Average Investor

What are you favorite biographies?

44 posts in this topic

Read Steve Irwin's biography is you want to see what unbridled passion and drive towards a life purpose looks like. There's two books written after his death which I've read, 'My Steve'- by Terry Irwin (makes me cry every time) and one written by his friend, 'My Mate Steve' by Wes Mannion.

Both are amazing reads. hahaha I actually recommended for Leo to put on his book list ages ago.    

Leonardo Da Vinci The Biography - by Walter Isaacson is amazing. After reading it, it´s like you have a 3D model of Leonardo´s character. I don´t know how to describe it, maybe I am just an obsessed Da Vinci fan. xD But this book demystifies Leonardo´s character and his genius, you see how his genius originated and how it unfolds over his lifetime and especially you get a sense of the costs and problems he faced because he chose to architect his way of doing things the way he did. (In the end all great achievements originate in the arrangement of habits and mindsets and in this book you get a glimpse into the architecture of Leonardo`s mind)
I can only recommend it especially if you like Da Vinci. ^_^

11 hours ago, Calcifer said:

Leonardo Da Vinci The Biography - by Walter Isaacson is amazing. After reading it, it´s like you have a 3D model of Leonardo´s character. I don´t know how to describe it, maybe I am just an obsessed Da Vinci fan. xD But this book demystifies Leonardo´s character and his genius, you see how his genius originated and how it unfolds over his lifetime and especially you get a sense of the costs and problems he faced because he chose to architect his way of doing things the way he did. (In the end all great achievements originate in the arrangement of habits and mindsets and in this book you get a glimpse into the architecture of Leonardo`s mind)

Yeah, it was really good.

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

@Calcifer Thanks a lot! I will add that one to my things to read! I appreciate the description of the book.

Edited by Average Investor

Did anybody read some really good biographies about historic leaders/visionaries, like Julius Caesar, Augustus, Alexander The Great. I am slightly concerned, that I buy a few books about these great leaders and they turn out to be just dry historical analyses. And instead of inspiring you, they are more likely to bore you to death. haha o.O

On 6/2/2020 at 2:18 PM, Calcifer said:

Everything by Walter Isaacson is great. I read his Steve Jobs and Benjamin Franklin books without having much prior knowledge, and they were awesome.

Going to revive this topic as I am looking for more. I am in the middle of reading Walt Disney's biography and it is incredible. 

Well i read only one so far.. Nicola Tesla's autobiography. It was very interesting

On 4/16/2020 at 11:03 AM, okulele said:

Theodor Roosvelt's was great.

Yogananda's "Autbiography of a yogi". So good.

Just reading Alan Watt's "In My Own Way". Awesomeness :)

Haven't read Alan Watts "In my own way" though it's got to be good. I'm with you on the other two for sure. I still laugh about a quote of Roosevelt's while he was working cattle in the Dakota's. Word had it that he instructed a couple of other cowboys in the midst of a hectic stampede that they should "hasten forward quickly". xD lol Besides Roosevelt's biography a fairly recent book titled River of Doubt about his expedition in South America is a real good read. 

George Washington's biography'', Washington A Life by Ron Chernow I found very interesting despite it's length. In battles he was like a cat with nine lives. And talk about being under stress,,, jeez,, His whole life was nothing but stress. That pretty much goes for lincoln too. Team Of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin is a good one. Movie was good too.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

@Zigzag Idiot I am going to get the Alan watts one for sure. I really enjoyed the autobiography of a yogi as well. 

18 hours ago, Zigzag Idiot said:

George Washington's biography'', Washington A Life by Ron Chernow I found very interesting despite it's length. In battles he was like a cat with nine lives. And talk about being under stress,,, jeez,, His whole life was nothing but stress. That pretty much goes for lincoln too. Team Of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin is a good one. Movie was good too.

Sounds pretty interesting. Did you personally get any value from them? I have not considered them. I seem to be learning a lot history as I read these as well. 

9 hours ago, Average Investor said:

@Zigzag Idiot I am going to get the Alan watts one for sure. I really enjoyed the autobiography of a yogi as well. 

Sounds pretty interesting. Did you personally get any value from them? I have not considered them. I seem to be learning a lot history as I read these as well. 

Absolutely. Washington’s biography most of all with Lincoln’s, a close second. A good biographer/writer can not only put you inside the subjects head but their heart as well, IME.  I haven’t read any other of Ron Chernow’s biographies but I have some of Doris Kearns Goodwin’s.  They’re both talented in what they do spending an enormous amount of time researching the slightest details and then composing an engrossing story. Washington was such a responsible and equanimous character. to a remarkable degree. Lincoln as well but spiced more also  with a  compassionate heart. Being able to get into the hearts and minds of these great men may not have changed my character but knowing about them better than I did before has maybe stretched my conscience in having such real life examples of ordinary men becoming such extraordinary leaders.

@Zigzag Idiot Awesome, I totally agree with that. It really gives you a new perspective on what is possible. I enjoy the deep research and fine details. 

I am going to put Washington on my list to read and possibly Lincoln too. 

My only thing is the time it takes to get through one and the actual weight of the book lol. I seem to get more out of the paperback, but it is tempting to use it on my kindle. My posture is awful while reading these. I don't mind the length if I balance it out with other good books and the author is good. I don't mind it taking a bit if the read is really good though. 

Do you have any notes that you take? I use book marks to mark notable events in the book, plus take some notes on what make them successful. 

@Average Investor A lot of times I’ll make abbreviated notes in the last 2 or 3 empty pages of a book along with the page number. 
You’re right about the amount of time it takes but I find if I’m really into a book it goes much quicker. I’ll read for just 3-4 minutes periodically through the day and longer when I can.

@Zigzag Idiot I have a bunch of little sticky note tabs. Might be worth a try to write a couple words on them. I seem to be able to recall a book by them at a much quicker glance and they take me to significant points. I might give the notes you do a shot too. 

I like doing an hour in the morning and some more whenever I can. Yeah, my speed has been great right now with the Walt Disney Bio. I am starting to slow a little now that I am about half way through it. The pages have much more text than most of the other books I read too. 

Yes. I think there are about endless biographies written on Lincoln, some of which just have to be good but for starters, I highly recommend Team of Rivals.