Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VeganAwake

Understanding the aim of a spiritual practice

11 posts in this topic

One of Leo's videos that helped is called "Distraction the egos favorite defense mechanism"

When I look back now after several Awakening experiences it's easily recognized how important it was to Calm the whirlpool of the Mind or Chronic pathological over thinking( monkey chatter)

Traditional yogis believe that our souls are divine and therefore our true nature is a state of peace and bliss. But the whirls of consciousness that disturb our minds prevent us from experiencing our true nature. To reach the state of stillness—known as Samadhi—that allows us to experience the divine within us, we must reach the point where all the whirls of consciousness completely cease.

A very straightforward translation of the sutra that defines yoga. Is quieting the mind through meditation. 

Yoga is the ability to direct the mind exclusively toward an object and sustain that direction without any distractions. 

But either way, whether the aim of your practice is to experience the divine bliss that is your true nature or simply to become more present and comfortable with uncertainty, quieting the mind is the path that will get you there. 

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

@VeganAwake I had an awakening last night where I realized the importance of true contemplation. And how meditation and stillness of the mind is crucial for a proper contemplation session. Also all the bullshit distractions the ego makes, whether that's trying to escape doing proper internal questioning; shedding the layers of the ego false self. 

Do you do Kriya Yoga or some other practice?

16 minutes ago, fridjonk said:

@VeganAwake I had an awakening last night where I realized the importance of true contemplation. And how meditation and stillness of the mind is crucial for a proper contemplation session. Also all the bullshit distractions the ego makes, whether that's trying to escape doing proper internal questioning; shedding the layers of the ego false self. 

Do you do Kriya Yoga or some other practice?

Yeah it's very interesting I think the ego subconsciously knows it isn't real so it resists practices that shine light on its own unreality...?

"The ego construct is nothing more than the impulse to repeat. It is simply the path that energy once took, and the tendency for the energy to take that path again, whether it is negative or positive for the organism. 

There is endless levels of memory or mind, spirals within spirals. When your consciousness identifies with this mind or ego construct, it ties you to social conditioning, which you could call the matrix" - Samadhi (Maya illusion of the self)

I had always kept my meditation and yoga practice very simple... 

Focus on the breath in and out.

Do not resist any thoughts but simultaneously do not focus on them either.

When thoughts arise simply notice them and let them fall away.

Don't force yourself to sit for an hour and meditate I found small 10-minute periods throughout the day work well also...❤

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

Yeah, I also find that resistance to the flow of the universe is one of the best ways to let the ego stay in control. When you let go of trying to make things your way, everything seems to fall into place - in perfect order. 

I do love sitting for an hour to meditate, it's not so much of a dealbreaker for me, but I find I should definitely also be meditating more throughout the day, and staying aware while doing various tasks. But the ego loves to find ways to get away from doing so. B|

1 hour ago, VeganAwake said:

One of Leo's videos that helped is called "Distraction the egos favorite defense mechanism"

When I look back now after several Awakening experiences it's easily recognized how important it was to Calm the whirlpool of the Mind or Chronic pathological over thinking( monkey chatter)

Traditional yogis believe that our souls are divine and therefore our true nature is a state of peace and bliss. But the whirls of consciousness that disturb our minds prevent us from experiencing our true nature. To reach the state of stillness—known as Samadhi—that allows us to experience the divine within us, we must reach the point where all the whirls of consciousness completely cease.

A very straightforward translation of the sutra that defines yoga. Is quieting the mind through meditation. 

Yoga is the ability to direct the mind exclusively toward an object and sustain that direction without any distractions. 

But either way, whether the aim of your practice is to experience the divine bliss that is your true nature or simply to become more present and comfortable with uncertainty, quieting the mind is the path that will get you there. 

The question is whether having a goal/aim/direction/focus itself in meditation is simply another distraction from unconditional awareness.

@VeganAwake Purpose of the mind is creation. You are Creator. 

You are ❤️ you are Everything. 

(when this corona thing will pass so bored no distractions, teach @XYZ tantra oh c'mon I have my muse for that) 

Just to help you break ? spell. Enlightenment is not nihilistic or flat thing it's love your love. It's infinite. You are it. 

Dog came asking me to fill his water. Nothing matters? of course it matter, dog is literally me so why not helping and loving her?

Love matters man. 

Ok my guru dog don't be so spoiled you got to drink to eat now, really? ?

You know what started to suspect my dog has dreamboard hidden somewhere. 

Edited by zeroISinfinity

41 minutes ago, robdl said:

The question is whether having a goal/aim/direction/focus itself in meditation is simply another distraction from unconditional awareness.

Yep that happens of course...

People can turn doing nothing into a practice ?

Edited by VeganAwake

57 minutes ago, fridjonk said:

Yeah, I also find that resistance to the flow of the universe is one of the best ways to let the ego stay in control. When you let go of trying to make things your way, everything seems to fall into place - in perfect order. 

I do love sitting for an hour to meditate, it's not so much of a dealbreaker for me, but I find I should definitely also be meditating more throughout the day, and staying aware while doing various tasks. But the ego loves to find ways to get away from doing so. B|

Yes good stuff... everything is always falling into perfect place... it's only a separate self agenda/ego that would say otherwise.

Whatever is happening is what IS...

Dropping the resistance to what is = liberation. ❤

1 hour ago, VeganAwake said:

Yep that happens of course...

People can turn doing nothing into a practice ?

The mind can only operate through a sense of effort --- I mean the mind is this effort/volition ---  so it approaches meditation in the same manner as it would approach any other worldly activity, right?  It wouldn't know how to approach it any other way.

Edited by robdl

A very pivotal moment here was when I started to recognize although I couldn't control what thoughts would arise, they just seemed to be arising less often and without as much energy behind them. I had control of whether I entertained the thoughts or not.

Until one day I had almost no mind chatter at all... I noticed it at 10am in the morning, it was just quiet.

That same day I had a snapping out of the Matrix experience.... my mind was so quiet that I immediately recognized how everybody's Minds we're controlling them and having them run around in the rat race doing doing doing achieving achieving achieving.

I recognized our own minds have us Tangled in The Matrix....not anyone or anything else... our own minds!!

12 hours ago, zeroISinfinity said:

@VeganAwake Purpose of the mind is creation. You are Creator. 

You are ❤️ you are Everything. 

(when this corona thing will pass so bored no distractions, teach @XYZ tantra oh c'mon I have my muse for that) 

Just to help you break ? spell. Enlightenment is not nihilistic or flat thing it's love your love. It's infinite. You are it. 

Dog came asking me to fill his water. Nothing matters? of course it matter, dog is literally me so why not helping and loving her?

Love matters man. 

Ok my guru dog don't be so spoiled you got to drink to eat now, really? ?

You know what started to suspect my dog has dreamboard hidden somewhere. 

When nothing matters there isn't an issue with loving or giving your dog water... if there was that would mean something mattered.

Nothing matters has a deeper understanding...

That's okay because I didn't take the time to explain everything in detail...❤

It's unconditional love ?