Dwarniel

How scandinavia view the US healthcare system

27 posts in this topic

truth hurts, hopefully they will catch up with the rest of the world after half the population tanks cus they cant afford care

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

I hope everyone supports bernie with actually voting.. Looks dark though

...But what if the opposite is true?

@Dwarniel i think us healthcare works for those who have riches. The system is rigged in favour of the rich people. Recently i have seen a poll that shows more than 10 million people are uninsured in America, which can create mess as the corona virus is spreading rapidly in the country. Even if the uninsured people feel sick, they won't report because they can not bear the expense of the treatment. It can make the situation much more worse. Besides that, america is lagging behind of Scandinavian countries in terms of consciousness. So obvious when the scandinavian people looks at the american health care system from above, they will think it as backward and low conscious. 

1 hour ago, Annoynymous said:

@Dwarniel  Recently i have seen a poll that shows more than 10 million people are uninsured in America, which can create mess as the corona virus is spreading rapidly in the country. Even if the uninsured people feel sick, they won't report because they can not bear the expense of the treatment. It can make the situation much more worse. 

? I feel so bad for them

2 minutes ago, Dwarniel said:

? I feel so bad for them

Gates and Bezos could probably cover all of them together. 

2 minutes ago, Annoynymous said:

@Rilles will they?

definitely not, Gates will probably give some charity though

@Rilles well, that's a pity. Look what toxic capitalism is doing to America. Where two person can help the whole country while 10 million people is uninsured.

19 minutes ago, Annoynymous said:

@Rilles well, that's a pity. Look what toxic capitalism is doing to America. Where two person can help the whole country while 10 million people is uninsured.

Bezos makes $11.5 million per hour... let that sink in... 

Edited by Rilles

49 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Not that simple. Most of his net worth comes from Amazon where we holds about 57 millions shares. At a current share price of 1,700 USD you can easily calculate how much he's worth. But this number may go up or down any moment.

So, he doesn't technically earn that money. It's just that on average his net worth increases probably by 11 million per hour as a result of the positive trend in the fluctuations of the share price.

Hence, he doesn't really have 11 million available every hour that he could spend.

He would have to sell some of his shares, which would mean losing ownership and power to make decisions in his own company.

And even if Bezos was that altruistic, selling a lot of his shares would lead to a serious crash of Amazon's value, which would lead to a serious crash of the US markets and, with that, of the global economy. And that could have all sorts of bad consequences for the whole world in this situation. It might do more harm than good.

So, all of this makes using his money to quickly help people fight the virus more complicated than it seems at first.

Splitting hairs now wouldnt you say... 

2 hours ago, Shiva said:

I think it's actually a deep, systemic dilemma. Whatever Bezos does, it's gonna have lots of bad consequences.

Amazing analysis. Many people here don't seem to understand how systems work and think way too linearly and then make bunch of drama out of nowhere

Edited by Hello from Russia

Well... Bezos just bought a 165 million usd luxury villa with: 3 hot houses, 2 guest houses, a nine-hole golf course, a tennis court, a "motor court" with gas pumps... In the meantime Americans can't afford shelter and the number of people on the street are increasing. Tax the rich. 

59 minutes ago, Dwarniel said:

Well... Bezos just bought a 165 million usd luxury villa with: 3 hot houses, 2 guest houses, a nine-hole golf course, a tennis court, a "motor court" with gas pumps... In the meantime Americans can't afford shelter and the number of people on the street are increasing. Tax the rich. 

He deserves it. Actually, more than that, based on value he created. 

53 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Such measures must be taken on a government level, but I would consider this as unlikely under Trump.

Totally agree! It's a systemic issue for sure. If I was in his situation and lived his life I'd probably do the same. ??‍♀️

Edited by Dwarniel

"We should not have to rely on the generosity of billionaires"- Anand Giridharadas

4 hours ago, Dwarniel said:

Tax the rich

If it was that easy, then why has nearly every European country repealed their wealth tax?

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

@TheAvatarState If it were done in the USA it would be built with the European failures in mind. There would be a national tax so you couldn't move money around to avoid it. The Europeans did just that, moved the money to other countries to avoid the national tax. They would be taxed wherever they are. There would also likely be an "exit tax" where if one decides to renounce citizenship, they'd be taxed 40% of their net worth if they are worth more than 50 million. 

11 minutes ago, fridjonk said:

If it were done in the USA it would be built with the European failures in mind.

No, the US is dumb and doesn't learn from other countries.

11 minutes ago, fridjonk said:

There would be a national tax so you couldn't move money around to avoid it. The Europeans did just that, moved the money to other countries to avoid the national tax.

Moving wealth to other countries cannnot be enforced. The wealth tax fails across the board because it is expensive to enforce and because it doesn't capture enough wealth. Consider a VAT, a value added tax that is already in use in nearly every industrialized country on the planet.

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo