Vipassana

3 Hour Sit ~ Quarantine challenge

85 posts in this topic

@Vipassana This is highly impressive and you are only 20. I'm 23 and I'm trying to push to 2 hours, but I start to have troubles after 1h 30.

Did people in your family introduce you to meditation? Where did you learn about it?

You will probably outgrow Leo and other masters pretty fast!

What type of meditation is this? Also what are the results?

Edited by tenta

Actually I never understood why people say they can't do 3 hours. After a couple years of meditating on and off I thought I would try long determination sitting. I started with 1 hour, and thought that it wasn't as hard as I thought. Then did 1 h 30, then increased the length 15 minutes each session to 3 hours, and afterwards went further, up to 4 hours (just to try out). Okay 4 hours felt quite horrible, and really didn't want to do it again, but if you want you can just keep sitting right? Maybe people feel they can't do it, because when you set the alarm for 1 hour, your mind starts becoming busy with when the alarm will go off at the 40 minute mark. But if you set the clock for 2 hours, the first hour goes much faster then if you would have set the alarm for 1 hour. That is my experience anyway.

@Raphael Yes my family is into meditation & I was very lucky to be introduced although I did resist it for 16 years of my life until I tried psychedelics.

@tenta Its just a formal mindfulness body scanning technique. Some threads of Theravada Buddhism claim that this was Gautam Buddha's main teaching. The results are spiritual purification, increased mindfulness & equanimity. Ultimately leading to full liberation. 

@Waken Any fool can meditate but it takes a wise man to remain mindful when shit hits the fan ;) Definitely brother, its just mind games. Its just takes a desire to push yourself and commitment to actually execute it. Doing 3 hour was way off my radar just a month ago and now 5 hours seem outrageous but one day I will do it. Its definitely true that one hour bypasses very quickly when the alarm is set for 2 hours. Self Deception at its finest! 

@cypres very true although I think its only so in the initial stages. After some practice, your endurance for dealing with 'storms' increases and you're able to get through most experiences even if they are very difficult.