The Lucid Dreamer

Lucid Dreaming Experiences and Discussion

77 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, tedens said:

I thought you meant to make highlight reel.

No I meant lucid dreaming is more fun first hand, as opposed to hearing about it second hand. 

I think you might have misunderstood her comment, my guy. :P

One thing that is certain that it works in getting lucid dreams is practicing mindfulness.

I did not have such typical long and controled lucid dreams as you/@The Lucid Dreamer . But the first time in my life I entered a dream I had long ago, which I didn't remember at all. It was like a quick reminder to me of this dream without the physical elapse of time. It impressed me. That was maybe a year ago but already with act.org.

Edited by tedens

@The Lucid Dreamer why don't you start a separate thread, and every post will update the dream goal for the week?  Maybe throughout the week we can vote on the next one. I think it would be fun for everyone to be doing the same dream goal, but sharing their unique, infinitely different experiences.  Maybe for the whole week we keep attempting the same goal to see if we get different results. 

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

yesterday i had a lucid dream axperience.I had took 30ug of 1p-lsd and hearing solfeggio harmonics frequencies delta for lucid dreaming and it was really vivid it was so vivid i remember everything and everyone the lucid dreaming frequencies where playing by accident and i discover it when i woke up.I knew i were in dream and i was not that afraid .Basically i knew this was not reall, the people reactions and the whole structure where like a dream.

Does anyone feel that the boundary between vivid imagination and lucid dreaming is very thin?

“Many talk like philosophers yet live like fools.” — Proverb

@The Lucid Dreamer Big fan of the topic of dreaming and sleep.

Sleep paralysis can be used as a gateway for lucid dreaming if you keep your eyes closed and try to imagine a situation you want to move to and then try moving your body to it. But sleep paralysis can be pretty scary, so it's a brash method. It's just something I learned from the numerous times I tried to escape sleep paralysis.

Another interesting feature of dreams is that you are unable to have inner dialogue. This is something I never really thought about and it kind of blew me away, wondering if this is the case for everyone. It seems that inner dialogue might manifest itself as actual voices in the dream? Not sure. It seems that way in the case of sleep paralysis.

Also, your morals and sense of self can be completely skewed in the dreams. I have had dreams where I was running around slicing people up with a knife while thinking nothing of it and actually enjoying myself.

Also the memories and things you experienced during the day often have an influence on what you dream about, but sometimes the thing you dream about is completely irrelevant and out of the ordinary. I've had dreams of blood and gore and I saw absolutely nothing of the sort in real life near that time, it really caught me off guard.

In sleep paralysis, which is technically a lucid dream, there are shared phenomenon around the world of certain creatures that can be seen. One of these is referred to as "shadow people", It is basically a shadow in the shape of a human. There is also this intense malevolent feeling of dread that can be felt, but I'm not sure if that is just me being scared. Sleep paralysis seems very similar to a psychedelic trip.

I also had an experience in sleep paralysis which refers back to the idea of inner dialogue manifesting itself as an actual voice. I was trying to keep myself calm during the sleep paralysis, and kept repeating to myself in my head "nothing, nothing, nothing" to try and get myself to think about nothing and clear my mind. As I was saying this, a stranger's voice appeared and started repeating exactly that, "nothing, nothing, nothing" exactly as i was doing in my head all in real time. Then the voice multiplied and it started drowning itself out, creating this echo effect to the voice. Then everything faded to black.

A theory I came up with is that the monsters we see in sleep paralysis are manifestations of our own fear. We see scary shadow people because we are scared of the dark in the moment, so we see monsters made of darkness.

For some reason, I am able to have inner monologue during sleep paralysis. Probably because it is so close to the waking state.

I think dreams in general are your subconscious's way of communicating with you.

If you want to decipher your dream, pay attention to the feelings and emotions it brings out of you and how you relate to it. Try to intellectualize what happened to you in the dream in words and how it made you feel. It is possible to decipher them even if they are seemingly nonsensical. I had a dream that I was eating raw meat and I looked it up and apparently it was common and it actually had a meaning that applied to me.

Even if you are in a non-lucid dream, whatever emotion or idea you conjure up seems to manifest itself. If you think a monster is gonna appear behind you in a dream, a monster will most definitely appear. 

