Matt23

Self-esteem/respect issues: Social

8 posts in this topic

I've noticed that I often have this issue come up with others:    They do/say something which I feel hurts/disrespects myself or values --> I fear standing up for myself or don't since it's not the "right" time (like in the middle of a class or something) -->  when I don't express my hurt and get what I need (want?) in terms of being treated a certain way, I feel I have to either completely ignore the person or if I do give them attention (respect?) I'm lowering my own self and I feel awful...

Basically, I don't notice others being bugged by these issues around me as much...  like they don't care really about how other people treat them or they can just let things go more easily or something without feeling they are giving up and accruing lots of damage to their self-esteem and worth...

I've oftened struggled with self-esteem... I was bullied a lot I think when I was younger by my brother and have lots of negative self-image issues (don't think I'm good enough, etc. --> perhaps to a larger degree than many...?) and this issue keeps coming up --> I fear getting into any relationships since I feel someone will say or do something (maybe even unintentionally) and this whole thing will come up again and I'll feel like shit and they won't know why and it will be a huge issue and I'll get super depressed again...

How have you experienced these issues?  

What is your view?

What has helped you?  --> healing work? --> just being assertive? --> I feel like I've done the assertive thing, and that if I went all out with the assertiveness that would be mean me having to fight the other person to be as I want.... and I don't see that as being very viable...  ?

Maybe it's just that I have such a low self-image which makes me that sensitive to others?  --> solution? --> develop/work on/get rid of my self-image more?

Cheers

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

How have you used a dream-board to help with self-esteem?

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

The self-esteem issue actually plagues most of the world. The many problems we have in society stems from a lack of self-esteem. Most people are just really good at hiding it, but know that you are not alone in this issue. The reason why most of us do anything is for validation from others. Most people who seem like they have high self-esteem are living in an illusion. They only feel that way because of the external validations. If you take away their external validations they quickly crumble into a chaotic mess.

The way to obtain true self-esteem comes from loving yourself as you are. When you learn to accept yourself with all of your flaws, and don't judge yourself for who you are, you will develop a high sense of self-esteem that isn't dependent on any external validations.

What has helped me is a variety of many things I have done. I have made a lot of progress, but I am still far from perfect and still have a lot of work left to do.

Here are some things that helped me:

- Pushing my comfort zone, and doing the things that scare me or make me uncomfortable. I'm still finding ways to push my comfort zone regularly. This has helped me to grow and develop and has boosted my confidence.

- Regular meditation for a period of years. This has allowed me to ground myself and create the space I need to learn more about who I am. This is an on-going practice for me because it is a tool that helps me.

- Learning new things and constantly improving my skills. This makes me feel more competent and less dependent on others to make my way through this world.

- Psychedelics (Really helps put things into perspective and pushes through a lot of your emotional wounds.)

- Energy healing like reiki, and guided meditations.

- Having more confrontations with people, to the point of almost getting into fist fights. Also known as expressing myself more authentically.

You mentioned you fear standing up for yourself and being more assertive. It does feel like you have to fight others to be as you want to be. It's true. In a sense you do have to fight others to be as you want to be. Not physically, but energetically you need to fight. Everyone wants to impose their will on you. The more you express yourself authentically without judging yourself, the better you will feel. That means sometimes your authentic emotions will look ugly to the outside world. Authenticity is not always pleasant. Dare to be more assertive. Dare to be more opinionated. Dare to stand up for yourself and express yourself as you want to. Dare to love yourself.

Edited by ZenBlue