LfcCharlie4

30 Day Wim Hof Method Challenge

133 posts in this topic

fourth day - 3xbreathing - only cracked the two minutes breathless mark after the second round. full body shower i don’t stop the time but do it the way it feels good.

warmth in heart area and upper stomach.

also, guys don’t run a marathon every day...

the hypothermia thing is not a joke. so try to have something warm around its important to support the body after shock frosting it. a peak sometimes is nice but then returning back to routine. of course if you train for ice diving... the routine is probably different.

Edited by remember

Yea 2 things i'v found are important are knowing not to do it if you have a cold/ run down and not tensing up while in the cold as this will create stiffness in the body. 

This video might help with understanding that...

@andyjohnsonman Love that, wish we had a lake nearby, hope it felt amazing despite how cold it was! 

And Midwestern method is awesome, he's been at it 4 years so knows a thing or 2

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

I've done this challenge for 90 days and I do recommend giving it a go. I've experienced lots of energy and freshness while it lasted. Just be careful not to jump straight to freezing temperatures without the gradual exposure, you'll get frost bite and severe aches in you joints ,and for men, sudden shrinkage of penis. Any women reading feel free to share.

fifth day - no breathing exercise - cold shower only, full body, little longer than yesterday - heat up phase. definitely my hands and feet did not get as warm as when i do the breathing in advance. although warmth in upper body heart area was heating up - feet felt almost a little cold.

@Danioover9000 hahaha - if jumping into a cold as ice pool after sauna there is not much problem for women - but if cold showering sometimes its better to put a hand in front like a protection shield. for all other parts - it makes the skin more healthy and flexible and tightens it that for sure. but i can imagine it might be painful sometimes for guys. don’t know maybe putting a heat pack into the pants before jumping into icewater??? i can just say protect you vegetables.

Edited by remember

day six had a cold shower only finished with cold showering the legs and feet again which dissolved the problem of cold feet’s in the heat up phase.

day seven 3x breathing but this time like recommended of @Epikur i tried different kinds of breath. the 60/40 didn‘t help a lot with lung volume, couldn’t hold the breath afterwards for long. the fully out breath was better but i could not crash the two minute mark in all three rounds. so i‘ll probably try other breathing techniques soon too - to compare what they are able to do. still have the feeling the wim hof breathing is transporting more air into each cell. which then combined with the cold shower creates a cell regeneration process. — then cold shower longer than before. i‘ll try to use a timer from tomorrow on. - heat up phase.

here is the video with the three breaths. the third one though help during cold exposure. 

any news from someone else? or did you all make a speed challenge of it? or did you have to take a short break after your break throughs – how is it going. still everything fresh?

i’m not even close to the minute mark yet.

Edited by remember

Day 6 x3 breathing 1 minute hot 1.30 cold 1min hot 1.30 cold 1 min hot

This is very current:

I took a break during the weekend, was feeling too much body heat throughout the day. And where I live it's really hot, so it was getting uncomfortable.

Resumed on Monday, so I think I'm on day 7. Nothing special to report.

Alternative Rock Music and Spirituality on YouTube: The Buddha Visions

I've been doing them for about a week and I notice a difference. I think a key part of the entire enterprise is just the attention on deep breathing.

I think prior this challenge I just wasn't taking time throughout the day to deeply breathe, and just that change has produced major changes.

2 Weeks in for me, doing wither 3x30 breaths or 4x40 breaths followed by roughly a 3 minute cold shower, still need to try that 10 minute cold shower, will try tonight I think- now this will be a challenge! 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

@andyjohnsonman what is the difference if you finish with a warm shower or with a cold shower? is there any difference? 

@Gili Trawangan maybe it helps if you only do cold leg showers? somehow i sometimes have done that in a warmer region - maybe also cold warm cold warm cold (only legs - might have a different effect, because it does not affect the torso so much)

@Raptorsin7 ??? are you also trying other breathing techniques?

