Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Javfly33

Authenticity in interviews

5 posts in this topic

I´ve noticed that most of my interviews I´m completely "fake". I am starting to consider if this is the reason of my bad results.

Basically 90% of the questions they ask me I had to "invent" an answer because if i would be honest i would say just "i dont care", "no", "i didnt do nothing", etc.

Questions like:

"What is your passion"? ... I would answer "I don´t know" if i had been honest. Instead a make a complete fictional history on the go.

"How did you improve x things in your past job?"... I would anser "I didnt really, i didnt care much about last job"  if i had been honest. Instead a make a complete fictional history on the go.

I have the feeling I´m over invested in interviews, I have been inspecting my beliefs and I have this belief that one should "sell oneself" in the interview, an stupid professor told us that a time ago and since then I think i have been making myself a fool on interviews following this advice.

Maybe I should be more honest and not-invested and results will start to come? Could interviewing be similar to dating? Lol

Edited by Javfly33

I have seen it go either way really. A lot of that is really the interviewers fault that they are asking those questions. Most are looking to make some money and they really don't care much about the job. I think you should give it a shot with more authenticity because it would stand out. But not only that show up and ask them some questions about how it is to really work there and what the environment is like. I am sure that would really make them take a bit more interest in you your are really curious what it would be like to work there. 

I have known people who even make up their job history and get jobs from that too. But I think honesty is a good way to go. If you can connect well with them, then it will really help give you and edge. But it would not hurt to pause and come up with a bit more than I don't know though as well. 

@Javfly33 This sounds like a great opportunity for personal growth. For example, the question "What is your passion?". We could answer "I don't know" or "I don't care" and call it a day. Or we could get curious. . . "Hmmm, I'm disconnected from my own passions. I wonder what they are. Let me self inquire and explore what my passions might be. I can introspect, contemplate, observe and start a dream board". . . . 

I try to tell the truth in interview in a way that the interviewer wants to hear.

"Authenticity" doesn't work, sometimes its better to be fake for a while to get the job and work in it for a bit.

Most people aren't doing a job because they are passionate about it anyway. 

I'm currently following a career in SEO at the moment, but emotionally I'm slightly sad about my life at the moment, its probably best not going to bring that up in an interview.

This is same with girls, when I go and talk to girls I'm the most positive happy person in the world at that moment, I don't reveal my problems and insecurities to them.

Edited by ravlondon