Dazgwny

Past lives

20 posts in this topic

I’ve noticed in a few of Leo’s videos he mentions past lives from time to time. Not much just a brief comment but never really goes in depth with it. But I really struggle with the notion of past lives, or at least from the point of view it commonly presented. I just can’t get in line with it, feel it’s a complete fiction, absolutely delusional. The claims of ‘ i was this in a past life’ or ‘ I was that’. I can’t wrap my mind around it as every life there’s ever been and ever will be you are it. So the claims of some clown saying he was a man beaten to death or a slave or whatever in a past life to me just doesn’t stack up. Of course you were because you’ve been and are all lives. So how and why do people try point out one particular life story, or a few? And claim that was them, but another life wouldn’t have been them. Also no one ever says they were anything positive in a past life, it’s always some negative scenario. Riles me it does it really does. I feel it’s just an ego delusion, a made up story by the ego to make it feel as though it itself is immortal, has lived before and will live again, and always and forever. I’m no expert, far from it, so I’m completely open to anyone correcting me or giving me a new angle to see this through

@Dazgwny The only way I could understand the past life module is if conciousness branches to individual conciousness streams of consecutive lives. But even then, the individual streams will recconect with the river. 

tnc_35058117.jpg

Edited by Red-White-Light

Nice one cheers for the opinions. Think Leo should do a video clear this up for us haha

There's a guy who goes by the names Dr. K, or HealthyGamerGG, he's a Harvard educated psychologist/psychiatrist and also has a lot of experience with spiritual stuff such as meditation, yoga etc which he weaves nicely into his practice (Check him out on YouTube/Twitch, he's got fantastic content), he's Indian btw and apparently is a disciple of some Guru but I don't know all the details. 

He mentioned past lives a few times on his stream but didn't go into depth, until one day he went a little more into depth when asked to, and basically what he said is that it's not logical or rational to just believe in past lives and that most of his life he didn't buy it either until he experienced a flood of memories and recollections that seemed to be from a past life when in deep meditation, and they felt just as "real" as any other memory. Sadly I can't find the exact video where he talked about it, but in summary, he says that experiences of having strong recollections of past lives that seem just as real as any other recollections or memories is a real thing that happens to people. There's more to it but yeah.

This is almost word for word the thread I was just about to create, haha. I would have downplayed my frustration, but if I’m honest with myself, the past lives model makes so little sense to me in light of non-duality that it actually does irk me quite a bit when I hear people(whom I assume understand the truth of no-self and God) talk about it as if it’s definitely a thing.  

I mean I’m willing to have my mind changed.  In fact I would love it If someone can tell how it is that you have no real individual identity, yet there is something about you specifically that gets past on from life to life. Obviously, you as God get reincarnated from life to life infinitely, but it’s something else to say that I have my own string of past lives and someone else has their own string that is somehow separate from mine.  

I’m open minded. But at the moment I don’t know how you can make much sense of this idea when you understand that you are God who lives all lives. 

@Dazgwny Not sure about consciousness reincarnating, but DNA definitely has memories. Its not proven that dna contains visual memories, but definitely functional ones, like for example if your mother became afraid of water at a certain point in her life, because of trauma, it condenses the DNA differently, so that you will probably be aversive towards water.

Now didn't have a lot of past life regressions, but I remember (like a memory) being my great grandfather or grandfather (not sure) seeing my grandmother and feeling intense love. Maybe I am deluding myself but it felt real. Moreover there are stories of people remembering past lives about people they had nothing to do with. CHILDREN... and it turned out to prove crimes etc.

1 hour ago, The Lucid Dreamer said:

This is almost word for word the thread I was just about to create, haha. I would have downplayed my frustration, but if I’m honest with myself, the past lives model makes so little sense to me in light of non-duality that it actually does irk me quite a bit when I hear people(whom I assume understand the truth of no-self and God) talk about it as if it’s definitely a thing.  

I mean I’m willing to have my mind changed.  In fact I would love it If someone can tell how it is that you have no real individual identity, yet there is something about you specifically that gets past on from life to life. Obviously, you as God get reincarnated from life to life infinitely, but it’s something else to say that I have my own string of past lives and someone else has their own string that is somehow separate from mine.  

I’m open minded. But at the moment I don’t know how you can make much sense of this idea when you understand that you are God who lives all lives. 

@The Lucid Dreamer this is pretty much exactly where I’m at with it although you seem to be able to put it across a tad better than I do haha

@Dazgwny Haha, well I’ve been ruminating over it for a few years now.  It wasn’t until just recently that I heard Leo making remarks suggesting that he buys into the past life model, so I’ve recently been planning on creating a thread about it. But you beat me to it. ;P 

You need to look at some data that has been collected by scientists. There are children who in the first years of their lives (until 7 or 8 years old) have memories of a past life and are able to describe with uncanny precision who that person was. Scientists have observed this and have in many cases found the person being described, making sure that the details given by the child were accurate enough. I don't remember the details, but was very much convinced of the veracity of the whole thing.