I have learned to escape any scary dream. You simply need to close your eyes and curl up into a ball, then imagine positive thoughts. I am able to do this even in non-lucid dreams for some reason, maybe out of instinct.

I don't try to contemplate much during these experiences because of fear since most of my lucid experiences have been during sleep paralysis. Most I've done during a lucid dream is asking someone in a dream "Do you know you're in a dream?" to which they responded "No". I also had this scary lucid dream where there were monsters everywhere and they kept telling me that I would be stuck in the dream forever.  I've gotten most of my knowledge from non-lucid dreams, they are straightforward and seemingly created for you.

Honestly though, asking people in dreams for answers seems like a pretty awesome idea. Now I just have to learn how to become lucid without sleep paralysis.

Edited by Osaid

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, 'This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful.' The moment you see it, the head stops running thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts running. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

@tedens I wouldn't recommend trying to create sleep paralysis, but it typically happens with stress and awkward sleep schedules.

When I would come home from school I would pass out at 6pm from exhaustion then wake up at 12am. Then I would fall asleep again at around 3-4am. This sleep schedule induced sleep paralysis for me about 80% of the time.

It is also more likely to happen if you sleep with your body facing upwards.

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, 'This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful.' The moment you see it, the head stops running thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts running. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

@Derek White I kinda understand what you mean:). In lucid dream the world as almost as real as this one, for me, anyway. I would say that reality is a bit different, more like introverted, lol. Everything converges on you and gives you the opportunity to be very mindful. Probably, because we discuss this topic I had an interesting dream last night but it did not trigger the notion that I was dreaming. I had a dream that I was in the car with two young men. They were siblings. One of them purposely started a car and let it go on a high speed from the cliff, I was on the backseat. My thought was: I am not going to die because I am the main hero in this life-movie and others do not exist. I was waiting for some power to stop the car. And it happened. LOL. Maybe because everybody says on this forum that death, in fact, is imaginary.  Usually, such thoughts trigger me to realize I am sleeping. But it was not the case this time :( 

Another time I had a very interesting lucid dream being in the mountains and trying to fathom the fabric of snow. I was crumpling it in my hand. I noticed that the fabric of that snow was very viscous. I will expand about it later. 

Edited by Galyna

"All that we know is limited, something we don't - is infinite"

@tedens You need to study your sleep first, and catch that time properly to wake up during the REM. It's freaky, I would not even recommend doing it.

Edited by Galyna

@Osaid Btw, if this happens pretty often it might be an alarm that you have an underlying health issues. 

When I was twenty I was working on the cruise liners, we never had sleep there. Because at night you party, during the day you work and explore different ports and cities. I could stay without a proper sleep for entire six month. I slept literally two, three to four hours a day. However, I did not have a paralysis even once.

Edited by Galyna

On 26.03.2020 at 3:40 AM, tedens said:

One thing that is certain that it works in getting lucid dreams is practicing mindfulness.

I did not have such typical long and controled lucid dreams as you/@The Lucid Dreamer . But the first time in my life I entered a dream I had long ago, which I didn't remember at all. It was like a quick reminder to me of this dream without the physical elapse of time. It impressed me. That was maybe a year ago but already with act.org.

But the second situation took place a few days ago also during meditation. This vision was short-lived and concerned a real place (my neighborhood). It was also accompanied by the feeling that this situation had already taken place but at the same time the strong feeling of the present moment was as if this moment existed forever. I really was amazed and I don't know what to think about it. It's like two moments in one. The intense feelings of these two situations give the impression that they exist "forever" / are written somewhere /.

On 3/25/2020 at 9:48 PM, Galyna said:

@The Lucid Dreamer

Sorry for the delay, Chase :)….I have a lot going on today. I think I will not be able to write here about my spiritual journey in details because we are in the topic of dreams, plus too many private things, I do not feel comfortable to share it with everybody. But I will tell you this, I have started to ponder about life meaning at the age of 11. I remember my first books were around the topic “life after death” by Raymond Moody, NLP, UFO, poltergeist, channeling (Kryon), and many others. I will not be able to name them all. Alan Watts, Osho, Makarshi, Maharaj, Tolle, Spira, Ouspensky, Gurdjieff, Robert Adams, McKenna, Audobindo appeared later on in life. Science with the quantum mechanics, neuroplasticity, wave-partical duality, Plank, Loius de Broglie, Neils Bohr haha:D, read a little bit about their theories,  watched some movies about this topic. Was fascinated so much that for some period in my life I lived with a great passion to understand reality and how it worked:x. I was thinking about Enlightenment 24/7, meditating as well. Had heated debates with some people and family as well9_9, still do, sometimes with my mom. Friends? Never talk about this with other people anymore. Only here on this forum.:( Books? Yeah, I could read three books at a time and it would not be enough. I had that crazy passion for knowledge and Truth . Anyway, I will not expend here because it would mean to violate the guidelines of this forum:(..