@LfcCharlie4 ten minutes seems like a pretty long time - i remember how it was when we played in the snow outside in winter for long time and when the hands were almost frozen, how it felt when they slowly went warm - or how luke warm water then felt like hot water. have fun! def a challenge! i‘m really interested in how that works.

eighth day, again only cold shower 30seconds, starting with a normal warm shower finishing with the cold exposure. i’m doing the app challenge which is real slow in comparison to you guys - doing already some kind of mount everst challenge from my perspective. i’m a little scared having a five mins cold shower) afterwards my favorite mummyfication phase in  a blanket - i realized the better i‘m wrapped up the warmer it gets especially around the feet. always walking barefoot at home but since i do the challenge my feet are always warm - really nice sideffect! 

Edited by remember

I did 3x30 breathing and cold shower (at the end of hot shower) 8 times so far. I missed one day yesterday :)
Cold shower max time 5 minutes, now I do 1 min in cloudy days and 2 mins in sunny days :D 
I love these exercises. I feel refreshed afterwards.

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

6 hours ago, remember said:

@Gili Trawangan maybe it helps if you only do cold leg showers? somehow i sometimes have done that in a warmer region - maybe also cold warm cold warm cold (only legs - might have a different effect, because it does not affect the torso so much)

@remember Are you suggesting that the increased body heat is a result of the cold showers? I get the impression that it's because of the breathing exercise itself, when I do the breathing I experience a noticeable change in body temperature...

Plus the cold showers aren't really that difficult here, it's a tropical climate, it's really hot, so the cold showers are actually welcomed :D

@Gili Trawangan ah mhh yeah i suggest its probably both - but cold showering creates a body reflex of producing heat. that’s a principle of cold warm hydro therapy which was explored by a german priest called sebastian kneipp. he was sick with tuberculosis (which meant a secure death in that time) and cured himself through jumping into a cold river everyday. he later was also treating the pope. so yes i‘m somehow not just suggesting this but assuming that. usually in kneipp cold water therapy you always end with cold water and then for example let it dry through walking in the sun or like i do wrapped in a blanket if its not warm enough. it is healthy because of several body reactions to the cold water one of it is an increase in body heat. maybe there is more increase if you warmed up the body by sports or breathing technique internally.

what wim hof explains in the last video andy shared is that he is tackling epinephrine with the breathing and opening oxygen channels to all cells. the kneipp doc teaches the water then works interacting with cortisol levels and other mechanism. so of course wim hof method is a further developed method to maximize the positive effects of breathing techniques and hydrotherapy in one package.

that‘s why i asked @andyjohnsonman if he senses any difference - could be that there is a difference in finishing warm instead of cold, but that’s for me only theory. he in a sense already started experimenting on that.

so if you would want to cool down, maybe closing with warm could be better than closing with cold. - would be interesting if you try. although for medical reasons the heat is that which is a sign for the immune system running.

Edited by remember

Wim Hof calling out the BULLSHIT of Big Pharma! And, also saying his vision of a society built on Love, what a man!

@remember Thanks for that explanation. Actually, I do finish the showers with warm water, simply because I don't have a choice... it's the way my shower works, even if the tap is set to cold, after a few minutes it starts to get warm :)

I'm going to take another break this weekend, am feeling the body heat going up again and I don't particularly enjoy that.

11th day without a pause. 3x30 + 1x40 breaths. breath hold 1min, 1min30, 2min, 2min30. Cold shower 1min20. Directly after the breath work I take a short warm shower and then I finish with the cold one.

I seem to have a bit more energy during the day so far. 

"Know yourself as nothing; feel yourself as everything." -- Rupert Spira

nineth day did four times kapalbhati instead of wim hof breathing - as it is an fast outbreathing technique i could only hold the breath for around 45 seconds each time after. then cold shower 30sec after normal shower and finally heat up phase. did another kapalbhati wrapped in blanket because i had the feeling it took longer till the body went warm - that actually helped better than in the preparation, torso got warmer than feet again so i probably return to wim‘ s breathing.

here the world record in breath holding.

edit: i also just realized how i did the kapalbhati completely wrong... so i probably have to try it tomorrow again (also my feet are extremely warm today, don’t know if it is because i did the cold water showers for several days now or if it is because the effect of the breathing sets in - its called the breath of fire) 

very interesting. most youtube yogis teach it very different. maybe i try to do that from now on during the heat up phase.

Edited by remember