Mongu9719

What is the role of suffering in spirituality?

25 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Mongu9719 said:

Why is the concept of suffering so central to spiritual teachings. 

So far, probably no one knows it, but it certainly works.

@Nahm 

an animal doesn't realise that it is something lesser, be it a person, an ego, a part of a tribe etc., let alone realise that it is the whole Cosmos (using that greek vocabulary here?). An animal is just fully emerged into the experience. It doesn't make a distinction between existence and experience (ahh that book you suggested?), and so it is bound on the Now. So by being completely in the Now, you become the Mu? 

Edited by TheGreekSeeker

For me, learning from suffering seemed to be the only way to help me grow and find wisdom. Understanding that I am the cause of all suffering I experience, provided the radical push I needed to free myself from old habits and ignorance. 

Life still brings hardship and bliss but now there is less resistance to what is and I come to life's table with a calm, loving mind and have a sense of inner joy that is always present in the background. Coming from this loving perspective my physical experiences have started to manifest more positively. I am careful, reflective with my thoughts and am excited for what life brings. 

Love.

I think suffering leads inevitably to looking internally. Without suffering, if all is going to plan, wants and needs being satisfied, the world is exactly as we have been lead to believe, as are we, a person with goals, wants and needs. When suffering happens, we become more aware of the source of suffering, wants, needs, attachments. As we become aware of these, they become more amplified, offering the opportunity to not be identified with them.