Wowy. Well it sounds like you’re a rare breed.  To start that kind of questioning at age 11 is pretty remarkable. Hell, let’s be real, to have the degree of existential curiosity you have at all is entirely unusual, period. Seems the only place you can find people like that are on forums like this, and forums like this are incredibly scarce. Don’t know what kind of house hold you grew up in, but it doesn’t sound like there was too much stifling or demonization of existential curiosity and philosophy like in mine. 

Unlike you, I did not really start to inquire deeply into the nature of reality until I was 23, Up until that point, the notion of hell was so drilled into me, that I dared not question my faith. At least not too much.  Growing up, I would have deep thoughts here and there and I would spot inconsistencies within my belief system, but if I ever raised a question to my parents, they would immediately shoot it down or would even become angry with me for asking.  So I started to associate philosophical questioning with emotional punishment.  Because of this, if anything I heard came into conflict with my belief system, I wouldn’t give it any credence; I would just immediately assume that that thing must be false, because it doesn’t line up with the “Word of GAWD.” 

It took being completely alone living in another state for a year in a half, away from any dogmatic influence from family or friends for me to finally be able to break free from that type of epistemological bondage.  That was where I started studying all the science that I had been previously sheltered from.

About dreams: once I had a dream looking at my face in the mirror too. Actually this triggered the understanding that I was in my dream, because I had a different face. I was trying to get a closer look and was amazed how tricky everything in the dream was. I just had a different face features, it was not me at all.

Ooh yeah, I’ve had dreams like that as well where I didn’t look the same. In fact, just the other night, I had a lucid dream where I looked in the mirror and I was a female. O.o I woke up a little weirded out, haha.

Do you remember what Castaneda recommended to do in your lucid dreaming? I wonder if you read his books? Looking at your hands.

Ya know, I never did read his books. :P I know, shameful for someone who claims to be a lucid dreamer, haha. It’s on my to do list.

I have done the experiment of looking at my hands though. In one dream, I was looked at my hand and I had like 7 fingers. I was like “Whoa, let me see if I can fix that.” So I flicked my hand, and it went down to 6 fingers. “Almost there.” I thought.  I flicked my hand again to try to get to get it down to 5 but after I flicked it, I had like 10 fingers. All of which I could control individually.  I was like “What in the actual Eff??” Haha

On 3/25/2020 at 11:10 PM, Galyna said:

I am re-reading everything you posted here and I wish you could expand more on this statement. Because I'm literally thinking about it every day. Man, I have so many questions, I am not sure if I can express here everything in a correct way, due to the linguistic limitations. 

Hoo boy! That’s a really complex topic that takes a bit of explaining. I’ll expound on some of it here, but I may have to save the rest for another thread.

This is a thought experiment that can get you to start to fathom the immeasurability of reality:

Okay, so imagine that you are facing a wall standing just a few feet away.  Every second, you take a step towards the wall traversing half the distance of where you were standing and the wall.  You keep doing this, taking a step half the distance, half the distance, half the distance. Forever getting closer to the wall, but never actually reaching it.  The reason why this can happen is because distance and measurement are completely relative.  The distance between your face and the screen you are looking at is the same as the distance between your face and the end of the universe.  

Another way to think about the immeasurability of reality is to think about the concept of shape.  We have these concepts of shapes that we project onto the “Objects” we see in reality.  For instance, we have a concept of a sphere that we use to make sense of the shape of the earth.  Is the earth a sphere?  Well sure, when you’re looking at it from outer space, it appears to be perfectly spherical. So from that vantage point, we say okay, this object lines up with our concept of a perfect sphere.  But  of course if you start to zoom in, you will start to see bumps on the surface, like mountains and valleys and canyons.  So if we want to be more accurate, we have to come up with a new conceptual shape to correct for that change in perspective and account for all the slight details on the surface like mountains and such.  But if you zoom in even more, you will start to see trees, and boulders and rocks and buildings and all these little finer details that further complicate the actual “shape” of the planet.  We can then say, okay, now we have to come up with a new concept of a shape to make up for those details on the surface.  But notice that you can just keep zooming in even more the find even finer details, like pebbles, grains of sand, molecules, atoms, quarks, and so on. At this point we should start to realize that this spherical “shape” that we originally thought was an inherent quality of the earth was not objective, but conceptual.  There literally is no such thing as shape, outside of our conceptual framework.  

