SQAAD

How To Accept Something ?

4 posts in this topic

I can't wrap my mind around acceptance...  For example a therapist told me to accept uncertainty . He says acceptance is an undoing , not something you do.  So how do you accept something ?? What is Acceptance after all??

Edited by SQAAD

Acceptance is simply recognition. 

For example, you spill coffee on the floor and you're thinking: "No, this is not happening!" See, this thought is a lie. A lie is the opposite of acceptance. On the other hand, acceptance would say: "Yes, this just happened. I'm gonna clean it up now." So, acceptance always says "yes" to everything that happened because that's the truth. But you see, acceptance is not passive, instead, acceptance acknowledges what happened and it reaponds with the appropriate action.

In other words, acceptance is the opposite of the denial of truth.

1 hour ago, SQAAD said:

He says acceptance is an undoing , not something you do.  

He's right. Just stop pretending you know because knowing is resistance. Acceptance always seems to be there when you are able to let go of knowing. For me it sounds like the way he's wording it is problematic and it's causing you confusion. 

@SQAAD You cant accept acceptance, so drop the need to accept that. Just drop it. Let it out of your mind. When another thought arises, drop that one too. Repeat.