What does this mean for nonduality? I don't know, the human mind can't understand infinity.

Alternative Rock Music and Spirituality on YouTube: The Buddha Visions

13 minutes ago, Gili Trawangan said:

You need to look at some data that has been collected by scientists. There are children who in the first years of their lives (until 7 or 8 years old) have memories of a past life and are able to describe with uncanny precision who that person was. Scientists have observed this and have in many cases found the person being described, making sure that the details given by the child were accurate enough. I don't remember the details, but was very much convinced of the veracity of the whole thing.

What does this mean for nonduality? I don't know, the human mind can't understand infinity.

I’m fine with this data, but I’m afraid it does nothing to prove the past life model how it is normally thought of by most: That is that each person has their own unique string of past lives, suggesting that their is something specifically about them that gets past on from life to life like a soul.

What seems more likely to me is that this suggests these people are tapping into what is known as the Akashic Records which is thought of as a compendium of all human events, thoughts, words, emotions, and intent ever to have occurred in the past, present, or future.  In other words, their consciousness may be tapping into infinite intelligence so to speak, and in doing so they are able to recall lives that HAVE been lived(by God).  Not lives that THEY necessarily lived.  

Just a hypothesis, but I’m open minded to the traditional past life model if someone has a good argument or evidence for it. 

Did a regression once, took me a week to gather myself.
I even managed to pinpoint my house in radius of 100 meters.

Will visit the spot at some point, I am just kind of afraid of how will I manage to deal with that wave of depersonalization again.

1 hour ago, The Lucid Dreamer said:

I’m fine with this data, but I’m afraid it does nothing to prove the past life model how it is normally thought of by most: That is that each person has their own unique string of past lives, suggesting that their is something specifically about them that gets past on from life to life like a soul.

What seems more likely to me is that this suggests these people are tapping into what is known as the Akashic Records which is thought of as a compendium of all human events, thoughts, words, emotions, and intent ever to have occurred in the past, present, or future.  In other words, their consciousness may be tapping into infinite intelligence so to speak, and in doing so they are able to recall lives that HAVE been lived(by God).  Not lives that THEY necessarily lived.  

Just a hypothesis, but I’m open minded to the traditional past life model if someone has a good argument or evidence for it. 

I would agree with what you're saying, it sounds reasonable, but it is just speculation either way, whether you are defending the existence of souls or not. I don't see how there's any way of knowing exactly how it works. To be honest, I am perfectly fine with not knowing or understanding.

Alternative Rock Music and Spirituality on YouTube: The Buddha Visions

13 hours ago, Gili Trawangan said:

I would agree with what you're saying, it sounds reasonable, but it is just speculation either way, whether you are defending the existence of souls or not. I don't see how there's any way of knowing exactly how it works. To be honest, I am perfectly fine with not knowing or understanding.

Sure, it’s speculation. But every hypothesis is speculation. The difference between a good hypothesis and a bad one is the amount of unwarranted assumptions it has.  

I’m sure you are familiar with the philosophical principle of Occam’s Razor: The problem solving tool that states that when forming a hypothesis, one should not multiply entities unnecessarily. In other words, the more conservative or simple hypothesis is the most likely. 

For example: when forming a hypothesis on how it is that people are experiencing memories that aren’t their own, you shouldn’t posit something else that would need a completely separate explanation of it’s own such as the existence of a soul that gets past on from life to life. That only further complicates the issue in a way that is not warranted given what we actually know. 

What we know is that people are experiencing memories of lives that aren’t theirs.  We know that they are remembering “A” life. What we don’t know is if they are remembering THEIR OWN life; A life that no one else could necessarily remember by virtue of that life somehow belonging exclusively to them via something like a soul.  That is an extra wrinkle that we have no real reason to assume at this point. 

My hypothesis isn’t positing anything that we have absolutely no basis for. At least I believe that there is a basis for tapping into infinite intelligence given all of the evidence for psychic phenomenon such as telepathy and clairvoyance.  Leo and many other mystics I think would even agree that tapping into infinite intelligence to ascertain information that should be beyond your reach is possible. 

@Dazgwny I once became conscious that I was a monkey. However, I've never cognized or got a glimse of some past live that I was beaten to death or lying on a street living the life of a beggar

Infinite consciousness. Anything can happen. There may be apparent connections across various nodes and this possibility becomes quite obvious in high states of consciousness from meditation and psychedelics, and even in every day living with high level awakening.

I’ve been quite shocked by many past life experiences in my earlier days of consciousness work. But then when real time and causality were seen to be illusory, apparent past lives were no longer even cause for batting an eyelid. There’s literally not even any separation of any kind — past lives now seem many orders less disconcerting and impossible to wrap the mind around.

Want a clean answer? There are no past lives. What are past lives in reality is your ancestor lineage, the same "god" you are, experiencing itself in other time period, other body, etc. 

Those clinging to past live into this one is called dillusion, religion, etc. 

Singer

14™