charles1

Leo's Booklist Epistemological Ramifications

12 posts in this topic

I've read  almost on the books on the preview page of Leo's Booklist and I'm starting to wonder whether I should buy the entire list. 

There is no doubt those books are wonderful. The Road Less Traveled ; Mastery ; The 4 Agreements... are mind-blowing books. And I bet the list is full of other books as wonderful.  But it is a selection. Leo's selection. And I have no guaranty it is unbiased. 

Although I want to truth Leo, I can't.  I can't take that risk, even if I think it is real low.  In fact, I can't even say to be epistemologically honest that the risk is low. The truth is I DON'T KNOW. 

But I also know that I will inevitably  lose time by reading my own selection.  That's the price to pay for intellectual unbiasedness. 

Conversely, I know that if I don't buy the booklist, I will be subjected to my own biases : I won't be willing to read any Witchcraft books, paranormal books and that's maybe as problematic. Leo's booklist will make me read  on some topics I would have never dare to explore, and will force me to be adventurous. But then again, It is a epistemological submission to Actualized.org , which is precisely the biggest trap out there for me. 

I'm asking for help, and guidance, especially from  former pyrrhonists out there. And Leo, how did you do ? How did you balance the  authority of your sources with your own biases ?  

Thanks in advance, even if I will not give full credit to your answer  ! ( sorry for such epistemological care but i haven't yet cured myself from the fear of delusion  ^_^ ) 

I just bought it as a way of saying thank you for all the free content on his YouTube. It's what, like 2 lunches? It's dirt cheap and it has heaps of insightful books. Just do it dude. There's very low risk and you're helping Leo. Chances are that you'll find some really insightful, helpful books for your own path. 

Not exploring something is actually an epistemic trap, not a boon.

Your greatest fear (it seems) is being sucked into Leo's biased perspective.

But in denying Leo's perspective, out of fear, you strengthen your own bias (even though you call it "epistemological care")

Try throwing yourself into it. And trust the process. You're far too critical to be suckered into someone else's perspective...

Your greatest enemy is yourself.

It's Love.

@charles1 Lol, dude, you're WAY overthinking it.

The books will blow your mind and change your life and you will never look back.

Don't be so paralyzed by avoiding bias that you are unable to take a decisive step.

Risking $35 is like the lowest risk in the world.

Reading books is not an epistemological submission to anything. I've read many books which were flat out false. And many of the books in my booklis are flat out false on many metaphysical issues. But that doesn't matter. It's all part of the process.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

You can read a book on witchcraft, disagree with it, and still come out wiser and better for having read it.

You don't need to verify a book's truth before reading it. That's backwards. First you read it, then you can assess how true you think it is.

You cannot find truth unless you're willing to explore dead ends. Because you can't know ahead of time what is and what isn't a dead end. So a serious truth-seeker must have a high tolerance for risk. You gotta try stuff and fail more and faster than everyone else.

Read 200 books, and if they all turn out to be false, great! Now you know which books to avoid as you move on to read the next 200. << That's how you master life. Not through perfectionism and fear of making a mistake. I've read so many bullshit books in retrospect. They were all part of my journey to truth. There was no way I could know they were bullshit until after having read them and many years had passed.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@charles1 You’re being silly to be honest. Just read the books and see for yourself if they help you and make sense to you.

You’re not “epistemologically submitting” to actualized.org ?. Only thing you’re submitting to is the fear and judgment of your own mind.

How do you step outside of your house without knowing 100% that you won’t die? Everything, including this work requires risk.

Try to connect with direct experience rather than getting lost in thinking and logic. That will solve your problems ?.

“Many talk like philosophers yet live like fools.” — Proverb

1 hour ago, Consilience said:

I just bought it as a way of saying thank you for all the free content on his YouTube. It's what, like 2 lunches? 

It isn't about money, it is about intellectual freedom. 

1 hour ago, RendHeaven said:

Your greatest fear (it seems) is being sucked into Leo's biased perspective.

But in denying Leo's perspective, out of fear, you strengthen your own bias (even though you call it "epistemological care")

Yes, you're right, but it's rather being sucked into any perspective.  Since I am at the beginning of my spiritual journey, I hold on skepticism by fear too much, and  I know so, but my subconscious won't let go. ( I'm try to ) 

Your point on skepticism being itself a bias is I think a great analysis. 

48 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@charles1 Lol, dude, you're WAY overthinking it.

The books will blow your mind and change your life and you will never look back.

Don't be so paralyzed by avoiding bias that you are unable to take a decisive step.

Risking $35 is like the lowest risk in the world.

Reading books is not an epistemological submission to anything. I've read many books which were flat out false. And many of the books in my booklist are flat out false on many metaphysical issues. But that doesn't matter. It's all part of the process.

You can read a book on witchcraft, disagree with it, and still come out wiser and better for having read it.

You don't need to verify a book's truth before reading it. That's backwards. First you read it, then you can assess how true you think it is.

You cannot find truth unless you're willing to explore dead ends. Because you can't know ahead of time what is and what isn't a dead end. So a serious truth-seeker must have a high tolerance for risk. You gotta try stuff and fail more and faster than everyone else.

Read 200 books, and if they all turn out to be false, great! Now you know which books to avoid as you move on to read the next 200. << That's how you master life. Not through perfectionism and fear of making a mistake. I've read so many bullshit books in retrospect. They were all part of my journey to truth.

Thanks for that ! That's encouraging !  A great reminder of your video " How to discover What's True ? " I think. 

When you look for too much independence, you stay stuck. And you don't need to be a hardcore skeptic to not be deluded.  I still can't believe you 100%, I still need other high consciousness ressources but I am now ready to take more epistemological risks, and fail more.  Might buy your list in the end, once I'm done with some other books ( Bergson is a great thinker )  :D

Edited by charles1

@charles1 Honestly, your greatest risk is not buying it ;)

You would lose YEARS of your life on inferior knowledge.

But you are right, from your POV there's no way you can know if what I'm saying is true. Such is life. Maybe everything I say is wrong. So what are you gonna do about it?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

23 minutes ago, Derek White said:

You’re not “epistemologically submitting” to actualized.org ?. Only thing you’re submitting to is the fear and judgment of your own mind.

Maybe... Probably even... I'm not sufficiently self-honest to say whether it's true or not.  

But I can't   forget from evaluating the risk of being deluded by Leo. Being mindless is  as dangerous as overthinking and being stuck in thought like I am.

28 minutes ago, Derek White said:

Try to connect with direct experience rather than getting lost in thinking and logic. That will solve your problems ?.

That's the solution. No need for our debate. Agreed. 

9 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

But you are right, from your POV there's no way you can know if what I'm saying is true. Such is life. Maybe everything I say is wrong. So what are you gonna do about it?

Yep you're right. When you realize you will need to stand on the shoulder of giants, on authority, whatever you do in life, you don't have any choice but taking those risks that are potential opportunities at the same time. 

But the trap of ideology is never far. And I'm struggling to see how I can avoid it while at the same time not overthinking things. 

You know that after buying the list no-one forces you to read books only from that list? You can still read what you want. :P

I am lately catching up with the list and listening to 2-3 books a week, thanks to a cool trick on Audible that allows you to get 3 books for one credit.

Ok, maybe it's not a trick but straightout gaming the system, but you can exchange any book twice and no-one asks a question. Great option for people from developing countries. 

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Before I started following  Leo I read probably 10 books in my entire life. In the last 15 months I probably read 100 books and  half of it from Leo's list. I would not change this experience with anything. I am forever thankful for Leo. Those book lists are the antidote for ignorance.