LfcCharlie4

30 Day Wim Hof Method Challenge

133 posts in this topic

Not sure if this belongs in the Meditation or Health section, but I feel this can benefit everyone so I'll put it where most people are most active. 

A lot of westerners neglect their body, even after getting into Spirituality and Non-Duality (some even more so) so I thought I'd come up with this 30 Day Wim Hof Challenge to get people more interested in their health and self-healing. 

The method is very simple, it is 3-4 rounds of 30-40 deep full breaths, with a gap of 1-2 1/2 minutes of no breathing (go longer if you want to) after every round, usually followed up with a cold shower of 2-5 minutes, but starting at 10 seconds at the end of your normal shower. The 3rd component of the method is Stretching/ Mindfulness/ Meditation which most people here will be familiar with anyways

Firstly, anything that helps our lungs and immune systems can't be a bad thing during this Covid-19 outbreak, and secondly, Wim has helped so many people with varying issues from crippling Anxiety to Lyme disease, his courses and retreats of course go more into cold exposure and the method with Ice Baths, snow walks and runs etc. but to start with even this can help so much. 

What I'm proposing is a 30 Day Challenge of doing this EVERY morning (and night as an optional extra) and then reporting back the results either daily or weekly. 

The guided YT video has 3 rounds x 30 breaths, in his course, there are 4 rounds x  40 breaths with longer pauses, so practice whichever you prefer.

So it would be 30 Days (ideally mornings on an empty stomach he recommends) of the breathing exercise, followed up with a cold shower. Mindfulness/Meditation/Stretching can be done before or after, whenever you normally practice. 

So far, in the one week it's helped me 1) clear my sinuses 2) Boost my energy HUGLEY 3) Improve focus massively 4) The buzz afterwards is pretty cool too

So, here's the video for anyone interested

Couple podcasts of Wim 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

Started your challenge already yesterday. ;) 3 rounds, 30 deep breaths and then holding the breath for 1min20s, 1min40s and 2min.

Edited by Gneh Onebar

"Know yourself as nothing; feel yourself as everything." -- Rupert Spira

Awesome man! Hope you followed it up with a nice cold shower ;) 

Also, when you're ready to step it up do the 40 breaths for 4 rounds with holding the breath for 1 min 30, 2 mins, 2 mins and 2 mins 30 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

@LfcCharlie4 Only did the breathing so far. Will do the shower also in the future. 

"Know yourself as nothing; feel yourself as everything." -- Rupert Spira

@Gneh Onebar yeah man cold exposure is the really fun part, although not many would agree there! 

don’t get me wrong it’s a challenge but it’s a fun one!

Bruv this is the shit.

I usually after finishing a round will focus on my heartspace. And take 1 max deep breath in. And let the cave of the heart generate gratitude. And then RELEASE. As everything comes and goes in this universe.

Very nice way do incorporate gratitude with the WHM.

Peace.

@d0ornokey Maybe as a beginner that wouldn’t be best, I’m not sure how that would effect the body, so I can’t say, just check out Wims stuff on YT for more Info man :) 

@Visionary That sounds like an awesome practice bro, especially during the breath hold .

I do cold showers but haven't stuck with breathing. For some reason I haven't found it to produce any noticeable changes? 

As I understand it, there is a gap in the breathing as you breath into your stomach and then into your chest while lying down. In your op, you mention there’s a larger gap outlined in his course. How long is this gap between stomach inhale and then the chest inhale? Perhaps my gaps aren’t long enough. 

@LfcCharlie4 In. Cold showers are amazing, they put so much pressure on my third eye I'm hoping they crack it wide open like the lsd did.

I'll keep doing it and report back if I have a break through 

@Consilience

Easiest way is to follow his guided breathing, 30 full deep breaths no break between inhale and exhale, then there is a period of holding your breath between each round- 1 minute, 1 minute 30 seconds and 2 minutes 

his course has 4 rounds of 40 breaths and the holding breaths time period is then 1minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes and then 2 minutes 30 which is seriously hard. 

I would say do the longer in the morning once you are used to it, do the longer one followed by a cold shower and then in the evening do the shorter breathing followed by another cold shower. 

Really helping me, it’s awesome! 

@LfcCharlie4 Okay so I was only really doing the technique once a day rather than twice or more :) Thanks for the input and high quality thread!

Im going to start this tomorrow i think especially now is a good time to boost immune system. Do you have a plan of progression for the duration of the cold showers?

49 minutes ago, andyjohnsonman said:

I found a booklet which I feel will help everyone who wants to try this. 

Wim Hoff workbook.pdf

Great link. Thank you.

Just tried it for the first time. Will do the 30 days and see what happens. Challenge accepted :D

Alternative Rock Music and Spirituality on YouTube: The Buddha Visions

Nice thread

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Iam trying this for 5 days and it is really awesome. Like after the exercise i feel like weed high and my mind chatter is really down for rest of the day.

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

@andyjohnsonman Start with 10 seconds at the end of your normal shower, then keep adding 10 seconds per day, until you can have 1x fully cold shower for 2-5 minutes, you'll hate it at first, but I LOVE them now, I just need to find a way to create Ice Baths, as I've heard your not meant to do it in your normal baths :( 

@andyjohnsonman yes that's awesome, tracking the breath hold like a weight training session almost.

@Harikrishnan Yep it's awesome, don't back out of the cold showers though ;)