Further, there is no such thing as an “object” to even attach the concept of a shape to.  Whenever you look at what you perceive to be a single object, you are looking at an apparent surface that has an unlimited amount of other surfaces that make it up. So is your hand a single object, or is it 5 fingers and a palm? Is it 5 fingers and a palm, or is it trillions of cells? Is it trillions of cells, or is it trillions upon trillions of molecules? Is it trillions upon trillions of molecules, or is it sextillions of atoms?  

Who’s to say how you’re supposed to conceptualize an “object?”

On 3/25/2020 at 11:21 PM, Galyna said:

@The Lucid Dreamer Oh yes, and one more question! Do you have this strange feeling when intuition comes in handy. Let's say something should happen, do you have this feeling inside that you gravitate towards one outcome that the other? I do not know how to explain... when something big is going to happen, in a good way, do you have this feeling that something "great" is coming and you are anticipating it. (I know I am deviating from topic, I am sorry for this :$ ) people sometimes compare this feeling with being in love. Imagine you are in love, that kind of feeling. Like you are surfing on the wave in the ocean. It is kinda that feeling that uplift you. So..... back to the intuition, could you predict events in your life in this manner? I could. A month before the great event happened in my life I had this feeling of an emotional lift. I knew something was going to happen, I could sense it. 

So I do have these feelings sometimes, however, it feels like whenever I get these feelings that the universe immediately will try to do the exact opposite of what I’m anticipating.  If I ever feel optimistic, I immediately become worried that something bad will happen just to slap down my expectations.  I’m not saying that that’s actually what’s going on, it just feels that way.  But because of this, I’ve kind of got in the habit of just trying to not have any expectations of the future at all and just take everything in stride. Just live in the moment and go with the flow, if you will.  If I have no expectations, then I can’t be disappointed. :P That may sound a bit pessimistic, and maybe this has to do with something within me that I need to work on, but it’s just how I’ve been conditioned to conduct myself through my experiences.  

That’s great though that that happens for you in that way.  Must be nice, haha.

@The Lucid Dreamer. Thanks for starting the thread and good insights from what i read thus far.  It's now featured.  Nice to meet you by the way.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Osaid Yes, I certainly do believe that your lucid dreams are a reflection of your subconscious and that you can learn things about yourself through them.

I personally have only experienced sleep paralysis once in my life, so I can’t relate too much with this. 

9 hours ago, Osaid said:

@The Lucid DreamerAlso, your morals and sense of self can be completely skewed in the dreams. I have had dreams where I was running around slicing people up with a knife while thinking nothing of it and actually enjoying myself.

I too have had dreams where I committed morally questionable acts.  What I think this needs to teach us is that no matter how exceptionally moral we think we are, our mind is also capable of the atrocities that we hold in such contempt, if we had only had different conditioning as we were being brought up. So we should not judge other peoples actions so harshly. 

9 hours ago, Osaid said:

Even if you are in a non-lucid dream, whatever emotion or idea you conjure up seems to manifest itself. If you think a monster is gonna appear behind you in a dream, a monster will most definitely appear. I

This definitely happens quite a bit to me, and it’s sort of annoying, haha.  It’s like if I’m doing something in a dream, sometimes I’ll just have this thought come up in the back of my head that’s like “Hrm... what if something really scary happened just now.” And immediately just by thinking it, I bring it into manifestation. It’s like my mind will just sabotage itself just out of curiosity. I don’t understand it. 

1 hour ago, Inliytened1 said:

@The Lucid Dreamer. Thanks for starting the thread and good insights from what i read thus far.  It's now featured.  Nice to meet you by the way.

The pleasure is all mine, @Inliytened1 . I’ve read many of your posts in the past even well before joining the forum and have always found your insights to be golden. 

Edited by The Lucid Dreamer