monkey mind. That´s what you have to fix.

Edited by Javfly33

10 hours ago, Austin Actualizing said:

I have ADHD myself. The best book I've read on it has been Finally Focused: The Breakthrough Natural Treatment Plan for ADHD That Restores Attention, Minimizes Hyperactivity, and Helps Eliminate Drug Side Effects. 

• Eat a healthy diet
  • Meditate daily
  • Do Neurofeedback

Thank you!

Could you please give me the book in a .PDF format? Do you have that book in a .PDF format? I would like to read it as soon as possible.

On the other hand, when I struggle to memorize something, I do it by force. I keep studying anyway, despite the fact that I can't concentrate well. It's so hard man. I can't even describe it. I feel like my head is exploding. Sometimes I get headaches.

I also have a low fever when I force myself to study. It's an inner feeling of profound resistance. People who don't have ADHD have no idea what I'm talking about.

It's not that it's hard to study. I believe it is. But when you have ADHD, it's almost impossible.

So as we have ADHD, how can we become as good as @Leo Gura when it comes to articulating understanding?

I keep asking myself when I'll be able to be as good as Leo on articulating understanding?

I have a profound wish to become good at articulating understanding and as I'm working hard to achieve it, when I try to talk in front of a camera, I get a feeling of discouragement. It feels like I've achieved nothing, despite my 10x effort.

People don't understand what it feels like to have ADHD. They think we are lazy. But in fact, we work 10 times harder than people without ADHD. The problem is that when we try to articulate our work and understanding, we feel blocked.

How can we achieve success while having ADHD? It's almost impossible. Sometimes I want to shoot myself. For real.

I have an insight into ADHD. All people that have ADHD grew up in extremely stressful environments. As a result, the limbic system and the amygdala, these parts of the brain developed much faster and the prefrontal cortex did not develop well. That's why we can not think and write well.

What bothers me is that people keep accusing me of laziness. I'm not. I just want to be successful, that's all. I care about success but not for myself. I just want to have a life purpose and become a better person in order to help others.

Have you ever been in my position?

Me on the road less traveled.

@The Don I feel you on a spiritual level. I hate it. I am far from lazy and I am really smart. It feels when I am not on Medication that a pile of bricks are on my head all the time, I have jittery energy in my solar plaexus area and I cant sit still. I want to be successful with my Life Purpose too and some days I have 0 hope. I also have been suicidal, but ever since I have taken the medicine I have been feeling 100 times better

On 3/31/2020 at 11:19 PM, Austin Actualizing said:

• Eat a healthy diet
  • Meditate daily
  • Do Neurofeedback

I second this! I'd add journaling, and exercises like morning pages and Bullet Journals

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Edan I did 30 sessions of Neurofeedback and it didn't help me. I'm not willing to give it up. I will try it again with another practitioner eventually.

@Austin Actualizing i think I've heard somewhere that it only works 80%-90% of the times, don't know the reason though. Anyway, good luck!

This thread reminds me of the book : Psychology of Mans evolution by PD ouspensky

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

On 2020-03-29 at 10:21 PM, IJB063 said:

@The Don Hey Buddy,

I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 15, I think there is a lot of studies showing that diagnosing for ADHD is wrong

It seems to me that ADHD is in many ways is just the medicationalisation of boredom - just look at the definition given by the American Psychological Association - ADHD is 

"The constant search for stimulation, restlessness, sensation seeking behaviour, fidgeting, difficulty maintaining attention and the inability to concentrate on anything that requires sustained effort"

Its generally just an excuse to drug misbehaving boys in school with stimulants like zoo animals - to make it easier for teachers and the schools

Here is an interesting video on the topic - Push through the gag and the start, it just goes on for about a minute

My first post on this forum is similar to your post actually

I think the cure for boredom is something that actually interests you and dopamine detox's 

Just a dopamine detox a few trys

Note -Look into Simon Baron Cohen's work (Sasha Baron Cohens cousin or brother I think)

ADHD is NOT just a medicalisation of boredom in a similar way that autism is not just a medicalisation of quirky and socially awkward kids. I worry that you're trivializing the serious problems many people with adhd have if we talk about it as just boredom. talking about it like that makes it seem like it's something trivial and not a real and serious problem for which treatment can be helpful. but it is very much a real and serious problem. 

we can see that the brain of people with adhd looks meaningfully different compared to people who don't have adhd. and to mention some of the problems, people with adhd tend to struggle a lot with friendships and relationships, on average they are undereducated because they struggle with academics, they are overrepresented in car accidents, drug and alcohol abuse, and perhaps the main thing they struggle with is sustaining their effort towards reaching their goals, which is a huge problem because trying to reach our goals is basically the game we're playing here in life, and people with adhd tend to suck at it. 

the experts say medication helps a lot in most cases. and treatment that doesn't involve medication is largely ineffective. when we say things that contradict what i'm saying here we risk making it harder for people with adhd to get the treatment that actually significantly helps those who really struggle in life with all the difficulties that adhd entails.

or maybe it is meaningfully treatable without adhd meds, but not known among those we’d consider experts. like maybe it’s treatable with like heavy metal cleansing or whatever, but unless there is something like that, then please don’t go around acting like adhd is not real and that meds aren’t an essential and important thing for those who really struggle with adhd. that can be harmful.

Edited by High-valance
needed to add something