Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rilles

Can Someone Explain...?

9 posts in this topic

How did these so called intellectuals go so off balance... Is this what happens when you go all philosophy and no heart? I cant find any good reason to sign a petition like this... Whats the context here?

”In 1977, a petition was addressed to the French parliament calling for the abrogation of several articles of the age of consent law and the decriminalization of all consensual relations between adults and minors below the age of fifteen (the age of consent in France). A number of French leftist intellectuals - including such prominent names as Louis Aragon, Michel Foucault, Jean-Paul Sartre, Jacques Derrida, Louis Althusser, Roland Barthes, Simone de Beauvoir, Gilles Deleuze, Félix Guattari, Michel Leiris, Alain Robbe-Grillet, Philippe Sollers, Jacques Rancière, Jean-François Lyotard, Francis Ponge, and various prominent doctors and psychologists - signed the petition.[1] In 1979 two open letters were published in French newspapers defending individuals arrested under charges of statutory rape, in the context of abolition of age of consent laws.”

Dont look at me! Look inside!

25 minutes ago, Moreira said:

Pedophile elites has always been a common issue.

These were French philosophers, what makes you say theyre ”elites”?

It was the seventies. As ex-pope Ratzinger so clumsily tried to explain, back in the day the Zeitgeist was very different and psychologists in particular thought that any sort of sexual repression in children was bad and they even had communes and experiments where children were encouraged to have sex from as early an age as they felt comfortable with. The idea was that adults should not put any constraints on the free and natural sexual expression of children as this would cause them considerable psychological damage. It was not necessarily an expression of paedophile tendencies, more like a misguided zeitgeist of free love and allowing children free love (mostly in the form of experimentation with each other). Nowadays of course this simply wouldn't fly. Just compare how homosexuality was viewed then (a serious criminal offence) versus how it is viewed today (celebrated and encouraged) to appreciate how much views on sexuality and what is acceptable can shift over time. BTW, in most ancient societies, including Greece and Rome, many things that are highly illegal today (such as bestiality and pederasty) were widely practiced. 

3 hours ago, Dumuzzi said:

It was the seventies. As ex-pope Ratzinger so clumsily tried to explain, back in the day the Zeitgeist was very different and psychologists in particular thought that any sort of sexual repression in children was bad and they even had communes and experiments where children were encouraged to have sex from as early an age as they felt comfortable with. The idea was that adults should not put any constraints on the free and natural sexual expression of children as this would cause them considerable psychological damage. It was not necessarily an expression of paedophile tendencies, more like a misguided zeitgeist of free love and allowing children free love (mostly in the form of experimentation with each other). Nowadays of course this simply wouldn't fly. Just compare how homosexuality was viewed then (a serious criminal offence) versus how it is viewed today (celebrated and encouraged) to appreciate how much views on sexuality and what is acceptable can shift over time. BTW, in most ancient societies, including Greece and Rome, many things that are highly illegal today (such as bestiality and pederasty) were widely practiced. 

Thats a very interesting idea... So basically the idea of personal freedom went too far. Ive been racking my mind about this and I can sort of see that consent could be lowered but removed altogether?! absolutely not. 

French philosophers from the historical period called the Illustration

12 hours ago, Rilles said:

These were French philosophers, what makes you say theyre ”elites”?

Nowadays a philosopher is like a tramp, but in the period called the Illustration they were a authority figure. 

12 minutes ago, Moreira said:

Nowadays a philosopher is like a tramp

In what way? Some write best selling books and are prestigious lecturers.

Or are you talking about the odd philosopher who has fallen on hard times and become a bum? LOL

Wtf man? Your post had me chuckling away for a good few minutes.

Edited by Bill W

48 minutes ago, Bill W said:

Or are you talking about the odd philosopher who has fallen on hard times and become a bum? LOL

In some ways he is right 

The days of poetry are over. 

Nowadays it's scribble that sells. Chuckle. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@Leo Gura You studied philosophy. What do you think?