whatthefucksgoinon

Alcohol and spiritual practice

7 posts in this topic

Hi I was just wondering on peoples experiences with alcohol and if it has had any negative impact on their spiritual life. Is it ok to have the occasional drink Or should one avoid it completely? 

Wine sometimes. Half of family dalmatians so it's normal. ?☺️

Red wine. 

Edited by zeroISinfinity

Being zealous about removing things 100% from your life can be a trap and a form of neuroticism. An enemy of true authenticity.

Is having a few drinks on your birthday or Christmas going to  shatter your spiritual practices?

The answer to that is probably no.

If it does, well you have some other problems to worry about.

hrhrhtewgfegege

If you’re drinking every night you probs won’t feel great very often, and your body won’t thank you much. 

If you’re drinking here and there as a celebration, why not enjoy yourself? 

If you’re drinking as an escape and way to avoid what you’re feeling and whatever else, it’s coming from a sense of lack.

But, this doesn’t only apply to alcohol- TV, Movies, Sex, Video Games, a lot of other activities.

Are you doing them to escape how you feel and from a sense of lack. Or, are you doing them as a means to express happiness, have some fun and enjoy life. 

That’s what makes all the difference. 

Here’s a response from Francis Lucille regarding impersonal desire on this matter: 

The wanting itself comes from the ego. Is this correct? Or is enlightenment, in fact, a way to manifest one’s worldly desires?

Ignorance is the problem, not the ego. Our wanting comes from ignorance when we believe that our happiness depends on its fulfillment.

Example of desire that comes from ignorance: I feel miserable. I don’t like it. I want to drink some champagne to get out of my predicament. The liquor store is closed, I feel even more miserable.

Example of desire that doesn’t come from ignorance: for no reason whatsoever, I feel happy and lighthearted. I have this friend visiting me later today. It would be nice to celebrate friendship with some champagne. The liquor store is closed. No problem, it was just a nice idea, my happiness is not affected. The door bell rings: my friend appears, holding a bottle of champagne to celebrate the reunion.

You see the difference??

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

11 minutes ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

If you’re drinking every night you probs won’t feel great very often, and your body won’t thank you much. 

If you’re drinking here and there as a celebration, why not enjoy yourself? 

If you’re drinking as an escape and way to avoid what you’re feeling and whatever else, it’s coming from a sense of lack.

But, this doesn’t only apply to alcohol- TV, Movies, Sex, Video Games, a lot of other activities.

Are you doing them to escape how you feel and from a sense of lack. Or, are you doing them as a means to express happiness, have some fun and enjoy life. 

That’s what makes all the difference. 

Here’s a response from Francis Lucille regarding impersonal desire on this matter: 

The wanting itself comes from the ego. Is this correct? Or is enlightenment, in fact, a way to manifest one’s worldly desires?

Ignorance is the problem, not the ego. Our wanting comes from ignorance when we believe that our happiness depends on its fulfillment.

Example of desire that comes from ignorance: I feel miserable. I don’t like it. I want to drink some champagne to get out of my predicament. The liquor store is closed, I feel even more miserable.

Example of desire that doesn’t come from ignorance: for no reason whatsoever, I feel happy and lighthearted. I have this friend visiting me later today. It would be nice to celebrate friendship with some champagne. The liquor store is closed. No problem, it was just a nice idea, my happiness is not affected. The door bell rings: my friend appears, holding a bottle of champagne to celebrate the reunion.

You see the difference??

Thanks for the tips. Yeah its coming from a place of celebration. I've been living as a monk for the past year and recently found Rupert spiras direct path and realized I dont have to be celibate monk tucked away in an ashram my whole life to reach realization. I've been experiencing a ton of abiding peace from his method. So now I wanna go out and celebrate my freedom as enjoy being social. Thanks for clarifying ?

@whatthefucksgoinon Just so you know, Francis is Ruperts teacher, and who taught him the direct path. 

And, no you don’t! 

solitude and the inward path has its place but you don’t need to be a hermit, that can also come from a place of fear of the “dirty world” and protecting your peace. 

The only reason to do that, would be if you really wanted to, however you can be completely involved in life and completely awakened, Rupert is a great teacher. 

Go enjoy life! Go live! 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

3 hours ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

What a gem. ??

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE