Thought Art

Common Place Book Systems/ Strategies

6 posts in this topic

What systems and strategies do you folks use for your commonplace books?

Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Hi @Thought Art

I just was making a post talking about this and asking others how they organize their commonplace books

Personally I use One Note as its the most convenient, if you use a Google Chrome, there is an extension One Note clipper which can add pages and clip bits and send them directly to your One Note page which is useful. 

I use google chrome bookmarks and they match my One Note identically. If I've gathered info listening to a podcasts, reading books, website. I bookmark it into a corresponding bookmark. When I feel like writing on a given subject I find this bookmark, timestamp to a video and begin writing on that topic. I have many, many topics on both One Note and Chrome Bookmarks e.g.

Personal

Books

Quotes

Academia

Self Help

Studies

Health

Meditation

Drugs

Economics

Philosophy

Etc... 

With in these topics I have separate sub topics

For example take mediation

Meditation

Types of Meditation

Mindfulness 

I am Meditation

Vipassana

Interesting People

Alan Watts

Exchart Tolle

David R Hawkins

Zen

The Way of Zen Book Review

The stages of Zen

Etc...

I have the sub pages that all relate to the main page. I only make these pages when I intend to write about them. If you use one note you can interlink all of these pages, with one another so it becomes very quickly a manual/repository on your own thought process and gathered information. So you can quickly gather info.

Hope this helped

I'm also interested in others systems/strategies

Godspeed

@Thought Art Each artifact (note) I organize with these strategies: 

1. I use a hierarchical structure with a fixed top level which is replicated also in my task manager, bookmarks and file system for easier orientation.

2. I separate my Project-related artifacts from the rest of my system for fast and easy access (these I need most often)

3. I use a progressive summarization technique for each note, meaning I give them a level of "quality" depending on how much I interacted with it  

4. I do a weekly review of my system for cleanup work (e.g. cleaning INBOX folder

Technically, I use Evernote as a commonplace book. I like it more than MS OneNote. However, I think your "organization system" is way more important than the actual tool you are using. 

@IJB063 What Version of One Note are you using? Thanks for your reply! Great Stuff

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"